Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2022, 08:16 PM   #1
JParsons

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Serpentine belt installation

I am attempting to replace the serpentine belt in my 2007 1.5L Yaris. The old belt slipped off easily enough, but I’ll be danged if I can stretch the new one on. I can get it over the crankshaft, AC, and waterpump pulleys, but the alternater pulley (smallest and most readily accessible of the four pulleys) seems too far for the belt to stretch.
I compared the new belt to the old and they appear to be the same length. I called the parts store and asked them to reconfirm the part number (Continental 4040465) and they say it’s correct.
I finally unbolted the alternater from its top bracket so I can swing it down far enough to get the belt on, but no way can I swing it back up to the top bracket now.
There is no tensioner pulley or any other way to gain slack besides moving the alternater, so what gives? How is this supposed to be done?
JParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
i personaly have never had any luck doing the alt last...i always do the waterpump last as its a smooth slick surface and the belt will typicaly slide right on...and ive done it on the side of the road on a hot engine....
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 01:30 AM   #3
Cletus Garfunkle
Average KKT User

Drives: 2001 Echo
Look at the top of the alternator there should be a bracket the holds it to the head.
You might have to take off the engine cover to see it.
The tensioner on these motors is the alternator.
Loosen the bottom bolt on the alternator then the one on top push it back install belt then pull alternator back and tighten bolts.
Hope this helps.
Cletus Garfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlMZV7A5Dk
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
He has managed to move the alternator toward the block.
He has managed to get the belt on.
What he is saying he can't do at this point is move the alternator forward to create tension.
You can either loosen the lower bolt on the alternator, or using the safe spot that does exist between the block and the alternator without risking damage to the pcv, use a bar to pry the alternator forward. You should be able to move it since you actually pushed it back by hand.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
uhh sounds to me like he fully undid the top bolt of the alt and swung it out past "normal operation" in an attempt to get the belt on IE the alt is now touching the AC pump..and while you cna get a belt on that way youll never get the alt over the "tight spot" youve created in the arc of the alt swing..

pull the belt put the alt back TIGHT to the block and stuff the belt on all the correct routing and do the water pump last
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
uhh sounds to me like he fully undid the top bolt of the alt and swung it out past "normal operation"
I believe right you are.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:42 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParsons View Post
I am attempting to replace the serpentine belt in my 2007 1.5L Yaris. The old belt slipped off easily enough, but I’ll be danged if I can stretch the new one on. I can get it over the crankshaft, AC, and waterpump pulleys, but the alternater pulley (smallest and most readily accessible of the four pulleys) seems too far for the belt to stretch.
I compared the new belt to the old and they appear to be the same length. I called the parts store and asked them to reconfirm the part number (Continental 4040465) and they say it’s correct.
I finally unbolted the alternater from its top bracket so I can swing it down far enough to get the belt on, but no way can I swing it back up to the top bracket now.
There is no tensioner pulley or any other way to gain slack besides moving the alternater, so what gives? How is this supposed to be done?
You likely have the belt incorrectly routed around the timing mark's "ear" around the 12oclock position on the drive pulley. You will almost never see it unless you know what to look for and it will cause your belt to fall short no matter what you do.

Triple check that area and reset the belt in the correct routing and you will be fine.

Ask me how I know...

Tags
serpentine belt