Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Yar

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Metallic
Amps, Subs, Bandpass...

Hey,

I'm a complete newbie to this, and have recently made the decision to scrap the factory Stereo unit in my 07 Yaris.

This would be the 1st time I've ever actually replaced a sound system in a car. I don't plan on installing anything, but im needing a bit of advice on how to properly do this.

A few friends of mine have recommended that I go out and get a "Bandpass Sub." They look great, and I from what I'm told, they do produce a very good loud thump. My worries are, it’s a little too big, for the back of my 2door Yaris.

Would you boys recommend a "Bandpass Sub?" Also, what would be a good amp for me to invest in?

Thanks

-Bill
Yar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, i wouldnt worry about size, i fit two 12s in the back of my yaris. however, sound quality is an issue. bandpass sub encosures do hit hard, but it isnt the cleanest sound out there...bandpass refers to the champered enclosure the subs sit in. if you want cool looks and cheap loud bang, get a bandpass...you want clarity and prescision, get a sealed box and some higher quality subs.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
Yar

From what I'm gathering, the "Jensen Dual 10" Subwoofer Bandpass System" is a good preformer, a good thump, and a very reasonable price.

Ya, it is a bandpass system, but I'm sorta growing attached to it.

-Bill
Old 09-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
Jensen??? Well, seeing as it is your first setup it's ok but personally I wouldn't be caught dead with Jensen. Save money and go with a ported box. They're smaller and sound a crapload better
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Yar

Alright that’s cool.

What would you boys recommend for a sub? and box?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
personally i have 2 12in audiobahn special edition subs and couldnt be happier. you do know you're going to need an amp too. are you looking to upgraded the speakers too?
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
I never recommand bandpass enclosure if you're looking for a great sound quality. Bandpass give a real bad sound, only some huge vibrations, no real bass at all!

Always use sealled enclosure for highest sound quality or maybe vented enclosure for more powerfull bass but with a not bad sound quality. Bandpass is not the way to go with.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
Yar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflb55
personally i have 2 12in audiobahn special edition subs and couldnt be happier. you do know you're going to need an amp too. are you looking to upgraded the speakers too?
The plan is to re-amp the whole system.

My plans:

1) 2x Subs (Pioneer 12" TSW306DVC)
2) 2x Sealed Sub Boxes
3) Amp (Undecided yet)
4) New Deck (Undecided yet)
5) 4 New Speakers (Undecided yet)

It’s a project for myself, but I do plan on having most of it, if not all of it done up soon.

Thanks for the advice, I've actually been turned around on the "Bandpass Subs" and now looking at two 12" subs, in a sealed box.

Any suggestions on amps, decks, speakers or whatever would be great.

-Bill
Old 09-04-2006, 09:28 PM   #9
twixt

Drives: 07 LB,04&06 ninja 636
Send a message via AIM to twixt
pioneer subs? lemme help you out, go for polk, fosgate or kicker. I was over at circuit city comparing the subs they have set-up and the polks sounded the best, so thats what ill be using ;)
twixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
MacMaster761
Five-Star General

Drives: 07 Silver Streak Mica
Send a message via AIM to MacMaster761
those arent bad though 400W RMS is pretty nice. Let me suggest this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134702499156

if you're goin with those pioneer woofers. 360 RMS on the amp so you pretty much have 360W of pure power running to two subwoofers.

JWU '09 Baking and Pastry
MacMaster761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
or another quality sub for very very reasonable price is the Alpine type R, if you liked the "feal" of the bandpass box, i would recomend a sealed box, and you should be happy with thte feal, and a ton more satisfide with the quality of the sound.

as for recomendation on amp/deck/speakers, there are millions of things that could be recomended without knowing the price range you are willing to spend :)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
DollaZo

Drives: Toyota Yaris YRS
I am running two 12" Pioneer TS-W300R subs, off a 1000W Pioneer GM-D510M Monoblock. I also have a Pioneer GM-6200F 4 channel amp running the speakers. I havent yet changed my deck but I amlooking at the pioneeer AVH-P6850DVD and change the stock speakers to complete the system.

So far I am really happy with the quality. Its clear and loud, but the deck is slow and somtimes rejects MP3 CD's that I a have.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
My last sub set up I ran two 10" pioneer IMPP's and was very impressed with the output, SQ and most of all reliability/durability.
I ran them off a JBL600.1 for 2 years in my car, then a JBL 300.1 when I switch them over to my truck.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:02 AM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
A few tips...

1. Go listen to a bunch of subwoofers first hand. Don't take what other people say about subwoofers to heart, because even if someone truthfully had a crap system, they wouldn't admit it to you.

2. Worry about the highs and mids first. You will always see a bigger difference in overall sound quality if you spring for a good set of speakers before going for a subwoofer, and that goes double for this car. The stock speakers have paper cones.

3. On the topic of boxes...

Bandpass boxes are indeed the loudest, but are also usually the largest and quality is the worst. The bass is loud but shallow. Ideal for SPL and competition.

Sealed boxes take the most power to get comparable SPL levels, but they are by far the most accurate of the three boxes.

Ported boxes are usually going to produce higher SPL levels than sealed boxes (though not as high as bandpass boxes) at the expense of a bit of the sound quality.

For us liftback owners, I think a sealed box is a must. It will save room, and there is no trunk impeding the movement of sound from the sub to your ear, so be sure any subwoofer with decent power in a liftback is going to bump. (I am planning on a single 10) Sedan owners may be interested in ported or bandpass applications, although with such a small space I would definitely suggest some Dynamat... I forsee trunk rattle.

Hope this helped some.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #15
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I have a 'crap' system. Its worked great for me, so I cant complain, even the sound quality isnt too bad. I run two 12" Volfenhag subs and 2000w amp. My HU is not so crap its a 2005 sony special edition. I designed the box in cad and built it with 3/4" MDF. It takes up the whole hatch (sub, box and amp). The subs point up at an angle against the hatch, provides huge bass inside the car and little to none outside the car... unless your looking to showoff its a great setup.

BTW - On the hatch models there is a small metal panel above the rear glass, this rattles like hell with any amount of decent bass.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #16
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Chino is right.

Listen to different subs, and most important, different enclosures.
For a car like the Yaris, I believe a sealed enclosure will deliver a good amount of punch depending on the music.

Component speakers are probably the best investment you will ever make in your car stereo setup. A decent, and sometimes expensive, set of component speakers will dramatically improve your car's stereo experience.

And always, ALWAYS power your speakers with an amplifier.
You cannot purchase a set of $500 component speakers and expect them to run at full capacity using in-deck amplifier power. I cannot stress this enough!

If you cannot afford to power your speakers by an amp, then I suggest purchasing 2/3-way speakers for the vehicle and run them off deck power. You will notice a gain in SQ, but no where near the power of a dedicated amp powering your speakers.

I know patience is sort of thin when you are modding your car, but if you can slowly piece out your system you will be much more satisfied in the end.

In the end it becomes a balancing act of how much you can spend (now and in the future) and how badly you want to change the stock setup.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
And always, ALWAYS power your speakers with an amplifier.
You cannot purchase a set of $500 component speakers and expect them to run at full capacity using in-deck amplifier power. I cannot stress this enough!
!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can pick up a nice set of components and a 4/3/2 channel amp for under 400 bucks on Ebay. Thats where I would start.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #18
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Yes I took it a little to the extreme..

I've seen some components from Focal that run about $500, and that's dealer/cost pricing!