Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
skeck
keckbot

Drives: 2007 Blazin' Blue Liftback
Do I Need to Replace Water Pump?

Been having some pink crusty crud showing up on the underside of the passenger side hood and it is coming from the hose connection circled in the second photo. I found some similar posts on here stating that this means I should replace the water pump. I bought a new one and just want to verify that this is what i need to do. I have 80,000 miles on my car and this is the original pump. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pink crud on hood.jpg (97.9 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg pink crud leak.jpg (86.7 KB, 291 views)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
That appears to be an AC hose.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
That's the tell-tale sign that your pump is on its way out.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
skeck
keckbot

Sign

Good to know I didn't waste my money buying a new one...thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
yep yep.. water pump leaking. Good DIY somewhere here also.. good luck and get an aftermarket one.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Starting to fail.
Mine had the same pink spray from the front to back on the inside of the hood.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
I was just wondering since im a newbie, what happens if one doesnt know it and the water pump fails? Will the engine stall?
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone_yaris View Post
I was just wondering since im a newbie, what happens if one doesnt know it and the water pump fails? Will the engine stall?
Eventually, if signs are ignored.

If you fail to notice the pink stuff under the hood (could be the green colour if coolant was changed). results gradual loss of coolant.

If the loss of coolant reaches the low level where it can no longer circulate and cool engine the engine temperature will rise and turn on the engine hot indicator light on the instrument cluster.

If time when engine light indicator is on and immediate action is not taken, (like pulling over and shutting down the engine) usually two to five minutes (rough idea) and that depends on the load of the engine which at this point is overheating. If ignored a possible warpage to cylinder head and damage to head gasket may occur.

If ignored further the remains of the engine coolant will reach boiling point and one will see the steam rising from under the hood. This is the last chance.

If ignored the oil will be diluted by heating to the point of loosing lubrication and pistons will seize in the cylinders and bearing will melt to each other and engine will stall, stop or seizes to function.

End of sequence. (New engine required).
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
skeck
keckbot

Got it replaced yesterday...took me a good 6 hours due to my extra cautious approach, but it was a success. Not a fun DIY job, but well worth the money saved.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Congratulations! Does not sound like DIY for on the side of the road job.
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Hmmm my case is differnt... I had very mild pink spray on my hood. I noticed a very loud rattle at idle around 90k. Had it checked out by toyota after it got worse coming back from a 8 hour road trip... they said the bearings in my water pump where shot and it was only a matter of time before it failed... luckily I filled it up with coolant before my trip... by the time I got back I think it saved my poor yaris.

800ish$ to repair :(

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
still cant figure out how toyota manage to disable my a/c system after they replaced the water pump.. a/c not turning on , fuse is ok but seems like im not getting power to the a/c compressor..go figure..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
still cant figure out how toyota manage to disable my a/c system after they replaced the water pump.. a/c not turning on , fuse is ok but seems like im not getting power to the a/c compressor..go figure..
Check to see if they plugged the connector back into the compressor.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Check to see if they plugged the connector back into the compressor.
yes they did..already rechecked it also checked fuse which was good still got light on the ac button..compressor click if i ran power directly from the battery so im at lost on what i am missing..too cold to fix right now waiting for a warmer weather..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
yes they did..already rechecked it also checked fuse which was good still got light on the ac button..compressor click if i ran power directly from the battery so im at lost on what i am missing..too cold to fix right now waiting for a warmer weather..
The AC ECU won't activate the solenoid for the compressor if there is an issue with the pressure (too high or too low), so there is probably a good chance that they nicked or flexed one of the aluminum tubes enough to cause the system to vent.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #16
marcus
toyota

Quote:
The AC ECU won't activate the solenoid for the compressor if there is an issue with the pressure (too high or too low), so there is probably a good chance that they nicked or flexed one of the aluminum tubes enough to cause the system to vent.
oh yeah i also check that as well toyota said its full but cant get pressure since i cant get the compressor to work..

Old 02-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
oh yeah i also check that as well toyota said its full but cant get pressure since i cant get the compressor to work..
If they plug the TechStream tool into the car, the AC ECU will tell them why it isn't happy.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
marcus
toyota

Quote:
If they plug the TechStream tool into the car, the AC ECU will tell them why it isn't happy.
thats what needs to be done but they gonna charge me just for them to do that although i have a friend that works there i just have to have him take my car for a day.. thanks scott.