Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
LoveAndLiveHappy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
2007 Toyota Yaris Power Steering / Dead Battery

This morning, after leaving a light on overnight, my battery was dead. I jumped it then upon pulling out of my garage noticed the power steering was weird. I drove a bit, then again - the power steering got real tight and the PS indicator light came on. I immediately drove to my oil change place, thinking maybe I need PS fluid, they quickly revealed that my car doesn't have a PS reservoir. I drove to the nearest gas/service station, because my fuel indicator was blinking that my gas tank was empty. As I pulled in the PS went out completely. I filled up my gas tank, then car wouldn't start again. The mechanic jump started the car and noticed the fuel indicator was still blinking that the gas tank was empty - weird. Anyone know anything about if the battery and power steering are connected in some way or is it just a coincidence? The mechanic kept the car and is replacing the battery (it's from 2012). He says he can't do much without being able to run the car.
LoveAndLiveHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Power steering on this car is electric, not hydraulic.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
I had issues with my PS and my radio cutting out randomly about a year ago. Before I dug into it too much I noticed some corrosion on my battery terminals one day and cleaned them. Haven't had either issue since.
Leegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
The Yaris has electric power steering. There is an electric motor geared to the steering shaft which will assist to varying degrees depending on driving conditions when you turn the wheel. There is a 50A fuse in the engine bay fuse box for this system.

There is also an EPS (Electric Power Steering) control module on the CAN (Car Area Network) which talks to the other modules in order to operate properly. Your low battery may have caused some sort of system error or it might be a plain old voltage drop and the motor can't work.

It is disconcerting. I drove a VW UP! with an EPS fault that used to come and go randomly. Power steering has made us soft. I couldn't believe how heavy the steering on that tiny car was.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
kendramwarwick35

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
I am having the same problem under different circumstances. But my car is acting the same way your is. I actually just made a thread about it. Did it go away? or where you able to figure it out and get it fixed?
kendramwarwick35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007, battery, gas, power steering, yaris