Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2006, 01:23 AM   #1
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
Has anyone else put in a DVD player?

I figured I would go all out on a head unit since I plan to drive this car for a long time. It's the JVC KW-AVX706. It plays CD/DVD/DVD-R and SD card (mp3s on SD card or CD/DVD). It even played some mpeg movies I burned to a DVD! The picture quality is amazing, the pic does not do it justice. It seems like it sounds good too but I still have the stock speakers whcih really suck.

The install was incredibly easy with a Scosche wiring harness. The head unit just bolted right up to the bracket that was already in my sedan. It does have 1/2" gaps on either side which I will have to fill with something, but other than that it fits perfectly. Price was $530 from ebay.

AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
Alexandre2k3

Drives: Yaris liftback
that's sweet, looks really stock

i was thinkin of putting in a dvd navigation combo by pioneer but still need time to raise the 1300 bones. Did you have to modify anything to watch movies while driving?

07 POLAR liftback
Kendwood HU
Audiobahn amp
Alpine type S font
Pioneer rear
10" bandpass sub
Alexandre2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #3
AlexK

There was a wire that I was supposed to hook up to the parking brake that would disable movies unless the parking brake was applied. I must have forgotten and connected it straight to ground so movies will play all the time. oops.

So far I've only had a movie while driving for a passenger, and it was Tommy Boy, a movie I've seen about 1000 times and don't need to see to enjoy. I will never try to watch a movie myself while driving, that's just stupid. The huge display is cool for playing mp3's too. It shows you the one that's playing, as well as the others in the same folder.

Navigation would have been cool but it's so expensive. Mine has a aux video in so I could always add a nav system later (one that has video out and no screen).
Old 08-12-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
riceboy

Drives: icebox
that looks amazing.. i've always thought that it would be great with a double din dvd player... i'm waiting out for the GPS units to drop in price though... i figure if i'm spending the dough, I might as well get a complete setup... hey is the deck a detacheable?
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:25 AM   #5
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
wow. that looks uncommonly clean. you can't get that "clean/oem" look in most of the newer toyotas. nice mod imo.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Wow, looks great!

Yeah, it totally looks o.g. stock.

Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #7
iloveyarisRS

Drives: Yaris RS
is only JVC-kw-avx706 suitable Yaris RS
iloveyarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
SEaton

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Is the screen detachable?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #9
riceboy

Drives: icebox
any double din screen will give you the oem look.... the space and placement of the radio is really great in this car.
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #10
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
that looks amazing.. i've always thought that it would be great with a double din dvd player... i'm waiting out for the GPS units to drop in price though... i figure if i'm spending the dough, I might as well get a complete setup... hey is the deck a detacheable?
Most if not all DVD Double Din units are not detacheable.
They do have a security code feature which allows you to set a numeric/alphanumeric password which is required for it to operate.

Double DIN units have been, and still are, extremely fashionable in Asian markets. Some of the Japanese DD units are amazing!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
Nice work AlexK! The look is amazing...now I want one!

...but this little thing cost about 1000$cad here in Canada!...and it will be about the same if I order it from us with taxes, shipping and dot...now that sucks!
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
AlexK

No it is not detachable. I'm glad I have a garage to park in.

You are right about the Japanese and their love of screens in their cars. I go to Japan every couple of months for work. Just about every car has a bright screen in it for navigation, movies, etc. Lots of cool small cars we can't get here too. We have it so much better than they do though as far as driving goes. Their freeways are mostly toll roads and expensive. It also costs a lot to park in the cities (same in the US I guess but not where I live). I asked one guy that works at my company and it costs him the equivalent of $35/day just for tolls and parking (commuting from Kobe to Kyoto). Gas costs double what it does in the US also.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
i have one in my car. it is a combo unit though, lower half of it is the player, and the upper half is a motorized screen. i like the position of the screen better because it pops up over the center dash vents, but the way yours is set up looks a lot cleaner imo. i have the 1/2" gaps on either side that i need to take care of as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deck.jpg (50.4 KB, 172 views)
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote