Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
Micropurchase

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Steering column compatibility between Euro Yaris and US Yaris

Does anybody know if it is possible to directly swap a Euro Yaris' telescopic steering column to a US Yaris and how easy that would be to do? If not that then perhaps a Corolla or Prius C's telescopic steering column? I am looking for a way to get the steering wheel closer to me. I need at least another 2 -3 inches of steering column extension.

I am having the same problem as others have discussed on other threads on Yaris World with the steering wheel being too far away when the seat is in a comfortable position relative to the gas and brake pedals. I have seen discussion threads about modifications to the drivers seat angle to improve the akward driving position problem, as well as installation of an aftermarket steering wheel (I want to keep the airbag), but nothing about swapping a telescopic steering column from a Euro Yaris or other Toyota vehicle to the US Yaris.
Micropurchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The pinout for the European Yaris EPS ECU is identical to the USDM, so if you could find a Left Hand Drive steering column, it should work.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Micropurchase

So a right hand drive column would not work? Is some component opposite on the right hand drive versus left hand drive?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micropurchase View Post
So a right hand drive column would not work? Is some component opposite on the right hand drive versus left hand drive?
I haven't seen them side by side to compare, but the RHD and LHD ones have different part numbers, so something is different.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Micropurchase

Do you happen to have the part numbers for the LHD steering column?

I'm going to see if I can acquire a column from overseas, get it installed in my car, and then report back to Yaris World on total cost and my assessment on improvement of driver's position/comfort so that other Yaris owners may weigh it as an option.

Thanks for hosting/moderating this website. Lots of good suggestions and discussion on modifications.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the LHD steering column?

I'm going to see if I can acquire a column from overseas, get it installed in my car, and then report back to Yaris World on total cost and my assessment on improvement of driver's position/comfort so that other Yaris owners may weigh it as an option.

Thanks for hosting/moderating this website. Lots of good suggestions and discussion on modifications.
All of the following are part numbers for the telescoping LHD ones:
45200-0D160
45200-0D161
45200-0D162
45200-0D163
45200-0D164
45200-0D165
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Micropurchase

Any ideas on what European countries would have vehicles which would bear these part numbers? I know that basically all European countries except for the UK are LHD, but I don't know if Yaris in those countries would all bear these part numbers.

Are the RHD columns part numbers 89650-0D###? Saw a few of those available for sale online.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
I suggest we all mail Toyota abotu the steering being too far/non adjustable, maybe they will fix it in a year or two. Actually they have eveything better in the euro yaris: nicer taillights, double floor trunk (with more volume), 1.3l engine, telescopic steering, more options...

Last edited by broody; 05-13-2012 at 12:46 AM.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
Micropurchase

I agree with Broody. The non-telescopic column sucks. It has been such a problem for me that I have seriously considered selling the vehicle. I really wish I had realized that this was going to be a problem before I bought the vehicle, but dealerships only allow you to test drive for so long (20 minutes max generally). I didn't notice it was a problem until after driving the vehicle for an hour. Terrible pinchy back strain just below the shoulders.

My research into the feasibility of swapping the steering column is more or less a last ditch effort to try and fix the problem before I resort to just selling the vehicle. I figure if I can find some kind of feasible fix and post it to Yaris World, that it will be equally valuable to other Yaris owners also.

Toyota finally relented a few years ago and started installing telescopic steering in the Corolla. I don't know why they won't do the same with the Yaris.

I also agree with Broody that it would be nice if Toyota offered the same options that they do for the Yaris that they do in Europe. I especially would like to see diesel engines and Start-Stop technology as an option.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Another solution to look into would be aftermarket steering wheels, you can get extensions for them (or a deep dish wheel) that would bring them closer. But you do lose the airbag. Otherwise, I found that having the seat back as upright as possible, and the seat a little more forward than is comfortable for the legs, to give the best results

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Any ideas on what European countries would have vehicles which would bear these part numbers? I know that basically all European countries except for the UK are LHD, but I don't know if Yaris in those countries would all bear these part numbers.

Are the RHD columns part numbers 89650-0D###? Saw a few of those available for sale online.
No, RHD ones still start with 45200. 89650- is the Power Steering ECU, not the steering column. In the European EPC, the steering column is called the "Post, Steering".
Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Micropurchase

I looked into the aftermarket steering wheel option. The Works Bell hub (long one) + 2" LTB spacer + Momo steering wheel = ~ 1/4 - 1/2 inch shorter column than the existing stock steering wheel setup. The 2" spacer was the longest spacer I saw available online that is compatible with the hub except for the custom length rivet spacer that can be ordered from Works Bell. The only way I could see that I could get more column length would be to order the custom rivet spacer at something like a 5" length. Extending the steering wheel also makes the steering column-mounted controls, like the turn signal, far away from my fingers. I would prefer that the whole column just extend out. That and losing the airbag made this an unfavorable solution.
I don't like the idea of losing the airbag. It really doesn't seem like a good idea on a vehicle this small. In the event of a head-on collision, that would be the one that would most likely save your life.

I have found that your suggestion of keeping the seat back very upright helps. It's hard to get the seat closer though. I have the steering column all the way in the highest position. My knee would hit the column when I move to press the brake if I were any closer. I am 5'10", 170 lbs for readers' reference.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Micropurchase

I'm a little confused by the reference that both LHD and RHD have the same beginning part number of 45200 for the "post, steering." So it is the ending of the part number (-0D###) that is important to match? It appears that 45200 is used to number other parts on the column also.

e.g. - "Steering pump 45200-0D053"
Looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-TOYOTA-...item4165c04d5a

Sorry about my ignorance regarding part numbers.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm a little confused by the reference that both LHD and RHD have the same beginning part number of 45200 for the "post, steering." So it is the ending of the part number (-0D###) that is important to match? It appears that 45200 is used to number other parts on the column also.

e.g. - "Steering pump 45200-0D053"
Looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-TOYOTA-...item4165c04d5a

Sorry about my ignorance regarding part numbers.
Don't look for anything other than the part numbers I listed above. Many parts share similar numbers, but obviously are not the same parts.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #15
Micropurchase

Still exploring options to extend the steering column. . . .

For those who wish to consider swapping out the stock steering column for a telescopic version, I found a supplier in the UK (http://pentagon.toyota.co.uk/) who can provide a Yaris left hand drive telescopic column (part #45200-0d165) for £998.60 shipped to the US. The amount of extension on the column; however, is only about 1.5 inches. I need at least 3 inches, so that won't work for me.

I'm now looking at the possibility of using a Works Bell BOSS hub + 2" LTB spacer with a custom manufactured adaptor that will allow the stock steering wheel (and airbag) to be connected back to the spacer and hub. I'm pretty certain this endeavor will require some wire splicing (wire length extension) for electrical between the column and steering wheel to accomodate the additional hub and spacer length. Any comments on this idea?

I would like to examine the wiring between the column and the wheel, but have not yet been able to figure out how to remove the airbag. There are two holes on the underside of the wheel associated with releasing the airbag, I assume. My guess is that it is clipped rather than screwed in. Does anybody know what tool is used to unclip the airbag and how that is done?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The thread below has some good pictures of the clips. If you pop off the cover where the cruise control stalk would mount, you can use a screwdriver to release the spring clips.

www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37205&page=2
Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
Micropurchase

@CTScott

Do you know what the clockspring part number is for the 2012 Yaris SE and where I might be able to get one at a reasonable price? Toyota dealership parts is quoting me $600+ (!!!) on that part. As part of my steering wheel extension project, I need to extend the wiring (splice) on the clockspring to accomodate the extension (3 inches) and be able to attach to the airbag. I want to keep the original stock clockspring one as a spare to return the vehicle to original condition if need be. I have radio controls and cruise control on the steering wheel.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
@CTScott

Do you know what the clockspring part number is for the 2012 Yaris SE and where I might be able to get one at a reasonable price? Toyota dealership parts is quoting me $600+ (!!!) on that part. As part of my steering wheel extension project, I need to extend the wiring (splice) on the clockspring to accomodate the extension (3 inches) and be able to attach to the airbag. I want to keep the original stock clockspring one as a spare to return the vehicle to original condition if need be. I have radio controls and cruise control on the steering wheel.
84307-47020

It is used on a few different vehicles, but a quick google search shows them selling for around $500.