Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Justnobody

Drives: 95 Talon Tsi Awd
Thinking about buying 5dr Yaris, just have some questions.

Hey, hows everyone doing? Anyhow, I really like the 5 door yaris, tho I went to acouple Toyota dealers and couldnt find any. I was just wondering, how comfortable is this car, is it possible to sleep in? Like is it enough room with the back seats folded flat or do the front seats recline almost flat?(Im 5'9) I say that because I work 12-16hr shifts and the commute home is another hour away and sometimes Im too tired to drive home. Also whats the real world gas mileage on these cars? I saw a video off youtube and the guy was saying he gets 38city 42highway. Thanks alot for your time.
Justnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justnobody View Post
Hey, hows everyone doing? Anyhow, I really like the 5 door yaris, tho I went to acouple Toyota dealers and couldnt find any. I was just wondering, how comfortable is this car, is it possible to sleep in? Like is it enough room with the back seats folded flat or do the front seats recline almost flat?(Im 5'9) I say that because I work 12-16hr shifts and the commute home is another hour away and sometimes Im too tired to drive home. Also whats the real world gas mileage on these cars? I saw a video off youtube and the guy was saying he gets 38city 42highway. Thanks alot for your time.

-i never found the seating very comfortable (especially the dynamics of the driving position). seats are too firm w/ poor thigh and side support, imo. i suppose the comfort is ok considering the cost of the yaris.

-at just over 6', i never found any configuration where sleeping in the car would be remotely comfortable. i think the best scenario would be with the back seats flat (assuming the fold flat seats that come w/ the power package) and trying to lay down diagonally.

-40+mpg is very realistic (with little effort, imo) when drivin suburban/highway type driving. i think 38 mpg city is overly optimistic for true stop and go city driving.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I'm pretty close to your height and I find the seats quite comfortable for driving. I would not recommend the Yaris for sleeping; the front seats won't fold flat and there's not enough space in the back. ~40 MPG highway is possible depending on how you drive.

Although it's sacrilege to suggest, if sleeping is a high priority, I'd take a blanket over to your local Honda dealer and try a Fit's "magic seats".

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Justnobody

Drives: 95 Talon Tsi Awd
Thanks for the replies, yea I considered the fit, but in the end, their pretty ugly, plus used ones are selling for as much if not more than the new versions, and not to mention wheels always getting stolen, yaris looks much better, cheaper, better gas mileage, and dont have to worry bout those honda scumbags trying to take things from me. Looked at the 1gen Scion xB, windshield problems scared me away from that, probably going to end up getting a 5 door yaris before winter. Thanks again.
Justnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
You'll like the Yaris. It is comfortable and has great gas mileage. On road trips, I've slept with the seat back down for two or three hour stretches and found it OK. I don't think any of the small cars will offer overnight comfort for sleeping.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote