Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
dadi_oh

Drives: RS 4 Door Hatch
Rusty Muffler

I have a 2006 Yaris RS hatchback that went into service Nov 11, 2005. After a couple of winters on Ontarios salt covered roads the rear hanger for the exhaust has started to rust and has spread onto the rear surface of the muffler itself. What I was thinking of doing was to spray the rear of the muffler (or possibly the whole underside of it as well) with flat black manifold paint. I thought this also might be a visual improvement since I think the focus should be the tail pipe and not the silver (aluminum) rear of the muffler anyways.

Anyone ever try this? Would the paint adhere properly? Would I negate any kind of factory muffler warranty by doing this? For that matter should this be covered under warranty or would it only cover a large hole eating through the muffler.

Thanks

Last edited by dadi_oh; 09-11-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typos
dadi_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
So you're just going to spray what's hidden? Sounds good. Even if it wares off, which it prolly will, just re-spray it.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Now that the rust has begun, I think it may have trouble adhering properly. I suppose if you scuff all the rust off (wire brush in a drill) you could make it work ok. Also, stove paint tends to come off, like the dust primer leaves, so try not to get it everywhere
Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
staticorex

^ Even paint cleaner would work if you want to apply the time.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
dadi_oh

Drives: RS 4 Door Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
Now that the rust has begun, I think it may have trouble adhering properly. I suppose if you scuff all the rust off (wire brush in a drill) you could make it work ok. Also, stove paint tends to come off, like the dust primer leaves, so try not to get it everywhere
I have some stuff called "rust converter" that chemically reacts with teh rust to create a paintable substance (or so it claims). I will probably wire brush off the area of interest, clean it up the best I can with some sort of solvent (maybe IPA), apply the rust converter, mask off the surrounding areas, and paint. I have just never heard of painting a muffler before so wanted to see if anyone had tried it before.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
staticorex

There was some talk of it when Chris sprayed the inside of the wheel wells. You could search for that to see if any good info was brought up. Can't remember the title though, sorry.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
I have the same rust problem on both of my 2007 3 door liftback. Rust converter sounds like a good idea. Then spray paint. Muffers get hot and will burn off most paints.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadi_oh View Post
I have some stuff called "rust converter" that chemically reacts with teh rust to create a paintable substance (or so it claims). I will probably wire brush off the area of interest, clean it up the best I can with some sort of solvent (maybe IPA), apply the rust converter, mask off the surrounding areas, and paint. I have just never heard of painting a muffler before so wanted to see if anyone had tried it before.
you need something like this or your need to sand blast it, its the only way you can really get rid of the rust.

if you just paint over it i'll flak off in a day or 2

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote