Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
OMG this is why you change your OIL!

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=19270

appalling how negligent people are
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i've seen it a hundred times.

5kmile oil changes for the lose
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
^^^

are you serious?

That's the result of never changing oil, not doing it every 5k miles. I've torn about maybe 7-8 5.0 motor's on fox stangs that my family has owned, with anywhere from 60k to 150k and none have ever looked anything like that, and they did their oil changes anywhere from 5k to 10k miles.
shinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post

What in Gods name are you talking about??? Do you just randomly make shit up?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
What in Gods name are you talking about??? Do you just randomly make shit up?
yes.. i'm prepping a few threads for Rockland Toyota tomorrow morning... sshhhhhhhh

but seriously.. synthetic oil gets dirty at the same rate as dino oil.. ;)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post

Honestly I think 5k is way too long to wait.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
kou

Drives: 08 lb
if you want you motor to live for ever change it every 2500 miles with regular oil.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
4AGE 20V motors left the market in 1996....... I highly doubt anyone who posted those pictures actually owned one since new until now.

OMG the sky is falling.....the sky is falling ............

Get a grip people and start thinking things through and quit over-reacting with MUD (Made Up Drama)
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
4AGE 20V motors left the market in 1996....... I highly doubt anyone who posted those pictures actually owned one since new until now.

OMG the sky is falling.....the sky is falling ............

Get a grip people and start thinking things through and quit over-reacting with MUD (Made Up Drama)
either way it's old news, engine sludge is extremely common in new toyota engines due to lack of proper maintenance anyway.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I change my oil when the maintenance minder light comes on. Use synthetic oil and reset your maint minder light and you are good to go. Use a good filter like Napa Gold (Wix)!

BTW - Those pics are disgusting.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
AlexNet0

Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
well, I guess im the only one in the world that hasnt seen one that bad before, sorry.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #12
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Bought a 1982 Buick Regal with a V6. The previous owner was a hillbilly from Tennessee who was raised up before they had cars. He used horses to log.

In any case the man changed the oil every 10,000 miles whether it needed it or not. I started running Rotella through it, changing it every two thousand miles. I figured I'd slowly etch away at the crap I saw through the oil filler hole.

One day the head gasket on the driver's side failed. Doubt it had anything to do with my oil treatment, more like the car was overheated a time or two before I bought it.

When I pulled off the intake manifold and head it looked something like that motor you posted here, except it also had this black stuff that looked like coffee grounds. No biggie, I changed the gasket and was on my way.

...except...

The damn thing would, out the blue, start to get oil starved, like the oil light would come on and the lifters would chatter. This happened a lot on hills. I put up with it for a time, getting the living heck scared out of me each time it happened. We finally figured that it happened when the motor was running "hard".

One day I got inspired and took down the oil pan and found a La Brea tar pit of oil, coffee grounds, slime, wax and other crap. The oil pickup screen was two thirds clogged with coffee ground looking crap.

Apparently when I did the head gasket this crap kicked lose and drifted downwards into the pan, to clog the uptake screen.

I mucked out the oil pan, cleaned the uptake screen in carb cleaner (which will remove your skin if you're not careful) and put it all back together. Put in fresh oil.

Never had any more problems with the car until the rear body mount bolts sheared off. I sold it some kid for scrap.

The moral of the story being - change your oil!

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
The older GM V-6 was prone to oil passages clogging to do the small size. It was a common repair. Install a high volume oil pump too would help.

Inside the valve cover of ANY old engine just about looked that way. When I started rebuilding engines in the late 60's that picture was the "norm" and a clean engine was rare. Paint scrapers and kerosene cleaned them up quickly.

There were some people that would pour kerosene into the oil and let the engine run ..... this would break up the sludge and when the oil was drained it looked like syrup.

The typical "oil flush" is a kerosene based additive then drained.

History is repeating itself.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=19270

appalling how negligent people are
Didn't you read the post?
Quote:
This happens a lot with jdm motors. Since it's very expensive to keep an older car in Japan, people buy new cars with the intent of junking them at the next recertification.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
AlexNet0

of course I did, but
Quote:
people buy new cars with the intent of junking them at the next recertification.
is what I mean, there is no upkeep of their vehicles.