Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #73
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTAZ351 View Post
The early 80's diesel Bus was slow also, I followed one for about 10 miles several years ago, he pulled into a gas station..and the gear head part of me had to follow and ask...Was that factory? he showed the whole deal and yes it came that way, and I looked it up when I got home, I think it had something like 50HP! Not a popular option?
We had one of the first of the Mark II buses (1970-ish) with the 1200 engine. WooHoo! Drove that to Florida and back from RI one year, and then across to California the next. Sure got to admire the scenery in that thing.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #74
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick996 View Post
And speaking of slow, I once had a 62 VW bus.
Correction - I was making up a list of cars I owned and realized that it was a 1968 bus. Also had a 1978 bus.

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #75
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Back on topic

I wish CR would do base model cars and trucks only. They always test the fully loaded or fully equipped models. I think a better comparison would be with the base models, to show what is offered at that price and trim level.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:39 AM   #76
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Hello. Been lurking in this forum for over a month and have spent HOURS researching. Some great people here. First off let me start by saying I purchased a 3 dr LB w/ Power Package in Polar White a few weeks back. And of course it is a manual :)

Let me explain my purchase. I have wanted a Yaris for several yrs now, however, until recently you had to pay an arm and a 2 legs for the safety items I wanted, minus stability control. So I settled for the 1st generation 2008 Honda Fit Sport. The looks were not great but it was a good lil car. So then the 2nd generation Fit came out in 2009 and I purchased a top of the line model. Unfortunately I was also forced to purchase the $1,800 navi to get VSC :( The car was just under 20k loaded with every feature. I still wanted the Yaris but it did not have 6 air bags, VSC so I went with the Fit, aesthetics aside. I drove this Fit for 2 yrs w/ several minor probs all fixed under warranty. Probs included squeaky pedal(minor) to more major issues such as the drivers window CONSTANTLY, slowly edging down, requiring me to pull it up and dificulty (grinding actually) while putting it in 5th gear. I've driven a manual my entire life(since 14, and 35 now) so I know it wasn't me. The dealership was fantastic with the pedal squeak but could never fix the other 2 probs. I also forgot to mention the VERY inaccurate computer mpg guage!! I spoke to a 19 yr Honda mechanic and he also explained he was not AT ALL happy with the build quality of the 2nd generation Honda,especially for it's price and for being a Honda. SO, unhappy with the Fit I moved into a 2011 LOADED Honda Element. Problems from day two on the Element. Problems with difficulty starting(garaged all winter) to buttons on cruise control not working.

So I went to visit my sister near KC Missouri and stopped at Toyota dealer after reviewing their new inventory of Yaris's fitting my criteria. I was sooooooooo happy that Toyota finally added ABS,6 air bags, and VSC STANDARD!!! Traded in the Element, lost $2,500, or my ass, however you want to look at it. BUT I finally got what I wanted and to be honest their is NO comparison between a Honda and a Toyota in build. EVERYTHING on the Yaris is tighter and more solid than the 2nd generation Fit I had. The door shuts more soundly. The ONLY thing "better" on the Fit was the pretty dash and the cushier materials and the "magic seats." The ride of the Yaris is just as good, the seats feel great(I'm only 5'7" but I've traveled in them in 14 hr increments) and EVERYTHING feels more solid. Honda might have spent the extra money($4,700 more in my case) on a fancier interior but I would take the Yaris over the Fit anydamn day of the week. AND I'VE OWNED TWO!! I feel like a pig in shit and have a great Yaris that does everything I want it to. I considered waiting for the Scion IQ(Toyota IQ) coming late summer, but it is smaller and I don't need to pay 4k more like I did for the Fit for a fancier interior. So if any of you out there in this forum feel like you should have bought a new Fit, I'm here to tell you you made the right decision. I know I won't be stranded on the side of the road with the Yaris and I couldn't have made a better decision.

Consumer Reports is soooooooo wrong about this car-the Yaris.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #77
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Hello. Been lurking in this forum for over a month and have spent HOURS researching. Some great people here. First off let me start by saying I purchased a 3 dr LB w/ Power Package in Polar White a few weeks back. And of course it is a manual :)

Let me explain my purchase. I have wanted a Yaris for several yrs now, however, until recently you had to pay an arm and a 2 legs for the safety items I wanted, minus stability control. So I settled for the 1st generation 2008 Honda Fit Sport. The looks were not great but it was a good lil car. So then the 2nd generation Fit came out in 2009 and I purchased a top of the line model. Unfortunately I was also forced to purchase the $1,800 navi to get VSC :( The car was just under 20k loaded with every feature. I still wanted the Yaris but it did not have 6 air bags, VSC so I went with the Fit, aesthetics aside. I drove this Fit for 2 yrs w/ several minor probs all fixed under warranty. Probs included squeaky pedal(minor) to more major issues such as the drivers window CONSTANTLY, slowly edging down, requiring me to pull it up and dificulty (grinding actually) while putting it in 5th gear. I've driven a manual my entire life(since 14, and 35 now) so I know it wasn't me. The dealership was fantastic with the pedal squeak but could never fix the other 2 probs. I also forgot to mention the VERY inaccurate computer mpg guage!! I spoke to a 19 yr Honda mechanic and he also explained he was not AT ALL happy with the build quality of the 2nd generation Honda,especially for it's price and for being a Honda. SO, unhappy with the Fit I moved into a 2011 LOADED Honda Element. Problems from day two on the Element. Problems with difficulty starting(garaged all winter) to buttons on cruise control not working.

So I went to visit my sister near KC Missouri and stopped at Toyota dealer after reviewing their new inventory of Yaris's fitting my criteria. I was sooooooooo happy that Toyota finally added ABS,6 air bags, and VSC STANDARD!!! Traded in the Element, lost $2,500, or my ass, however you want to look at it. BUT I finally got what I wanted and to be honest their is NO comparison between a Honda and a Toyota in build. EVERYTHING on the Yaris is tighter and more solid than the 2nd generation Fit I had. The door shuts more soundly. The ONLY thing "better" on the Fit was the pretty dash and the cushier materials and the "magic seats." The ride of the Yaris is just as good, the seats feel great(I'm only 5'7" but I've traveled in them in 14 hr increments) and EVERYTHING feels more solid. Honda might have spent the extra money($4,700 more in my case) on a fancier interior but I would take the Yaris over the Fit anydamn day of the week. AND I'VE OWNED TWO!! I feel like a pig in shit and have a great Yaris that does everything I want it to. I considered waiting for the Scion IQ(Toyota IQ) coming late summer, but it is smaller and I don't need to pay 4k more like I did for the Fit for a fancier interior. So if any of you out there in this forum feel like you should have bought a new Fit, I'm here to tell you you made the right decision. I know I won't be stranded on the side of the road with the Yaris and I couldn't have made a better decision.

Consumer Reports is soooooooo wrong about this car-the Yaris.
Thanks for the write up and comparison.

Sorry you had to dump so much money switching 4 vehicles.

I can almost guarantee you that you'll have no problems for a long time with the Yaris. Mine hasn't been to the dealer for any issues yet with 105,000 miles. Another member here drove 425,000 miles as a courier with only one minor repair. Truly remarkable quality and reliability.

Enjoy!
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #78
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
CR gets paid off to say what they do. All that stability control junk adds weight, and no benefit for a car as light as the yaris.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #79
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Thanks for the write up and comparison.

Sorry you had to dump so much money switching 4 vehicles.

I can almost guarantee you that you'll have no problems for a long time with the Yaris. Mine hasn't been to the dealer for any issues yet with 105,000 miles. Another member here drove 425,000 miles as a courier with only one minor repair. Truly remarkable quality and reliability.

Enjoy!
THANKS Kal-EL. I guess sometimes you gotta go away(Toyota) to see how good you actually had it.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #80
Kal-El

Don't feel too bad guys, Forbes just included the Mercedes S-Class on the list of "worst cars on the road".

I'm not a big fan of the car (I'd buy the Lexus LS), but there's no denying the the S is one of the world's best cars.

Believe it of not, their reasoning is that the S-class is too costly to own and burns too much gas (too powerful). Perhaps Forbes forgot what a luxury car is supposed to be - about excess. It was designed to be powerful and expensive and got slammed for being so.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-wors...-20110418.html

So a magazine not loving the Yaris means nothing.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #81
Kal-El

I just flipped through this months Consumer Reports and was comparing reliability ratings.

The Yaris was the only model I could find which was described as having "outstanding reliability". No other Toyota was even described as such.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #82
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
I just flipped through this months Consumer Reports and was comparing reliability ratings.

The Yaris was the only model I could find which was described as having "outstanding reliability". No other Toyota was even described as such.

That is one of the biggest selling points for me. I wasn't looking for a smooth, quiet ride with lots of bells and whistles when I bought my Yaris. Fuel economy, reliability and ease of maintenance was what I wanted.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #83
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Don't feel too bad guys, Forbes just included the Mercedes S-Class on the list of "worst cars on the road".

I'm not a big fan of the car (I'd buy the Lexus LS), but there's no denying the the S is one of the world's best cars.

Believe it of not, their reasoning is that the S-class is too costly to own and burns too much gas (too powerful). Perhaps Forbes forgot what a luxury car is supposed to be - about excess. It was designed to be powerful and expensive and got slammed for being so.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-wors...-20110418.html

So a magazine not loving the Yaris means nothing.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Benz S class was one of the worst luxury cars on the road. They've gone way down hill, completely forgetting what they used to be in the 70's and early 80's and before. They finally started realizing this and are slowly rectifying the problem, but they've lost a ton of luster and will take a long time to recover that, if they ever do.