Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
I agree with some points in the article, but it still depends on the vehicle in my eyes and conditions. You can't tell me a windy day with 15 to 20 mph winds doesn't play into the cars drag with open windows on an LB yaris vs calm winds out of the southeast at 2 mph. My area, gets hit with crazy winds and I can tell you, without a scan gauge, I've seen the gas get sucked out while having the windows open vs having them open.

EDIT: I guess we can all agree to disagree on this. I just read 4 articles ranging from Car and Driver to Gasbuddy.com. It's 50/50 across the board. Some say yes, some say no.
Open windows vs. open windows? That's a tough one...
Old 11-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
They all say different with having the AC on or off so the conclusion I think would be to practice other gas saving tips like making sure tires are inflated to the proper psi, things like that. Good luck
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
smacky

Drives: 2008 Liftback AT
AC and windows

Before the hack there was some great data collected that showed FE with windows open or AC running at various speeds. It showed across the board that the AC used more fuel than driving with the windows open. Bailout has come to the same conclusions and my experience with the Scangauge corroborates it as well.
It's different for different cars, Mythbusters did a show with some SUVs and they got better FE with AC running. But I'm pretty sure this is due to their bigger engines.
It can get pretty hot here in Utah too, but 100 degrees here is not the same as 100 degrees in the southeast. I can't say what I'd do there, only the best I could.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
I agree that a lot depends on the type of vehicle and conditions.
My only point was to debunk a myth that is widespread.

As for me personally, I will always prefer open windows to A/C no matter how hot it is
outside.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
lol. screw that! you're in their blindspot. no thanks.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
I love a/c.
Couldn't care what it costs me to be comfortable.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Bart68

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydisrock View Post
I love a/c.
Couldn't care what it costs me to be comfortable.
I have to agree, the few pennies it costs to run A/C is way better than cooking to death or having to smell stinky cars around you in traffic. I won't even look at a car for purchase unless it has A/C.

Bart68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
I know it is a pretty simple tactic, but I hadn't really thought of this until the other day: I try not to use the A/C for FE reasons but it gets warm in my car when the sun is shining right in, so I like to pace trucks to stay in the big shadow that they cast. This way I am constantly in the shade! It's a simple yet effective way to eliminate the need for A/C. Just my $0.02

I hate to be the first one to break this to you but you are not doing your FE any favours by hiding in the shade of the truck. In that picture the shade is on the right side of the truck.

If you drive on the right side (or the left) of the truck you will get all the wind resistance coming off the front of the truck, this will cause more drag on your car and you'll need to put more strain on the engine to keep at the same speed as the truck, thus using more fuel.

As others have also said it is not safe to drive in a trucks blind spot for any amount of time, let alone deliberately staying there. I applaud you for trying to boost your FE, but trust me, use your air con and live a little.

If you want to enhance your FE skills check out Bailouts thread by clicking here, start by using Basic FE then work your way up.

I hope this helps.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
k2vitz

Drives: Vitz 2006
Quote:
I know it is a pretty simple tactic, but I hadn't really thought of this until the other day: I try not to use the A/C for FE reasons but it gets warm in my car when the sun is shining right in, so I like to pace trucks to stay in the big shadow that they cast. This way I am constantly in the shade! It's a simple yet effective way to eliminate the need for A/C. Just my $0.02
Simple tactic but very dangerous. I will put on AC if it is hot than to drive in the shadow of that big rig.
k2vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Also, driving alongside the big rig, it might kick up some gravel and stuff from off the road and onto the side of your car. I work in an industrial area where a lot of big rigs drive up and down the street basically all day long. No one working at my company wants to park their personal vehicles on the side of the road because the big rigs kick up gravel and leave tiny dents/paint chips on the sides of cars as they're driving past. I'd rather just use my a/c than deal with paint chips or a possible safety hazard.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
according to mythbusters anything around 30-35 plus = better eficiency with AC versus windows down

Note- **The above statement is one proven by busters of myths, and in no way reflects the opinions of at3gg or his non existent affiliates.**

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 AM   #12
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by at3GG View Post
according to mythbusters anything around 30-35 plus = better eficiency with AC versus windows down

Note- **The above statement is one proven by busters of myths, and in no way reflects the opinions of at3gg or his non existent affiliates.**
I wish that the Mythbusters had gathered some useful data before they aired that episode, and so do they. There was such a negative backlash from it that they revisited it later that same season with a much more correct and accurate test and totally debunked their earlier findings. They found what logic tells one one is true: That the a/c causes more of a negative effect on fuel economy in any vehicle and at any speed than having the windows down.

For some reason it seems that most Netizens managed to see that first, incorrect episode but somehow managed to miss the second, corrective one.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I wish that the Mythbusters had gathered some useful data before they aired that episode, and so do they. There was such a negative backlash from it that they revisited it later that same season with a much more correct and accurate test and totally debunked their earlier findings. They found what logic tells one one is true: That the a/c causes more of a negative effect on fuel economy in any vehicle and at any speed than having the windows down.

For some reason it seems that most Netizens managed to see that first, incorrect episode but somehow managed to miss the second, corrective one.
Maybe another company came in and paid more money for them to make up some untested results....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Second one's not on the DVD sets either AFAIK

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
YouTube clip please?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
YouTube clip please?
I was wrong about the episode placement. The more accurate test showing that windows down is better than a/c was actually in the same episode where the computer measurements showed the opposite. I thought it was in a revisited myth episode later in the season, but that was just a "flashback" to that segment used as a lead in to another fuel economy myth.

That episode, or at least those segments, are not on YouTube (likely due to takedown notices - say, "Thank you, DMCA") but here is a Wikipedia page speaking about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBus...._Windows_Down

And here is a more in-depth explanation of the episode: http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2004/11/m..._catapult.html (scroll down to "Windows down vs. air conditioning")

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #17
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I simply cannot understand not using the AC and being uncomfortable to save a minuscule amount of money on gas, ESPECIALLY with current prices at about $1.60 a gallon.

I drive about 350 miles a week and with current prices, it costs me only about $15 a week fueling the Yaris. Turning the AC off (although not using it right now in December of course), would save maybe $.50 a week. Um, what's the point especially when discomfort is the main result? Do we really need that extra piece of gum?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #18
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I simply cannot understand not using the AC and being uncomfortable to save a minuscule amount of money on gas, ESPECIALLY with current prices at about $1.60 a gallon.

I drive about 350 miles a week and with current prices, it costs me only about $15 a week fueling the Yaris. Turning the AC off (although not using it right now in December of course), would save maybe $.50 a week. Um, what's the point especially when discomfort is the main result? Do we really need that extra piece of gum?
You also have a fairly efficient car, so your savings for not using the A/C wouldn't be as large as if you were driving a truck or something, but using the A/C does cost you about 10% of your FE.

I'm sure I waste in areas which others can't understand, but whenever I learn how to lessen my areas of waste, I will try my best to put those more efficient methods into practice. For me, not using the A/C in the summer means a 15% improvement in FE and one extra day between visits to the pump.

It's also my experience that if you willingly waste a little in one area you find it easier to waste on other little things and that over time can really add up.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote