Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
Yaris & Consumer Reports

I just got the new March 2009 Consumer Reports, (I've been a subscriber for years) and they have tested 5 small cars: The Yaris, Suzuki SX4, Versa, Chevy Aveo, and the Honda Phit.

The Phit was scored first in it's class, but the Yaris scored too low in their tests to be recommended. In fact, the Yaris hatchback came in second-to-last, scoring just above the Chevy Aveo.

This report cannot be welcome by Toyota, although I'm sure Honda is quite pleased by it. I'm just curious, has anybody read any magazine or online articles which rates the Yaris superior to the Phit, overall?

I own a 2007 Yaris hatch, and a 2009 Honda Phit w/Nav.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
LINK??
Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
bobby

No link...you'd have to buy the magazine, or read it at the library.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
yeah CR has hated the Yaris since the beginning for lack of safety, since then ABS and side airbags are standard but the hate remains
Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
... has anybody read any magazine or online articles which rates the Yaris superior to the Phit, overall?

I own a 2007 Yaris hatch, and a 2009 Honda Phit w/Nav.

superior in what catagory and what year for both, please define? Price, style, leg room, fuel econ. etc? I've read many articles over the past three years where the Yaris out performs in 0-60, fuel econ and so on.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
TOYOTA would need to add V.S.C. with traction control to the YARII to get a from CONSUMER REPORTS . I see where all 2010 COROLLAs and MATRIXes wil have V.S.C. with traction control as a standard feature . I'm sure the YARIS will follow suite . Silly that the YARIS is the only vehicle in the TOYOTA / SCION line up that V.S.C. is not standard or optional for $250 more .
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
We all acknowledge that the Yaris is the least costly car in the Toyota fleet.

Who cares what consumer reports said....... Why should the number one car company in the entire world be concerned about consumer reports?

I doubt anyone with any functional brain matter would worry about this.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
SailDesign

Drives: .
YOu might want to get CR to read this article
http://car-reviews.automobile.com/To...oad-test/1551/
from the Canadian press. Read it all the way through (4 pages) and pay particular attention to the "autocross track in the rain" part. Then compare to CR's "Tail-happy unsafe little sh!t" terminology. Who drove the car and who didn't?
There are more updates and such here:
http://car-reviews.automobile.com/To...s/reviews/241/
Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
yeah CR has hated the Yaris since the beginning for lack of safety, since then ABS and side airbags are standard but the hate remains

I don't think it's a matter of "hate" at all. They praise the Yaris for fuel economy, braking, (improved with ABS) turning circle, cabin storage, and reliabilty. They do not like the comfort of the seats (I agree...they are very unsupportive) but their major gripe is that at highway speeds the rear wheels can slide out rather easily, requiring quick correction, and reducing confidence during accident avoidance. They feel that ESC would be a major benefit to this car, and I feel that that is true.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
Thumbs up +1

Quote:
I don't think it's a matter of "hate" at all. They praise the Yaris for fuel economy, braking, (improved with ABS) turning circle, cabin storage, and reliabilty. They do not like the comfort of the seats (I agree...they are very unsupportive) but their major gripe is that at highway speeds the rear wheels can slide out rather easily, requiring quick correction, and reducing confidence during accident avoidance. They feel that ESC would be a major benefit to this car, and I feel that that is true.
if there was an '09 YARIS on a lot at this moment with V.S.C. we'd jump on it . Dumbies .
Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
We all acknowledge that the Yaris is the least costly car in the Toyota fleet.

Who cares what consumer reports said....... Why should the number one car company in the entire world be concerned about consumer reports?

I doubt anyone with any functional brain matter would worry about this.

Lots of people care and trust what CR says, even if you don't, Robert. I like the fact that they take no advertising dollars from any company. personally, I would be much more apt to buy a car which they recommend than one they don't. If you feel differently, that's your perogative. However, I'm very pro Consumer Reports.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I'm not concerned with what CR says. I've never had any issues with the ass-end coming around, and that includes autocrossing.

I love my Yaris, and that's all I care about.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Ugh, someone ALWAYS brings up what CR says.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Lots of people care and trust what CR says, even if you don't, Robert. I like the fact that they take no advertising dollars from any company. personally, I would be much more apt to buy a car which they recommend than one they don't. If you feel differently, that's your perogative. However, I'm very pro Consumer Reports.
Automobiles, appliances, and every other thing sold..... I have found there are more reliable sources and better ratings. The magazine buys and rates but often not with real "consumers" but their employees. I have always found the car ratings to be "off mark" due to the fact the historical facts are not qualified facts.

I trust my research over theirs 100:1. Advertising dollars do not buy better reviews and it was not too long ago where CU would not recommend any import car. I do recall CU recommending many domestic cars that fell apart within a year.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
It's probably not a good idea to trust most magazines when it comes to cars... check this out:

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...motive-history

Best thing imo is to do your own research, do test drives, find real owners online and irl and see what they have to say about the car.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
SonerSD

Drives: 2009 Honda Fit Sport
yes, i agree with Consumer Reports. I recently sold my 2008 yaris and bought a 2009 fit sport last week. The difference is huge. Fit is 10 years ahead of Yaris. The handling, suspension, steering is waay better than Yaris. And Fit looks much sharper with its edgy styling.
Fit is full of safety features that did not exist at my Yaris.
And I paid $2000 below MSRP for the Fit ($15,790) which made it great deal after selling my Yaris for $11,000.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Actually, CR doesn't seem to far off in the ratings of these cars. The Fit is a much nicer, more fully equiped car. The SX4 rates highest in it's class for crash test ratings. How the Versa finished ahead of the Yaris is the only puzzling part, probably due to huge interior room (compared to the rest) with not much worse fuel economy. And the Aveo finished last, right where it should be. Why are people surprised by this article?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #18
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Before I lowered my car, put wider tires and the antisway bar, it actually was a little scary going around corners at fast speeds. Now I drive a windy road around a lake every day at 60 even though the suggested speed is 35. I've never lost traction the car hugs corners like it was on rails.
Closed Thread