Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Also, why replace them after 100k mles? Is that some sort of magical number that sudenly makes a plug go bad or, do they deteriorate gradually over their life ?
So what you're saying is the smart people with tons of money who work at these companies are just saying 100k miles cause they decided to pull that one out of the air?

Quote:
I challange anyone to show me a dyno report that shows that performance is exactly the same with new plugs and with plugs with over about 75k miles on them.
I challenge you to show me a Yaris dyno report that shows SIGNIFICANT power loss due to older plugs.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #20
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
So what you're saying is the smart people with tons of money who work at these companies are just saying 100k miles cause they decided to pull that one out of the air?
No, you are the one saying that they just pulled a nmber out of thin air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I challenge you to show me a Yaris dyno report that shows SIGNIFICANT power loss due to older plugs.
You first have to define "SIGNIFICANT".
Now, you seem to be basically argeeing with me but, just discussing definitions.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #21
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
you never answered my "spark quality" question, redride.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #22
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
you never answered my "spark quality" question, redride.
Is your poosition that a spark plug never deteriorates with use and therfore, the "quality" of the spark never deteriorates?
If so, what is the purpose of ever changing changing them?
You seem yo be taking an ureasonable position in an effort to disagree with me.

Fact: A spark plugs spark intensity (quality) diminishes over the the life of a plug. This is well documented.
The only thing that can be argued is how much it deteriorates at any given point and at what point an individual chooses to change the plug.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #23
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Is your poosition that a spark plug never deteriorates with use and therfore, the "quality" of the spark never deteriorates?
If so, what is the purpose of ever changing changing them?
You seem yo be taking an ureasonable position in an effort to disagree with me.

Fact: A spark plugs spark intensity (quality) diminishes over the the life of a plug. This is well documented.
The only thing that can be argued is how much it deteriorates at any given point and at what point an individual chooses to change the plug.
all this poor grammar and you still haven't explained how a spark can deteriorate. a spark is a freakin spark. either it's there, or it's not. how can the "quality" or your new word "intensity" change for an airborne electricity transfer? does the coil somehow send "less" voltage?

you just need to pick a different word. i know you're trying to win this battle by insinuating that i think that spark plugs never "go bad" but you're avoiding my original comment about "deterioration of spark". either there's a spark, or there's not a spark. an overgapped (worn out) spark plug is going to either throw a larger spark (further distance for the electricity to jump = bigger spark) or it's not going to spark at all, because the coil cannot produce enough voltage to bridge the gap from the electrode to the ground. in this case there is NO spark. so, either there's a spark or there's no spark. explain your new term "intensity" please. you seem to assume that the spark plug itself somehow creates voltage or something, and the older it gets, the "less" intensity it fires at.

8th grade physics provided this explanation for you by the way.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #24
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
........all this poor grammar and you still haven't explained how a spark can deteriorate. a spark is a freakin spark. either it's there, or it's not...........
Not where a spark plug is concerned.
One of the benefits of an iridium plug is the thin center electrode that enables the spark to be intensified (or focused if you will) and this has shown to give a bit better performance.
Also the thinner electrode has shown to require a lower voltage to prduce a hotter spark. Yes spark temps can vary.
Votltages are not always rock stable at a plug
Also, there is more resistance for electrons to jump a gap when under compression.

So yes, it's a proven fact that spark quality can vary and it can effect performace. To what degree is the only thing that is open to discussion.

This horse is dead, Why do you continue to beat it?:
You have now have resorted to complain about my "grammer" and putting words in my mouth.

Last edited by RedRide; 08-15-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'm running the Bosch Platinum Plus 4 plugs. I don't think for the money I'd buy them again. I'll be going back to Denso plug.

It's pretty neat though that there's a clean streak where each spark jump across to the ground. I've had them in for about 30k km.

Oh and for the record, a spark jumps better from a sharp edge. That's why plugs tend to missfire the older they get and the more eroded the electrode becomes.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #26
hester pretorius
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris T1, 2006
The coil is net getting spark on my yaris
hester pretorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:26 PM   #27
primelegend12

Drives: 2010 Yaris 2D Hatchback
Hi, has anyone used 'Double Iridium Spark Plugs'? (Made by Bosch)
Any suggestions/recommendations whether these would be better than OEM?
Thank you.
primelegend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 05:51 AM   #28
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have been doing tune ups for years for other people. Like since 1970. Sometimes we would go to the store to buy parts and they wouldn’t have like Bosch plugs for German cars or Denso plugs for Japanese cars. So we would put like AC Delco plugs in say an Audi 100. Or a champion plugs in a Datsun 240Z.

No one ever got back to me and said “this car runs lousy with those plugs! Please change them to what should be in there!“

The idea that Japanese cars should have Japanese plugs and German cars should have German plugs is all in the mind.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:01 AM   #29
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In the 70s when I was in college, and nobody had any money, I would replace deteriorated, spark, plug wires with bell wire. For those who don’t know, bell wire is solid copper wire, about one or 2 mm in diameter with insulation maybe half a millimeter thick. I did that on a 66 Renault in the fall of 73. And I told the guy “William when you get home for Christmas get $18 from your dad and put proper ignition wires in there!“ In the spring of 77 when we graduated, William came to me and said “Paul, will you help me change my oil?“ And I said sure thing. When we got to the car and open the hood, there was the bell wire! when we installed the bell wire, in 73, I thought it would disappear in a puff of smoke! But it lasted four years!

Of course you young pups don’t even know what spark plug wires are!
Old 03-05-2023, 09:06 PM   #30
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
my first car was 98 dodge neon, i know what spark plug wires are, because i had to change them on the side of the road in a rain storm, man good times...
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote