Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Weird interior leak spot after heavy rain

Has anyone had leaks right above where the a-pillar interior panel meets the headliner?
I didn't have time to investigate it but it was dripping from that spot.
Judging from the vicinity, I suspect it must be the seal that joins the windshield to roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak.jpg (76.3 KB, 571 views)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Someone more knowledgeable will have to chime in but in my wife's eclipse the drainage from around her sunroof was clogged and it leaked in a similar area. The area around the sunroof drained through the pillars to the left and right of the windshield. Not sure if the yaris would have similar drainage. To fix it we blasted it out with an air compressor.

But this was a totally different car but the leak was a similar area. hopefully someone else comments to help you
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
tomgibson59

Drives: Yaris TSport
The sunroof drains are connected to a small diameter plastic tubing which runs down inside the A pillar and drains to the wheel well. Over time the plastic tubing hardens causing it to not seal properly. I had this problem on both sides of the car where the plastic trim would be full of water. The best way to solve this is to use silicone sealant around the join between the plastic drain and the plastic tube. The easiest way to access this is to remove the sun visors, the plastic A pillar trim, and the handle by the passengers head; this should allow you to bend the head liner down enough to put the sealant around the join between the two. Hope this helps
tomgibson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
OP does not have a sunroof. He most likely does have an issue with the windshield sealant.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
OP does not have a sunroof. He most likely does have an issue with the windshield sealant.
how doe you know OP doesn't have a sunroof ?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
how doe you know OP doesn't have a sunroof ?
I'm just that good
Old 12-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
honestabe
The Battery Guru

Drives: 08 2-door hatchback 5-speed
I'm having the same issue with my 08 2-door HB base model. I don't have a sunroof. My windshield is brand new and I had the glass company do a good leak test and they couldn't find anything (we doused my windshield all around full blast with my hose). My Yaris does have rear end damage and I have noticed a small puddle of water on the left rear interior trim piece next to the hatch area carpet on the plastic trim. Suggestions where to look without me resorting to pulling my whole interior?
honestabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
I'm having the same issue with my 08 2-door HB base model. I don't have a sunroof. My windshield is brand new and I had the glass company do a good leak test and they couldn't find anything (we doused my windshield all around full blast with my hose). My Yaris does have rear end damage and I have noticed a small puddle of water on the left rear interior trim piece next to the hatch area carpet on the plastic trim. Suggestions where to look without me resorting to pulling my whole interior?
1) It is possible that the leak from the windshield rubber is ON THE SIDES, thus after a bit of water gets stuck there (or when its continuously raining) and you use your car, capillary action gets it to crawl up and show up on those corners of the headliner.

Just a thought, as my previous car also had the same problems when it rains or after a carwash, and even after several leak tests the problem doesnt show up. Only to figure out it leaked on the sides of the windshield rubber.

Additional ideas:
2) The weatherstrip on the frame where the door meets the frame (that goes from the B-pillar floor up that pillar and continues to the A-Pillar and back down to the kick panel) is not as flexible and firm anymore, thus water is able to seep through. --> this seems to be the more likely culprit for yarisugi, as can be deduced from his picture.

3) The welded area on the roof rubberstrip is rusted, causing water to enter the ceiling from there.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
Good points on the windshield leak above ^.

For the rear leak check the hatch weatherstripping for tears or small holes. Also, check the taillight on that side to make sure that the foam gasket behind it is fully sealing to the body.

For both you an the O.P. the front leak could also be caused by a failure of the roof seam. The center stretch of the roof is tack welded and then seam sealed into place. If there is a void in the seam seal, water could leak through that and onto the top of the headliner. To check that seam you would gently pop off the rubber trim strip that covers the roof seam.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I'm just that good
LOL. ()
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
honestabe
The Battery Guru

Drives: 08 2-door hatchback 5-speed
Oh joy, looks like I'll be pulling my roof panel now. While under the rear working on my muffler a little bit ago I noticed just how bad the damage is to my Yaris. Looks like I'll be breaking out more silicone sealant to seal up more things. My passenger side tail light isn't sealed, it sticks out a little due to the damage. 3 out of my 4 wheel wells are crumpled a bit, especially the passenger rear 1/4 panel.
honestabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
MJZ

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3 Door Manual
Hate to resurrect this, but what ended up happening / being the cause. When I brought my Yaris to the bodyshop yesterday I noticed leaking in this exact same spot as the OP. Curious what the fix ended up being so I can be prepared. I did let the shop know and asked them to take a look, but I figured I'd do some research just in case they either A) can't figure it out or B) want an absurd amount to fix it.

Thanks
Z
MJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #13
WeeYari

Hmmm, totally out of character for yarisugi not to follow up on his posts.

Come ugi, you know we all hate when this happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Completely forgot about this.
Well, I ended up lifting the black channel strip and noticed a small gap where the
window seal meets the roof line. I stuffed some window weld (forgot the name),
a black, sticky substance to fill the gap and put back the channel strip.
I suspect the factory window sealant may have shrunk or perhaps there wasn't
enough of it to provide a good seal from the start.
Definitely check the seal where the roof meets your windshield.

Did it work?
I have no idea because I haven't experienced any massive downpours since then.
So far, I haven't leaks in that area under "normal" rainfall.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #15
MJZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Well, I ended up lifting the black channel strip and noticed a small gap where the

Did it work?
Thanks for the follow up. Once I get car back from the shop I'll have to take a look at the roof channels.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #16
MJZ

Looks like the black strips have shrunken up a bit, they are very loose in the channels. Also seems the rear clip on the driver side is broken. Looks like I'm going to have to either A) buy new seals or B) get some "black window gunk" and wedge it all back into place.

Now to find out how much Toyota is going to charge for those pieces... I'd wager north of $50...
Old 01-22-2023, 01:57 PM   #17
IronYaris

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post

Did it work?
Just started getting his problem. Have you fixed your leaks?
IronYaris is offline   Reply With Quote