Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
ajae

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-door hatch
Cold Air Intake on a Budget

Hi Folks,

Thought I'd post this, but I don't recommend it if you are concerned about your warranty.

I purchased a NOS K&N filter (RU-1830) off e-bay that I thought was the right size, rounded up a short piece of ABS pipe and some silicon and I was going to make me a RAM intake on a budget! Total cost < $50.

Took about an hour from start to finish to set this up and my Yaris, she just had this growl that she never had before. Took her for a boot, and low and behold after 10 minutes, the engine light came on. A little too much air, not air tight? who knows, but since I was concerned about voiding warranties and all that, I put the stock setup back on and reset the computer (disconnected the batter for a minute, plus a couple of key fuses).

But the good news was there was a NOTICEABLE increase in power!http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/ima...es/thumbup.gif

Anyhow, check out the pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0730a.JPG (124.3 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0731a.JPG (179.4 KB, 333 views)
Love my toys!
ajae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
maf sensor located too close to the filter, and possibly a leak lol. Id say that filter is waaaayyyy too big, a bit of an overkill. Longer piping and a shorter filter and it may have worked aslong as you had a good seal around the maf.

I dont recommend the set up, but it was definately cool to see you give it a shot, a few of us are trying. Chinocharles has gotten the most progress, a few others and myself as well. the maf has to be closer to the throttle body with an open filter like that.

and whats up with the rust lol....
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
holy ghetto fabulous batman!!
for $100 you could have had a real one... what happens when you need to take the maf out??
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
wow...
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
webomatics

Drives: SILVER BULLET
NOT BAT YOU CAN CUT THE EXCESS TUBING FROM AND "GENERIC EBAY" SCION XB ONE AND WILL FIT PERFECTLY. i DID IT AND HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANY ERROR CODES SINCE I PUT IT IN (DID I MENTION THE THING COST ME $35 BUCKS SHIPPED)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0749.jpg (167.9 KB, 292 views)
webomatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
More rust!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
BrazdonW
What kind of car is that?

Drives: Yaris 3d liftback
Send a message via AIM to BrazdonW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
maf sensor located too close to the filter, and possibly a leak lol. Id say that filter is waaaayyyy too big, a bit of an overkill. Longer piping and a shorter filter and it may have worked aslong as you had a good seal around the maf.

I dont recommend the set up, but it was definately cool to see you give it a shot, a few of us are trying. Chinocharles has gotten the most progress, a few others and myself as well. the maf has to be closer to the throttle body with an open filter like that.

and whats up with the rust lol....
even though i dont agree with this setup just as u don't i feel slightly differently.
i only differ about the filter size. im just curious if there is an overkill if you have the room for it? if u take a look at the Tein yaris with the custom K&N intake the filter is HUGE. so im assuming there is a benefit?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
AlphaFox

where are you seeing rust?? on that one bracket? I think all yarii have that rust, mine had that when it was still in the dealers lot.
Webomatic, looks decent.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I think it's awesome your trying it yourself. I have a DIY for a PSP I'm working on.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
AlphaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I think it's awesome your trying it yourself. I have a DIY for a PSP I'm working on.
your working on a Playstation Portable?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
ajae

Thanks for the replies everyone! and the advice too! Makes me want to give it another go! I had seen the Scion option before but decided to go real hill-billy more for laughs and to see if it would work. That's part of the fun anyway isn't?
A Toyota wouldn't be a Toyota without at least a little rust lol.
Cheers,
Love my toys!
Old 07-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
your working on a Playstation Portable?
Well, not making a PSP, but a nice mounting inside the car & to make use of the aux port for the stereo. I just have to find a clean way to rout the wires. With it's music playing capabilities and movie capabilities, could be a nice alternative for those who want more in-car entertainment while not molesting the car or replacing the stock stereo. I should have the DIY on it's own thread before the 14th. Also trying to work out a couple issues that did come up with fitting.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I can only imagine what ajae will do if he sees the video of the leaf blower turbo mod. LOL!
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
ajae

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
I can only imagine what ajae will do if he sees the video of the leaf blower turbo mod. LOL!
One step ahead of you; I've modified the defrost fan to include a hobby air compressor with the AC unit to pump cooled compressed air into the air intake....whooo, you should have seen the smoke......anyhow that's another DIY
Love my toys!
Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
That one always splits my side. My friend that did that goes >>>HEY ITS FORCED INDUCTION !!!!

It was as a joke or I would never call him my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #16
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Well, not making a PSP, but a nice mounting inside the car & to make use of the aux port for the stereo. I just have to find a clean way to rout the wires. With it's music playing capabilities and movie capabilities, could be a nice alternative for those who want more in-car entertainment while not molesting the car or replacing the stock stereo. I should have the DIY on it's own thread before the 14th. Also trying to work out a couple issues that did come up with fitting.
Keep me posted, I could use something for my PSP and/or iPhone!
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
wow...thats...ghetto...tacky...jury rigged...um...i cant find a word that describes this "mod"...

Silicone+air intake....nuff said.

if you are on a budget, next time, buy a drop in K&N filter and remove the intake tuner tube off the box, cut a square hole in the front of the box facing the radiator...sounds like a intake, gives a little bit more zip...costs less...wont throw codes...problem solve.

Remember kiddies, Silicone goes in breasts, not on your intake tube.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #18
Fenrizwolf
I used to have more posts

Drives: '10HyundaiTucson'07Impreza
I just got a MAF adapter and a cone filter for my eclipse 40 bucks for a custom SRI
Fenrizwolf is offline   Reply With Quote