Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
Questions?

I admit before hand that this has pretty much been addressed many times over, but for one last time...

I am thinking about the Tanabe Medallion Touring, AEM CAI, and the Megan Header. My question is will this set off the check engine light? Would I need one of those CEL Fix thingies? Is this a bad idea? I am afraid of effing up the O2 sensor or something. Has anyone done this specific setup? If you have read my posts my ideas change by the hour, but I am starting to think this might be worth dusting off the credit card for...Advice one way or the other? Another setup, something altogether different? I am not going to lower the beast, I will say that up front...Thanks, and I know most of this has been addressed before, but you all seem to have good insights, and one more go can't hurt. Should I just give up on performance mod dreams and just enjoy the Yaris as is? Thanks again.
umm_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
Installed properly they shouldnt set off any codes, I doubt you'll get much from the megan header, I am still waiting to hear more about the DC sports header which seems to be the better buy as far as performance goes....I'd hold off if i were you on the header until more options are available or some more user reviews come about...

With that being said however - My .02 cents - if your not lowering it, let the dust build up on that credit card - nothing looks more ridiculous than a car with performance parts zipping around at the height of a factory yaris....But thats just my opinion...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

So those additions would provide only negligible results?

I could care less about looks. I want to make the Yaris as fun to drive as possible.

I am driving a Yaris for Christ's sake. It is going to look funny no matter what.
umm_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Welcome to the world of 4 hp for a grand...
Old 09-15-2007, 03:52 AM   #5
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

That bad huh? I was thinking maybe 15, 20 if I was lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe keeney View Post
Buy a new TV or something. Yaris is great stock.
Maybe that is the best way to go? Son of a...
Old 09-15-2007, 03:55 AM   #6
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
You can get a quicker drive...um what's the word...drive pull? by installing ligher crank pulley and stuff for a couple hundreds. They probably won't give more hp but will make the engine feel peppier/quicker to get to point A to point B in the engine's... um drivetrain?

I'm sorry if this makes little sense...it's time for my bedtime.
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
NST crank pully made the most noticalbe difference out of intake, muffler and that. the full pully kit is coming out soon, it should help even more!
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

So saving money and waiting for more stuff to come out/stock parts to wear out would be the best bet?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
jdium
Mr Attitude

The best bet is what you want. You can spend money on exhaust/intake and gain a little power and noise, you can do suspension work where the mods are felt no matter where you are in the revs, or just invest your money for later or a car that responds/deserves more power...

Me personally, I have a 91 5.0 vert to have fun with, so no money is wasted on yaris speed parts...
Old 09-15-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

I think that I get it. The idea of power mods to a Yaris is basically foolish, suspension might be worth the money, but if I am dead set on spending more than my monthly car payment, aesthetic or entertainment additions might provide me with the most return satisfaction wise? It seems that most people that are much more car savvy upgrade for more the desire to upgrade (uniqueness) as apposed to the end results and that the notion Forza-esque video game upgrading is not at all realistic unless you are willing to drop a ridiculous amount into an economy car? If I wanted to make the Yaris a performance machine I should get a sports car and put the Yaris emblem on the back? Appreciate it for what it is, and customize to my liking, but do so understanding that it will still just be a Yaris; all be it cooler looking. I am sorry for thinking out loud here, but when I first stumbled across the forum I seemed to get caught up into the notion that be adding "Parts X, Y and Z" that (video game reference again) I am going to bump the Yaris into another class, D to C. That about right?
Old 09-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
jdium
Mr Attitude

Handling mods can make the car world class on a tight track, other than that, you got it right. My opinion at least...
Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Thanks Jdium and all others that have offered advice in my different threads. I guess that I am back to where I started, despite the fact that goes against what I have been thinking lately. NF210 springs and TRD shocks.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
jdium
Mr Attitude

Add light wheels and sticky tires then try an autocross event, enjoy watching the "fast" cars wonder what's up...