Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 AM   #37
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
You're missing the point.

I'm saying, why have a rev limiter where its at, when running into it will void warrenty? Why dosen't Toyota just set the rev limit low, so when you hit it nothing will happen? Or why have it at all? If there is a recorder that'll void your warrenty, that'll have the same effect if your engine blows up. You'll be left shit out of luck.

The air bag anology isn't the same as the rev limiter. Hitting the rev limiter dosen't require a wall. Why the hell would an engine create all of its power so close to the rev-limiter? How would you gain all of the 8.whater (or whatever the 0-60 speed is) by not reving to where the power is? Everyone should create big bore, big stroke engines, so going near the rev-limiter would be worthless. Not to mention the non s models do not have a tach, so figureing out where you're at isn't easy for the new driver..

My X-Runner dosen't have much top end power. Well, it does, but I've got oodles of torque in the low end, so I wouldn't really have to rev so high. Wouldn't that be the solution to a rev-limit warrenty void?

If you think that hitting a simple rev limiter is SUCH a risk, to be compared to condoms, and air bags, then you really need to get some of your values straight.

... and that picture wasn't called for.
I'm missing the point? My point is that there is NO reason to be that close to the rev limiter. Unless my Yaris is different than your Yaris, there is a definite
drop-off-point in power as the revs top out, so shift there. There is never a reason to be buzzing the rev-limiter for extended periods. Like I said, it's a rev-limiter, not a stupidity limiter...

The engine develops all of it's power at high revs because that is how it is designed. Again, when you feel the drop in power, shift. The max shift point does not change from day to day, try to remember about what it feels like, and SHIFT! If the Yaris made it's power low in the revs, it wouldn't get close to the same gas mileage, which is the basic point of the car.

What the hell is the "8.whater"?

If a manufacturer warranty's your product against defects, shouldn't they be able to monitor it for defects. That is what this "rev-limiter recorder" does, it monitors defects in the DRIVER. Why should the manufacturer be responsible for your abuse?

As for my values, I'm thinking mine sound pretty good. I don't do stupid stuff just because I have safety equipment...

...and the picture was funny

...and this will be locked soon, that's what happens when I get more than 1 post in a thread
Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #38
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #39
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
who said anything about driving at redline for days on end?
I was racing someone, and was at a point where if I shifted I would be making less power than if I kept it at 6K, so I did that. then the light blinked.

since I have installed a weapon R intake I have not seen the light return.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #40
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
who said anything about driving at redline for days on end?
I was racing someone, and was at a point where if I shifted I would be making less power than if I kept it at 6K, so I did that. then the light blinked.

since I have installed a weapon R intake I have not seen the light return.
I think the power band maximizes WAY before 6,000 RPM....it is stupid to shift at start of red line...better to determine where the power is maximum, then shift just after that point.

And dudes, don't feel scared of near redline RPM's....at that point the engine does not wear out any faster then at mid level RPM's....as to engine wear, 90% of that happens during morning starts, and up to 10 minutes after the engine is running....oil needs time to get to operational temperature...too thick, it does not flow as well...and it is engine flow (more then oil pressure) that protects the engine the most.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #41
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro