Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
REV 2 11

Drives: '01 MR2 Spyder, '09 Yaris TS
HELP: Swings but does not start after fuel filter replaced

Hi guys,

need some assistance please...

I replaced the fuel filter and o-ring on a T3 hatch. The car was "shuddering" and struggling to move at times when driving, particularly noticeable when the a/c was on. After replacing the filter and o-ring though, the car swings, but does not start.

I removed the filter again, and rechecked that everything was put back correctly...which it was. Put everything back again, and still, it does the same thing. I'm out of ideas now, except that maybe i've flooded it by trying to start it for so long.

The pump runs, and fuel is clearly being pulled through the outlet pipe on the filter housing. Checked the fuses in the engine bay also, but no issues there as well.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point...been trying to get it started the entire day!

The "strainer" bit attached to the fuel pump is quite dirty and pretty full, but the car started and drove with it like that before I replaced the filter and o-ring, so I cant see that being an issue?

Please help!

www.twincamclub.co.za
REV 2 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
"except that maybe i've flooded it by trying to start it for so long"
What do you mean by this?
The cylinders?
Take out the spark plugs, wait some time (depending on the environment temperature, maybe about 1...2hrs) and then put them back and try to start it again.
You don't have any diagnostics stuff, do you?
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
REV 2 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
"except that maybe i've flooded it by trying to start it for so long"
What do you mean by this?
The cylinders?
Take out the spark plugs, wait some time (depending on the environment temperature, maybe about 1...2hrs) and then put them back and try to start it again.
You don't have any diagnostics stuff, do you?

thanks for the reply.

Yes, as in by swinging it for so long, I've possibly injected too much fuel into the cylinders. Will remove the plugs now.

I have a vci cable for diagnostics...but it doesn't seem to be picking up any errors...

www.twincamclub.co.za
Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
REV 2 11

Ok, so I checked the repair manual again.
It said that if you remove the fuel suction filter (mesh strainer) from the fuel pump, then you must not re-use the fuel pump and fuel suction filter.
And yes, I did separate the suction filter from the fuel pump.

Can someone maybe enlighten me as to WHY you cannot reuse the fuel pump once the suction filter is removed off the fuel pump? It just does not make sense to me.

You can clearly hear the pump running, and I have confirmed more than 3 times that fuel is being pulled through the outlet pipe on the filter housing...in which case there can't be a major blockage, so why does it only swing and not start?
If it is the suction filter (it is quite dirty, but the car was driving ok with it like that before the fuel filter replacement), then why is petrol exiting the tank...surely this indicates that the even if the suction filter is dirty, it is still pulling fuel through. This would also eliminate the pump as a problem.

The fuel suction filter is not orderable by itself here in South Africa...and the only way I can obtain the suction filter is if I order the fuel pump. The pump costs around ZAR3500 / US$350 from Toyota. Thankfully, there is a Bosch replacement pump and strainer for ZAR500 / US$50. I am going to put this on today, and pray that the car starts.

Incidentally, the car 240 000 kms on it. The fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel suction filter have never been replaced. So maybe it does need a new pump and suction filter.

But I still can't understand why it started and drove fine (except for the intermittent shuddering / struggle to accelerate) before replacing the fuel filter.

www.twincamclub.co.za
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
In the repair manual there are reusable and non-reusable parts. The strainer is considered a non-reusable one, just because Toyota does not consider it to be cleanable, so if a tech takes it off he/she should replace it rather than putting it back on.

When you replaced the fuel filter and o-ring, which o-ring did you replace (the large one for the top of the tank?)

Also, when you had the pump out of the filter did you run into and put back on the small plastic sleeve that goes on the output of the fuel pump and slides into a recess in the filter?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
REV 2 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
In the repair manual there are reusable and non-reusable parts. The strainer is considered a non-reusable one, just because Toyota does not consider it to be cleanable, so if a tech takes it off he/she should replace it rather than putting it back on.

When you replaced the fuel filter and o-ring, which o-ring did you replace (the large one for the top of the tank?)

Also, when you had the pump out of the filter did you run into and put back on the small plastic sleeve that goes on the output of the fuel pump and slides into a recess in the filter?
Thanks for your input CTScott! I actually read your thread on MI on the fuel filter analysis and also followed your directions on removal as outlined in some other threads here. Great info!

The o-ring I replaced was the little one that fits on top of the fuel pump. I did not replace the large blue one at the top of the tank.

Small plastic sleeve on the fuel pump outlet? I didn't come across this...can you explain this further please?

Thanks for the help...much appreciated!

www.twincamclub.co.za
Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV 2 11 View Post
Thanks for your input CTScott! I actually read your thread on MI on the fuel filter analysis and also followed your directions on removal as outlined in some other threads here. Great info!

The o-ring I replaced was the little one that fits on top of the fuel pump. I did not replace the large blue one at the top of the tank.

Small plastic sleeve on the fuel pump outlet? I didn't come across this...can you explain this further please?

Thanks for the help...much appreciated!
I have a fuel sender that I will take apart and take some pictures of to show you what I am talking about.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
REV 2 11

Quote:
I have a fuel sender that I will take apart and take some pictures of to show you what I am talking about.
Awesome, thank you!!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the one I have has TWO rubber pipes at the top, and then the fuel outlet pipe...like the one shown in the first post here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38381

www.twincamclub.co.za
Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Awesome, thank you!!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the one I have has TWO rubber pipes at the top, and then the fuel outlet pipe...like the one shown in the first post here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38381
I was thinking of the wrong thing. There is not a plastic sleeve on the filter - The one I was thinking of is on the fuel pressure regulator (which is the smaller metal device that is visible when you pull off the strainer.

Does your Yaris have the smart entry system or the engine immobilizer and if so, did you disconnect the battery when you were working on the fuel filter?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
REV 2 11

Quote:
I was thinking of the wrong thing. There is not a plastic sleeve on the filter - The one I was thinking of is on the fuel pressure regulator (which is the smaller metal device that is visible when you pull off the strainer.

Does your Yaris have the smart entry system or the engine immobilizer and if so, did you disconnect the battery when you were working on the fuel filter?
No stress.
Well I just stripped it again.
The only thing that looks like it may be a problem is the strainer. Still doesn't explain why it does not start at all.

No, this 2007 T3 has an aftermarket alarm system, but I'm pretty sure its not that...coz I can get the engine to swing. If the immobilser is not deactivated by button press on the remote, then it won't swing.

But yes, I did disconnect the terminal before removal.

I'm off to get the new Bosch fuel pump and strainer...man I am REALLY hoping that sorts it out.

www.twincamclub.co.za
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
REV 2 11

So I replaced the fuel pump and strainer, and the car started on the first turn!

BUT...the low idle (500-600rpm), and shuddering is still happening when the car is idling...any ideas what this could be?

Again when the a/c is switched on, the shuddering becomes worse...

www.twincamclub.co.za
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So I replaced the fuel pump and strainer, and the car started on the first turn!

BUT...the low idle (500-600rpm), and shuddering is still happening when the car is idling...any ideas what this could be?

Again when the a/c is switched on, the shuddering becomes worse...
Have you cleaned the MAF and the throttle body?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
REV 2 11

Quote:
Have you cleaned the MAF and the throttle body?
Yes, I forgot to mention that...when I removed the plugs yesterday, I cleaned the maf and TB as well, just in case that was the issue.

I came across this thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ht=shakes+idle

I'm going to try another COP from my 1ZZ, and see if that sorts it out. After that, I'm stumped...really.

www.twincamclub.co.za