Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
mrrock

Drives: yaris 2dr hatch
How do you take off steering wheel

want to take off the steeing wheel to make custom wheel cover. I know the first thing is to disconnect the battery but I want to know what else I need to do
mrrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
I haven't done it on the Yaris, but it shouldn't be any different than the one on my Miata or 280Z. I assume you're installing an aftermarket steering wheel and hub. Here's my old run down on the Miata installation. It may differ slightly from the Yaris but should be relatively the same.

1. Disconnect battery (Duh)
2. Underneath the steering column plastic cover, there should be screws holding the bottom piece onto the top. Unscrew them, and the top and bottom portions should pop off. (May or may not need this step. Depends on what sensors are there and what-not)
3.. On the bottom of the steering wheel, should be a screw on each side. A phillips head screwdriver should get them out. Once these are removed, the center airbag portion should pop out.
4. Disconnect the airbag sensor and horn.
5. In the center of the steering wheel should be a big bolt, (17mm I think?). It's on there tight so be careful when breaking it loose. KEEP THIS BOLT! Once it's off, you're steering wheel should come up with some forceful tugging and WD-40. There is actually a tool you can buy to pull the steering wheel off, but I've never needed it.
6. The new steering wheel should have an airbag dummy plug. Connect this to the stock airbag sensor on the steering column and tuck it away. I hide mine in the steering column plastic cover. Just make sure it doesn't rub when you turn the wheel full cycle both ways.
7. If you have a horn, connect the wires now.
8. Slide you aftermarket hub onto the steering column, making sure that it is mounted right side up. There should be an arrow to let you know know.
9. Slide the horn wire thru the hole in the hub so that you can connect it to your steering wheel horn in a minunte.
10. Attach the center bolt back onto the steering hub and snug it down. Don't fully tighten it yet. You may need to adjust the wheel later.
11. Put you steering wheel on the hub and snug the wheel down.
12. Try turning the wheel full cycles both way and make sure that you get good response. I recommend a small test drive in a parking lot to make sure the steering wheel is aligned correctly.
13. Make adjustments if necessary. Then tighten all the bolts down.
14. Attach and connect the horn button.
15. Replace the plastic steering column cover.
16. Enjoy.

Like I said, this is from my old Miata post so it may differ slightly. However, having done this on 240X's, Z's, and Miata's, they've all been relatively the same. I hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
mrrock

Drives: yaris 2dr hatch
thanks for the input. no I'm not putting on a different wheel and hub but just sewing on a leather cover of my own design and its a lot easier to do it out of the car rather than in
mrrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Ah, well then just skip the steps for the dummy plug and aftermarket wheel. (^_^)