Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
amtoro

Drives: 2009 3LB Metheorite
Question Coil springs "brackets" anyone?

I have been trying to come up with an inexpensive way to modify the suspension on my LB and saw these brackets at the parts store. It says you can use them to raise or lower the vehicle and I wonder if besides the plus of lowering the center of gravity it would stiffen the springs a bit as it virtually removes one turn off the springs.

Could I do this and install an anti-sway bar and get good results? or should I definitely buy performance springs if I want to notice any difference?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg I_877218_CL_1.jpg.jpeg (37.4 KB, 72 views)
amtoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
LOL.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the old rule of thumb you get what you pay for applies heavily to this thread.

save up, buy the right stuff, and drive in confidence, knowing that one of those brackets isn't gonna break on you and destroy something driveline related.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
amtoro

Drives: 2009 3LB Metheorite
Thank you, I was just curious about those things. I'll start with the 23mm sway bar and see what else from there.
amtoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Ahem...

Just because it doesn't cost a ton of money doesn't mean it won't be effective.

I've never used those, but I HAVE used the rubber donut spacers that effectively do the same thing. YES, if you remove a coil from the equation (by physically cutting a coil from the end of the spring, or by immobilizing any coil in the spring) the spring rate DOES increase. If you have all the dimensions of the spring (wire diameter, diameter of coils and number of coils), you can even calculate how much the rate increases.

Don't be snobs, guys. A set of these on the rear springs with a rear swaybar could do wonders for the handling of an otherwise stock Yaris.

That said... I'd probably opt for the donut spacers. They're less likely to fall out, and they're not going to bend or break.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote