Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
NuMystic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 4D Sedan
Advice for first time ever Head Unit and Speaker Upgrade on a budget...

2009 Yaris Sedan

I'm looking at a Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS and have never done a HU install in my life. Currently none of my front speakers are working. The in door ones and left side have no sound at all and the top right side is intermittent. Back speakers are working fine.

Wondering if that's possibly just connection issues that might resolve when a new unit is installed?

Definitely on a budget but will consider getting it installed by someone more skilled if it's more than I think I can handle.

In my limited research I already know about getting a third party bypass for the brake issue.

I think this is the right cover piece for the Pioneer I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181897005099...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Haven't looked into the harness yet.

What's the lowest cost upgrade for the front speakers that will fit in the current openings without any major customization needed running off the Pioneer without an amp?

I'm basically looking for the simplest upgrade possible on a budget.

My main reason for upgrading to this unit is to get my front speakers working again and to connect to my iphone via USB for Spotify while mirroring Waze on the display using AppRadio.

Any and all help would be much appreciated!
NuMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
The speakers not working could just be age. Does it crackle? It could be internally shorting in the speakers. Or the stock radio could be broken. I would just buy any name brand cheap speaker that you can find on amazon. Anything sounds better than stock. Conversion harnesses are a cheap time saver. Metra should sell one. They also have a wire diagram online that you can use to splice the conversion harness onto. Do it right the first time, double check the connections you made after you splice everything together.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:11 AM   #3
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
you can search in the forums a 6.5" set will fit just have to cut the old speakers on the membrane themselves so you can reuse their frame as the "brackets" to screw your new speakers in. jbl gto609c are what i used but KenTK is right anything sounds better than stock.

however, before you resort to spending some dough, i would advise you to always start withthe cheapest step first, which is to check connections with a basic multitester or simple connection test (the ones that look like a screwdriver). might be broken wiring only. HTH

additionally, that Pioneer is a good unit. I would suggest you get one with Bluetooth too.
and since you havent done any wiring, make sure when you install the stereo that:
1) the unit doesnt have power or is not connected to +12V at any point during the install (better if you wire the metra harness so it's plug and play once done)
2) the speaker outputs from the stereo, are wrapped carefully and that they will never be shorted to ground at any point in their lifetime (it will fry the stereo)

Good luck
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
bassmannate

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
If you're looking at budget, the AVH-X2800BS is the same unit as the one you described but it just doesn't have the HD radio if that's something you really don't care about. Should be less expensive as well.
bassmannate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
NuMystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
you can search in the forums a 6.5" set will fit just have to cut the old speakers on the membrane themselves so you can reuse their frame as the "brackets" to screw your new speakers in. jbl gto609c are what i used but KenTK is right anything sounds better than stock.
The 6.5" are the ones by our legs and the rear speakers yes? I've heard a lot of people are now focusing on front only speakers which I'm considering. What about the two small round speakers at head level on the door frames by the windows?

Quote:
additionally, that Pioneer is a good unit. I would suggest you get one with Bluetooth too.
The unit I mentioned as well as the cheaper model suggested by bassmnnate have bluetooth. Going to be cabled into the USB 100% of the time in any case though so I can mirror using AppRadio and Waze.

Quote:
and since you havent done any wiring, make sure when you install the stereo that:
1) the unit doesnt have power or is not connected to +12V at any point during the install (better if you wire the metra harness so it's plug and play once done)
2) the speaker outputs from the stereo, are wrapped carefully and that they will never be shorted to ground at any point in their lifetime (it will fry the stereo)
All of that is pretty much foreign to me so I'm definitely leaning towards hiring someone from craigslist or going to a local shop to just get everything installed by someone that knows exactly what they're doing. Thank you for sharing all the details though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTK808 View Post
The speakers not working could just be age. Does it crackle?
The two speakers in the lower doors by our legs produce no sound at all. Same for the small round one by the window on the left. Small round one on the window frame on the right does crackle and kicks sometimes if I crank the volume way up but then cuts out again if lower the volume. Two back speakers seem to be fine apart from a volume difference. (left is lower than the right, need to adjust the balance to L-3 for it to sound even)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmannate View Post
If you're looking at budget, the AVH-X2800BS is the same unit as the one you described but it just doesn't have the HD radio if that's something you really don't care about. Should be less expensive as well.
Thanks! Only $25 difference but since I definitely don't care about radio at all that's still $25 more in my pocket.

Here's my current Amazon shopping list (not including speakers). Am I missing anything?

Pioneer AVH-X2800BS
Scosche Radio Wiring Harness for 87+ Ta Pwr/4Spk with Butt Connectors
Metra 95-8202 Toyota DDIN Multi Dash Kit
MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers
Rerii 3ft 1 Meter USB and 2RCA to USB & 3.5mm Female Flush Mount
Old 10-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuMystic View Post
The 6.5" are the ones by our legs and the rear speakers yes? I've heard a lot of people are now focusing on front only speakers which I'm considering. What about the two small round speakers at head level on the door frames by the windows?

The unit I mentioned as well as the cheaper model suggested by bassmnnate have bluetooth. Going to be cabled into the USB 100% of the time in any case though so I can mirror using AppRadio and Waze.

All of that is pretty much foreign to me so I'm definitely leaning towards hiring someone from craigslist or going to a local shop to just get everything installed by someone that knows exactly what they're doing. Thank you for sharing all the details though!

The two speakers in the lower doors by our legs produce no sound at all. Same for the small round one by the window on the left. Small round one on the window frame on the right does crackle and kicks sometimes if I crank the volume way up but then cuts out again if lower the volume. Two back speakers seem to be fine apart from a volume difference. (left is lower than the right, need to adjust the balance to L-3 for it to sound even)

Thanks! Only $25 difference but since I definitely don't care about radio at all that's still $25 more in my pocket.

Here's my current Amazon shopping list (not including speakers). Am I missing anything?

Pioneer AVH-X2800BS
Try to adjust the fader all the way to the front and see if they produce sound at all. The crackle question by another member is to tell us you have a loose wiring issue.

The ones by the legs and the doors are one and the same, they are the front speakers. The ones by the legs (front) are the mids - they produce the vocals - and the ones up top (small ones) are tweeters - they produce the cymbals, etc.

They are both connected to the front outputs of the stereo, if you trace it the tweeter usually have "something"in the wiring (its a capacitor) before it reaches the headunit. Sometimes both of them go into a different "something" (called a crossover, and its like a small box) and this something is the one connected to the stereo.

Ive tried to simplify the words for you :)

Which then reminds me, are those front speakers stock from factory? If not, my money goes to wiring issues.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
NuMystic

Quote:
Try to adjust the fader all the way to the front and see if they produce sound at all. The crackle question by another member is to tell us you have a loose wiring issue.
Got that, and answered in the previous post. A bit more detail:

Neither the mids or tweeter on the left are working at all. Mids on the right work and the right tweeter kicks in if I turn the volume way up but cuts back out once I lower the volume, and there is crackling when that happens.

Quote:
The ones by the legs and the doors are one and the same, they are the front speakers. The ones by the legs (front) are the mids - they produce the vocals - and the ones up top (small ones) are tweeters - they produce the cymbals, etc.
Thanks. I know about mids and tweeters. My question was about the suggestion made for replacements saying that any 6.5" set will fit.

I notice that lots of 6.5" speakers are all in one.

So to replace the front speakers I want a pair that has separate tweeters, and if I want to replace the rears I should be looking at speakers that are all in one?

Quote:
Which then reminds me, are those front speakers stock from factory? If not, my money goes to wiring issues.
Speakers are all stock.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #8
jcboy

Quote:
Got that, and answered in the previous post. A bit more detail:

Neither the mids or tweeter on the left are working at all. Mids on the right work and the right tweeter kicks in if I turn the volume way up but cuts back out once I lower the volume, and there is crackling when that happens.

Thanks. I know about mids and tweeters. My question was about the suggestion made for replacements saying that any 6.5" set will fit.

I notice that lots of 6.5" speakers are all in one.

So to replace the front speakers I want a pair that has separate tweeters, and if I want to replace the rears I should be looking at speakers that are all in one?

Speakers are all stock.
Crackling possibly means wiring issues. It would be nice to check that part of the troubleshooting.

In any case, youre correct. For fronts you need to find component speakers (separate tweeters from woofer/mid) while you need to find coaxials for the rear.
However with a good set of front components, you dont really need to replace the factory rears. ;)

Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
NuMystic

Quote:
However with a good set of front components, you dont really need to replace the factory rears. ;)
Thanks for noting that!

I"ve actually heard a lot of SQ installs are now focusing exclusively on front speakers and not even bothering with sound from the back at all.

Will look into the wiring testing mentioned earlier too now.

As for the rest of the shopping list above? I never heard back from anyone. Does that sound about right? Am I missing anything there?
Old 10-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #10
jcboy

Quote:
Pioneer AVH-X2800BS
Im not in the US so our displays dont turn off even when in motion.
Other than that, your shopping list seems about right for the first 3 items, as im not sure about the5th one Rerii. Our pioneers av receivers come with the USB extension cable and steering wheel adapter (3 open ended wires to a 2.5 or a 3.5mm jack).