Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Items for Sale by private party
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
GreenSpeed

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Depot Projectors....make an offer

These have a story behind them.

When I purchased this set off eBay for $228, one of the lights came with a broken plastic tab/fastener (the upper one that screws in near the strut). I tried some creative ways to fabricate some metal to bridge the gap and when I was installing the lights, it was about 15 degrees out and the broke another tab due to the rigidity of the plastic.

So, on to more mistakes....

I decide to test out the LED's before I install them on the car. Being that I'm a complete moron when it comes to electrical measurements, I decide to hook up a 9 volt battery to the LED's to see what they look like. Flicker, flicker, then they die. I didn't get a clue the first time, so I killed the LED's in both lights due to a 9 volt current on a 3 volt light.

We're not done yet. I pick up some new LED's at radio shack for the Halo's which I was successful in soldering in place of the burnt out ones. It just so happened that the smallest white ones Radioshack sells are too large for the little slots where the halo LED's go. Out comes the dremel and I proceed to make the hole slightly larger. Little did I realize that it would send a cloud of plastic particles into the sealed headlight housing!!!

My kids learned a few new words from me that day, I'm ashamed to say.

I then proceed to bake the lights so I can get the housing apart to clean the inside out. That went pretty painlessly. That is, until I was putting new silicone sealant around the lights and got some on the inside of the housing. I made the mistake of using Goof Off on the inside of the clear light shroud and it had a chemical reaction with the plastic causing it to immediately blur. I at least had the smarts to stop immediately, but I now had a 3-4 inch blur spot on one of the lights.

I go to Autozone and pick up a plastic polishing kit and even wet-sanded the area with 2000 grit, which got rid of the blur, but did not remove all of the ultra-fine scratches.

I put a couple of coats of tint on the exterior of the lights to help mask the imperfections, which can easily be removed with pain stripper (I already used that once without any problems since my first tint job was way too dark, so it can be easily removed without damaging the outside again.

In all, this was one of the worst car mod disasters I've had, other than a custom front mount intercooler for my old STi. I hate the projects that only get worse with every new fix it idea.

So, now that I have unfolded my nightmare, these are still good looking lights that can be fixed with some TLC and some more plastic polishing. I'm offering these lights to the highest offer. Shipping is set at $40 anywhere in the lower 48.

The replacement halo LED's should work fine, but the upper 3 LED's on each side are toast, so you will need to pick up new ones from autolumination.com or somewhere else.

I purchased a brand new set of the same projectors and thankfully didn't make the same mistakes again.

Best offer takes 'em. Oh, and the eyelids are NOT included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0167.jpg (117.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0173.jpg (105.3 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0181.jpg (108.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0182.jpg (102.7 KB, 282 views)