Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
NuMystic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 4D Sedan
What are my options for SERIOUSLY protecting by front grille and real bumper?

Have an '09 Yaris 4 door sedan and moved to a neighborhood that is putting a severe beating on my car.

Rear bumper is covered in scratches and scrapes and the front grill is already cracked which also caused hairline cracks in the paint surrounding it.

Virtually all of this is coming from other drivers when parking. This is a densely populated area where the only spots are parallel parking and people are constantly bashing their way in and out of spaces. No matter how careful I am, it is absolutely inevitable that both the front and rear are going to continue getting hammered.

Moving or renting garage space is completely out of the question.

So before I get the repairs and repainting done I need to have a protection plan or I'm just going to have to do it all over again in 6 months.

Can anyone recommend products that offer serious front and rear protection?

I'm open to anything from things that adhere to or replace the bumpers to a full on nudge/bull bar type solution. Just not those dumb bumper bully things for the back please. :)
NuMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's a tough one. The Yaris bumpers and grill are relatively fragile, where frequent flexing from contact will lead to cracking, so anything that sticks onto the surface will exacerbate the issue.

There is nothing off-the-shelf that I am aware of, but the best solution would probably be rubber pads which mount to the metal support, under the bumper skin, and protrude through holes in the bumper skin, so that they take the impact, rather than the bumper skin.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Something like this:

$(KGrHqMOKooE6eVU7UV4BOw96petu!~~60_12.JPG
Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
For the rear, I would install a trailer hitch with the biggest, greasiest, scratched/nicked up towing ball or install a trailer hitch bike rack (even if you don't use it for bicycles). On the front, a similar tow hook perhaps?
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i have been thinking of making a small rally bar on the front of my car for protection and another set of lights....

I have been looking for a cheap used one from a truck as a base line to start on and make it fit

kinda like these, i like the truck style better and saw one recently like this on a subaru and it looked great

Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
i have been thinking of making a small rally bar on the front of my car for protection and another set of lights....

I have been looking for a cheap used one from a truck as a base line to start on and make it fit

kinda like these, i like the truck style better and saw one recently like this on a subaru and it looked great

I want to make one of those for my Yaris so badly. Out where I live not only do I contend with nutty drivers, wildlife collisions are relatively common. Even something like a coyote or dog could mess up my front end unpleasantly. Plus those things look dang cool.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
NuMystic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 4D Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post

Anyone have any tips on actually getting this done for a Yaris Sedan. I REALLY need a bull bar for mine and don't even know where to start.
NuMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

for the sedan im not 100% sure but what i was planning on my HB is to remove or cut out the lower grill and mount it onto either the bumper support bar or bottom rad.

Keep in mind you would need to make it removeable in the even you need to remove your bumper
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
yaris2010RS

Just to Clarify..... Kinda...

Behind the front bumper, you can mount either where the I/C is mounted to on the bumper support or on the bottom rad support

on the outside of the bumper it will look something like this if you choose the rad support. PIAA Lights go where the blue dots are. Red dots would represent holes or soemthing

Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuMystic View Post
Have an '09 Yaris 4 door sedan and moved to a neighborhood that is putting a severe beating on my car.

Rear bumper is covered in scratches and scrapes and the front grill is already cracked which also caused hairline cracks in the paint surrounding it.

Virtually all of this is coming from other drivers when parking. This is a densely populated area where the only spots are parallel parking and people are constantly bashing their way in and out of spaces. No matter how careful I am, it is absolutely inevitable that both the front and rear are going to continue getting hammered.

Moving or renting garage space is completely out of the question.

So before I get the repairs and repainting done I need to have a protection plan or I'm just going to have to do it all over again in 6 months.

Can anyone recommend products that offer serious front and rear protection?

I'm open to anything from things that adhere to or replace the bumpers to a full on nudge/bull bar type solution. Just not those dumb bumper bully things for the back please. :)
I've often thought that if someone wanted to torture me (and keep me in this country ) they would force me to own a car and live in parts of New York like yours, or similar parts of Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, or San Francisco. When I was growing up, three different households on my dad's side lived in different parts of San Francisco...and trying to find a place to park while visiting them was a huge nightmare. More recently, a cousin on my mother's side owned about 35% of an old house in Pacific Heights in San Francisco that had been divided into condos. She had a 1 car garage and one space between the garage door and the start of the sidewalk. Whenever she held an event at her place it was a battle to see who could get there first and get that one space.

I like the idea, from another post on this thread, of putting on a trailer hitch with a ball as covered with grease and dirt, etc. as possible (and both front and rear if possible) .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Anyone have any tips on actually getting this done for a Yaris Sedan. I REALLY need a bull bar for mine and don't even know where to start.
Yeah, this might work better....but I still like Yaristeve's somewhat twisted suggestions !
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
When I was growing up, three different households on my dad's side lived in different parts of San Francisco...and trying to find a place to park while visiting them was a huge nightmare.
You know what was worse was that the residents felt it is perfectly normal and acceptable to "park by feel". I had an uncle who lived in one of those hilly areas and he would just back up until, "clunk" and then move forward until, "clunk". When my dad said something, my uncle just said, "This is how you park here. Everyone does it." This was back in the 60s tho, so I hope things are different now...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
You know what was worse was that the residents felt it is perfectly normal and acceptable to "park by feel". I had an uncle who lived in one of those hilly areas and he would just back up until, "clunk" and then move forward until, "clunk". When my dad said something, my uncle just said, "This is how you park here. Everyone does it." This was back in the 60s tho, so I hope things are different now...
I'm thinking of the late 60s and 70s. Even in the 2000s I would see people sitting in lawn chairs in rare empty spaces, saving them, and would only leave (after a fair amount of time) if SFPD shooed them away. Of the cities I mentioned the only one that has SOME very densely populated sections I've been to where the condition of people's cars is respected is Chicago.

I remember going to the Hard Rock Cafe on Hollywood Blvd. in late 2010 and trying to find a place to park on a nearby side street, before giving up and parking in the huge garage that is part of that complex. Somehow that wasn't as frustrating --- partially because the cost to park in that big garage wasn't outrageous (it might have even been validated?) and partially because if you get frustrated driving on those streets you can just head farther up into the hills (less congestion!) for a few minutes or more and then try again. I remember what that area looked like before that gargantuan complex was built around the year 2000.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
If you know someone who has had this done, did it effect their insurance rate?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
For the rear, I would install a trailer hitch with the biggest, greasiest, scratched/nicked up towing ball or install a trailer hitch bike rack (even if you don't use it for bicycles). On the front, a similar tow hook perhaps?
No joke!!
I had an Expedition with a hitch and ball. It lined up perfectly with the average Honda Civic grill!!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
No joke!!
I had an Expedition with a hitch and ball. It lined up perfectly with the average Honda Civic grill!!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
Too bad the OP lives in New York!