Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
"Yaris is...a symbol of being broke."

Worst car names in dealerships now
Quote:
2. Toyota Yaris: Soviet sister vehicle to Boris? Toyota explains this is a combo of Greek goddess Charis, a symbol of beauty and elegance, and the German expression of agreement, “ya.” Budgetmobile Yaris is no symbol of beauty and elegance. It's a symbol of being broke.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I'm broke. Lol
Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
G-Ammo

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2009; 1.0 3 Cil.

but this explains why XD!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
If you are broke, you can't afford to buy a yaris <6yrs
Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
If you are broke, you can't afford to buy a yaris <6yrs
This. In America, fuel economy is such a big concern that people will pay upwards of $12k for a Yaris with less than 100k miles. Perhaps the 1.0L 1st gen in Russia is a "broke" person's car, but the 2nd and 3rd gen 1.5's in the US are anything but.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
In the U.K. you have to be far from broke to afford a Yaris! It's not called "rip off Britain/treasure island" for nothing.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Wow

Chicago (Tribune) has really gone downhill since I moved from there in 2000
I think it's the symbol of 'Skipping A Month' when getting gasoline

In 1 1/2 years exactly, I've spent $786.68 for gas in Scruffy Yar Yar -

So SUCK-IT Tribune article (and Yahoo! articles for that matter, and Cadillac Escalade, too)
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
This. In America, fuel economy is such a big concern that people will pay upwards of $12k for a Yaris with less than 100k miles. Perhaps the 1.0L 1st gen in Russia is a "broke" person's car, but the 2nd and 3rd gen 1.5's in the US are anything but.
^^^^^ This. I think another concern, in addition to fuel economy, is reliability. I'd think the reliability of the Yaris also helps it retain a high resale value.

Also, people have different things they do and don't like to spend their money on. I know a couple. They dom't have any kids. They drive really old Volvos that just won't die. They buy very inexpensive clothing.The husband invented a device that is used in many surgical procedures. The only way anyone would have an inkling that they have the money they do, is that they live in a house they bought for about 5 million USD. I know another guy whose net worth hasn't dipped below 50 million USD in many years. He drives a dented 1972 Buick Skylark that barely 'passes smog' , but buys his wife a new Mercedes whenever she wants one. I know another family. They live on a 10 acre suburban estate....pool, tennis court, stables. The most recent addition is a lake they stocked with fish. What do they drive? A bunch of Volkswagen Beetles/Bugs...all different vintages. People aren't always easy to pigeonhole.

There is a saying I've heard in DFW -- "30k Millionaire". Here people use a term I prefer, "All hat and no cattle". Some Yaris owners might not have a lot, but some just prefer to be 'All cattle and no hat' .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca72 View Post
Your link crashed my browser. Which figures; since it's to the elitists in the Chicago mediuh.

In this day and age of nothing-down easy credit (based on non-financial parameters) a better sign of being broke is having an expensive car with heavy time payments on.

My Yaris is PAID FOR. Money I make, I can spend on something ELSE.

In fact, I am looking to sell the Yaris, for an older 4x4 truck if I can find it. I can do this because I don't have to WORRY about being upside-down on it. Two months I've been trying to sell it...but, you know what? If I don't find a buyer, I don't lose. I'm still okay with a good car, just one I'm not using much.

The elitists at the Chicago Tribune cannot conceive of a lifestyle not based on gaudy status symbols paid for with borrowed money.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Your link crashed my browser. Which figures; since it's to the elitists in the Chicago mediuh.

In this day and age of nothing-down easy credit (based on non-financial parameters) a better sign of being broke is having an expensive car with heavy time payments on.

My Yaris is PAID FOR. Money I make, I can spend on something ELSE.

In fact, I am looking to sell the Yaris, for an older 4x4 truck if I can find it. I can do this because I don't have to WORRY about being upside-down on it. Two months I've been trying to sell it...but, you know what? If I don't find a buyer, I don't lose. I'm still okay with a good car, just one I'm not using much.

The elitists at the Chicago Tribune cannot conceive of a lifestyle not based on gaudy status symbols paid for with borrowed money.
^^^^^ Yep. That philosophy is ingrained on both sides of my family. I don't think anyone of us has ever had a car payment. I think that term "30k millionaire" originally came from people buying expensive cars with heavy time payments.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
IMHO, THIS is a symbol of being broke here:
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/opel-co...requence=DAILY
Old 10-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #12
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
I think the E-bike riders are the true broke commuters. Plus they probably lost their license due to a DUI or something, lol. (not trying to be mean) :)
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
If I was broke, I woulda bought an Echo, as they can be had for 2-5K when I was looking last year. I bought my Yaris because I worked on Yotas at a Yota dealership for 2 years and these powertrains are pretty proven and bulletproof. I still work on cars, different maker now, but we both drive Yotas, the wife and I. I love my Yar, although I do miss my 94 Caprice wagon when racing someone. I beat many, many people with that station wagon. The Yar, I have to beat em in cornering and reaction times, but, cute little cars the Yars are.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Just because one has money does no mean they have to throw it away on things they do not want or need.

I bought a Yaris precisely because it was relatively cheap and basic ......enough said! :)
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #15
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I bought my 2012 Yaris (new, paid cash) not because I'm broke, but because I'm cheap and because I don't get any "thrill" out of driving. I just wanted something to reliably get me from point A to point B. I could easily have afforded much more car, but it wouldn't have made me any happier.

I'm also the guy selling little trinkets on ebay to make $1-$2 because I like easy money, not because I need it :)
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #16
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
Interesting topic. when my old volvo broke down I pondered what I wanted in a car, cheap was never on my list. but low maintainence/operation cost and realiability are as my volvo has something broken that needs fixing every year. and permium gas is not somthing I like to pay for anymore.

So after a through search at the time the Yaris came up on the top of the list for reliability and fuel economy, the price was acturally a bonus as I was ready to pay more for a new car.
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:00 AM   #17
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Only shallow, image-obsessed people judge a person's economic status on what sort of car they drive, how big their home is, etc. Just because I can afford a new Lexus doesn't mean that I want an tech-bloated, thief-magnet, status-symbol automobile (with an mandatory automatic transmission - ughh).
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #18
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I've found that when I was looking for a car, there were plenty cheaper. More specs for less money. However, I also found that the Yaris fit me perfectly.

I've got a lot compliments on my car actually. Saying it looks futuristic, sporty, fun, etc.

Best compliments I get are ones that say this car really fits me!