Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #325
Duncan Ashworth
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Unsafe 07 Yaris

Total cost spent to date related to the faulty ABS brake issue is $6000+- and counting. Sooner or later Toyota Canada has to issue a recall notice for this major safety defect. I'm amazed no one has been killed yet! We have spun around 3 times because of a locked rear wheel. Wow! unbelievable. I recently filed with Transport Canada. I will be undertaking legal action unless Toyota Canada fesses up.
Duncan Ashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #326
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
These sensors went out on me a couple times. Each time they were covered by Toyota warranty. First time was a few months after I bought the car brand new. Second time was two years later, which I thought was related to me pulling the hand break and drifting from time to time. But as I said, Toyota replaced sensors nonetheless. Now I have 2000 miles left under my 75000 mile warranty, so after that if it happens again, I guess I'll be in the same boat as some guys here looking to buy sensors and DIY.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #327
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Mine are ON all the time now! I guess I'm going to have to get down there and solder them directly.

D.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #328
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Ashworth View Post
Total cost spent to date related to the faulty ABS brake issue is $6000+- and counting. Sooner or later Toyota Canada has to issue a recall notice for this major safety defect. I'm amazed no one has been killed yet! We have spun around 3 times because of a locked rear wheel. Wow! unbelievable. I recently filed with Transport Canada. I will be undertaking legal action unless Toyota Canada fesses up.
Good luck with Transport Canada - I filed almost a year ago and got no response.

My ABS lights have been on for a couple of years now ... I don't really care to spend $$$ to fix this.

If you find a way to solder them directly to the hub without damaging anything, can you please post some pics of what you've done? I would like to do the same and then apply a crap-ton of weather proof silicone to seal the bugger.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #329
"G"

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
In order to solder them directly you need to remove the hub anyway, so you might as well install a new one.
"G" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #330
jit
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris sedan 2008
i did an abs at dixie toyota for 1000 cad right in the thick of a january snow - they changed wire and the calipers or so i think - sometimes when it rains i also have an engine check - surely toyota canada does not not give a damn of canadian weather for our 20000plus money - toyota was the best, now falling way behind ford, hyundai et al.
They need take responsibilities of their mess over n over, Toyota Engineering My Ft!
jit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #331
derickveliz2

Exclamation

TOYOTA please take notice!

This is why my lights (ABS + BREAK) turn on! (I'm guessing)

I did solder them directly and cover with a Sealant. We'll see how much they hold on!

D.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #332
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by onizuka View Post
Yes, ABS and handbrake lights are on. Meaning that your ABS is inactive.

Been there, done that last year. Speed sensor is defective. If I'm getting the same problem again due to cold/snowy weather, this proves that the car is poorly handling our Canadian winter.
Momentarily had this a few months ago. I suspected the VSS, couldn't prove it. Handbrake definitely was not dragging, my car free-rolled without issue.

Just another nail in the coffin proving my theory that the Yaris is the furthest thing ever from the reliable Echo...

derickveliz2:

I was under the impression the hub had to be removed to access these wires. Yay or nay?
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #333
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
I was under the impression the hub had to be removed to access these wires. Yay or nay?
No they don't. I did someone's brakes on their Yaris and cleaned and packed the connectors as preventative maintenance.

You need a small screwdriver or something to help get the clip off if I'm not mistaken. It was a while ago now.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #334
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post

derickveliz2:

Yes and No... It helps to fix them if you remove the hub, but 1 side had 2 wires broken all ready like you see in the pictures above, the other side only one wire was broken. I did remove them both. no access to the wires from the inside of the hubs, it's where the wires go into the hub. I hope I didn't confuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
N

You need a small screwdriver or something to help get the clip off if I'm not mistaken.
You need to squish the little tongue on the lower part of the hub.

"NO MORE LIGHTS FOR ME!!! and I spend nothing but my time. Lets see when they will turn on again!

D.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #335
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Just a friendly reminder to check on your sensors if you're changing over to your winter tires in the next three weeks or so. I know I'll be giving them their annual cleaning and application of dielectric grease.

It's a lot easier to clean them now, before the temperature gets into the negative double-digits!
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #336
Delfire
Quebec greekster

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
I just want to say, that whichever the problematics with sensors, specially ones around wheels, underbody, try lubing them with dielectric grease, or grease, whatever. Cause no matter how many times you change em, water, ice, salt snow.. aint helping.. and seems Toyota made a big bobo with Yarises or othr model sensorabilia.... up to date, i have changed, ABS sensors, Alternator Sensor, The radio ( a lil transistor thing burnt inside it) , and now im on my Camshaft sensor... Yeeee i wonder wich sensor will go next!? good thing i get parts cheap or free, and make em myself.. when its sunny... and aint raining or snowing.....

Note, before changing your ABS sensor, clean the connectors,and add dielectric greasse they should work just fine. IF pin isnt brocken from rust.
Delfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #337
"G"

My brain is hurting after trying to read your post ^^^^^.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #338
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
Yeah I had this problem last winter, the lights would come on and then go off a few days later, after winter it had not come back on, we still are waiting for our first snow here in Kentucky, and I feel it will start coming back on... I have 198,000 miles on my vehicle now, should be at 200,000 by end of January.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #339
Gman

Drives: 2008 yaris
I am back after almost a year and with good news. Since following the instructions here about opening the connection and cleaning the leads and then plugging it up with dielectric grease I have not had the light come on, and I have not lost my ABS brakes.

Big thanks to those of you who posted pic's and explained this easy fix.

Sad to see Toyota not putting a recall on this since it is a very dangerous situation. A couple times I would have ABS and then poof lost it when the lights came on, pretty scary stuff when you are skidding along a highway with cars on front and behind you.

So if you have not tried this fix, TRY IT!!!! My independent garage did it for free when I had them switching my winter tires to my summer tires.

Even if you DO NOT have this situation, I would do it as a preventative measure.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #340
"G"

Uhm your an idiot. When the light comes on you lose abs, but you do not lose any braking power.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #341
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
So I FINALLY had a yaris come in with an ABS light on, ended up being corrosion at the LR connector. If anyone is wondering it's only $45cdn for a whole new harness per side to fix, that is IF the bearings terminals aren't damaged. Fairly easy to change out as well. I'm a little confused at some of the posts saying thousands of dollars being spent to fix these problems Even both bearings and both harnesses replaced including labour wouldn't be $1000 using toyota parts, through my shop anyways...?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #342
"G"

What if the corrosion is on the terminals hub side? Then what are you going to replace??????????????????????