Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Items for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
GreenSpeed

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Depot Projectors....make an offer

These have a story behind them.

When I purchased this set off eBay for $228, one of the lights came with a broken plastic tab/fastener (the upper one that screws in near the strut). I tried some creative ways to fabricate some metal to bridge the gap and when I was installing the lights, it was about 15 degrees out and the broke another tab due to the rigidity of the plastic.

So, on to more mistakes....

I decide to test out the LED's before I install them on the car. Being that I'm a complete moron when it comes to electrical measurements, I decide to hook up a 9 volt battery to the LED's to see what they look like. Flicker, flicker, then they die. I didn't get a clue the first time, so I killed the LED's in both lights due to a 9 volt current on a 3 volt light.

We're not done yet. I pick up some new LED's at radio shack for the Halo's which I was successful in soldering in place of the burnt out ones. It just so happened that the smallest white ones Radioshack sells are too large for the little slots where the halo LED's go. Out comes the dremel and I proceed to make the hole slightly larger. Little did I realize that it would send a cloud of plastic particles into the sealed headlight housing!!!

My kids learned a few new words from me that day, I'm ashamed to say.

I then proceed to bake the lights so I can get the housing apart to clean the inside out. That went pretty painlessly. That is, until I was putting new silicone sealant around the lights and got some on the inside of the housing. I made the mistake of using Goof Off on the inside of the clear light shroud and it had a chemical reaction with the plastic causing it to immediately blur. I at least had the smarts to stop immediately, but I now had a 3-4 inch blur spot on one of the lights.

I go to Autozone and pick up a plastic polishing kit and even wet-sanded the area with 2000 grit, which got rid of the blur, but did not remove all of the ultra-fine scratches.

I put a couple of coats of tint on the exterior of the lights to help mask the imperfections, which can easily be removed with pain stripper (I already used that once without any problems since my first tint job was way too dark, so it can be easily removed without damaging the outside again.

In all, this was one of the worst car mod disasters I've had, other than a custom front mount intercooler for my old STi. I hate the projects that only get worse with every new fix it idea.

So, now that I have unfolded my nightmare, these are still good looking lights that can be fixed with some TLC and some more plastic polishing. I'm offering these lights to the highest offer. Shipping is set at $40 anywhere in the lower 48.

The replacement halo LED's should work fine, but the upper 3 LED's on each side are toast, so you will need to pick up new ones from autolumination.com or somewhere else.

I purchased a brand new set of the same projectors and thankfully didn't make the same mistakes again.

Best offer takes 'em. Oh, and the eyelids are NOT included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0167.jpg (117.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0173.jpg (105.3 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0181.jpg (108.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0182.jpg (102.7 KB, 282 views)
Old 04-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Wow! I really like how the eyelids look on the depo headlamps...
Good luck with the sale.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I already have a set, but damn, you've given me ideas

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
been really really craving for a chance to get a pair of these, but don't think I am mechanically inclined to fix them...
Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
GreenSpeed

Glad I could you inspire you Thomas...at least with my lack of common sense. LOL
Old 04-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Good story, sorry for your pain...

Quote:
I hate the projects that only get worse with every new fix it idea.
Sounds like you're describing all of my projects.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
GreenSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Good story, sorry for your pain...

Sounds like you're describing all of my projects.

True that Garm...LOL

BTW...Those are your eyelids with my shoitty paint job.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
wow, that's a hefty project. you have a PM
Old 04-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
GreenSpeed

1st offer is in....I'll give it a day or so before I take the highest offer. For those of you who are wondering, the original headlight bulbs will ship with the lights. Also, the upper LED's are the wedge type that simply plug in, so if you can find some, they plug in without taking the lights apart. The lower white LED's I upgraded to are brighter than the stock ones and look great (I'm actually going to upgrade my current dim ones). The lights come with the original wiring, ect.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
$100 + shipping
Old 04-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Wisher23

Drives: LB
could you point out the broken tabs in the pictures?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
GreenSpeed

broken tabs are at the top of the third picture and at the bottom of the 4th picture.

Ztrack...you are just ahead of the last highest offer. I'll go with the highest offer by noon MST today.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
GreenSpeed

Sold to KCALB SIRAY!
Closed Thread