Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
LA Yaris
Yaris323

Drives: 09 Sedan Yaris 06 Ford Mustang
Check out the new Scion iQ concept. In the States in 2011/2012

[B]Check out what it looks like [/B] http://www.rsportscars.com/scion/200...pictures/12609

Scion introduced its micro-subcompact concept car at the New York International Auto Show this year. The Javits Center is perhaps the ideal location to reveal a concept that is aimed at a young, urban consumer. Naturally, the biggest appeal for a micro-subcompact would be in a very urban setting. Small, maneuverable and eye-catching, the Scion iQ concept would be an ideal vehicle for a young, urban driver. Photo: Press Conference/Arrival.jpg The Scion iQ is lowered from the ceiling at the NYIAS press conference Photo: Scion iQ/Front.jpg Photo: Scion iQ/Rear.jpg Photo: Scion iQ/PassSide.jpg Photo: Scion iQ/RearQuarter.jpg The Scion iQ on display at the NYIAS

Can we really call this a Scion concept? The Toyota iQ concept was introduced at the 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show. The iQ went on sale in Japan in October 2008 and in the UK in January 2009. Now, the iQ is being touted as a Scion concept car at the 2009 NYIAS.

Scion Vice President Jack Hollis stressed that the, “Scion concept . . . is innovative and intelligent, but this 'i' in iQ stands for individuality.” He added, “Five Axis of Huntington Beach, California helped us 'Scionize' this concept with aggressive modifications.” Ultimately, though, the Scion iQ is not significantly different from its Toyota counterpart. Toyota unveiled its iQ concept with the statement that the “i” stands for, “individuality, innovation and intelligence.” Photo: Scion iQ/FrontClose.jpg The Scion iQ has an easy smile- but will it sell in the US? Photo: Scion iQ/Headlight.jpg Photo: Scion iQ/iQlogo.jpg This eye-catching color dubbed �Radioactive� changes from yellow to green depending on the angle it is viewed from.

Changes made to the Scion version appear to be mostly minor cosmetic changes. It's just a little bit longer with larger tires- 18-inches instead of the Toyota iQ's 16-inch tires. Scion has added all of the electronic gizmos that make a car a personal statement and entertainment center instead of simply a way to travel. A retractable 10-inch panel LED screen in the center of the dash provides navigational assistance as well as entertainment for driver and passengers. It will show movies while parked and retracts at the push of a button when not in use. Photo: Press Conference/LEDConsole.jpg

Still, Scion claims that it will be at least a year before they would consider putting the iQ into production in the US. Although the Toyota iQ gets 5-star crash ratings in Europe, it needs to be re-designed to meet more stringent US standards. Citing these redesigns, Mr. Hollis refused to offer a potential price for the iQ, stating that the pricing would be, “competitive.”

In the UK, the iQ starts at �9,495- roughly $14,000. Toyota has moved the iQ rather quickly from a concept vehicle in 2007 to a production vehicle by 2008. The micro-subcompact market is a relatively new market- particularly in North America. Currently, the SmartForTwo is the only vehicle sold in the US that would qualify. Photo:Press Conference/JackHollis.jpg Scion Vice President Jack Hollis

In fact, there are inevitable comparisons between the iQ and the SmartForTwo. The 2009 SmartForTwo starts at $11,990. It is just under nine feet long compared to the Toyota iQ at just under 10 feet and the Scion iQ at just over 10 feet long. The SmartForTwo has seating for two, while both versions of the iQ offer seating for ��+1,” as Toyota and Scion describe it. Interestingly enough, the SmartForTwo is built in France and the iQ was designed in France. Photo:Smart/SmartPassSide.jpg A side-by-side comparison of the SmartForTwo and the iQ reveals many similarities Photo:Press Conference/PassSide.jpg

All that aside, there is a rush to get into the micro-subcompact market. The SmartForTwo has been selling steadily in the US, typically with waiting lists for customers. The Toyota iQ moved quickly into the Japanese and European markets and industry insiders expect the iQ to be available in the US by 2011. It is, in fact, a stroke of marketing genius to package the iQ under the Scion banner for US sales. Scion- representing young, hip, urban buyers- is the perfect marketing tool for a new class of car in the US.

Scion will have to hurry, though, if it wants to be at the front of the pack. Volkswagon has already fast-tracked a micro-subcompact called the VW Chico that it intends to sell in the US beginning in 2012. That gives Scion just one year to muscle ahead of Mercedes and its SmartForTwo before Volkswagon begins competing for a share of the micro-subcompact pie. Photo:VWPassSide.jpg Volkswagon�s iconic compact car was a bizarre sight on American roads when it was introduced.

Many think that the entire micro-subcompact class of vehicles is hideous. There are any number of derisive comments that are elicited by the mere sight of either the SmartForTwo or the iQ concept. However, the rush towards building these cars represents a new shift in our thinking about cars. Those old enough to remember can think back to the 1970s when a similar shift began. When Grandma traded in her Plymouth Fury III for a Honda Civic, everyone said, &$8220That doesn�t even look like a car!” It didn�t take long before the compact Japanese imports began to replace the big American cars on Americas highways- and we all know what happened to the companies that resisted the change.

POWERTRAIN

Engine: 1.3-liter, four-cylinder, VVT-i
Horsepower: 93 hp
Torque: 89 lb.-ft.
Drivetrain: Front wheel drive
DIMENSIONS (inches)

Overall Length: 126.9
Overall Width: 71.4 without side mirrors
79.3 including side mirrors
Overall Height: 56.9 without antenna
62.5 including antenna
Wheelbase: 78.7
Seating Capacity: 3+1
MODIFICATIONS

Exhaust: Five Axis custom stainless exhaust
Wheels: Five:AD S6:F custom wheels with nickel finish prototyped by MetalFX
18x8.5 ET03
Tires: Yokohama S.drive
2.5/40R18
Suspension: TEIN Super Street coilover suspension
Body: Five Axis widebody conversion
Burnt nickel accents
Custom accented headlights and taillights

Add to this page! We are actively seeking contributions, including your comments, driving impressions, stories, history, and more. Please send them via our easy form. Thank you! (Recommend this page to a friend!)

Home | FAQ | Cars/Trucks/Minivans | Future | Forums | History | News/Rumors

Last edited by LA Yaris; 10-22-2009 at 10:50 PM.
LA Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Toyota had to add the iQ to the Scion line. Scion was and is lagging in sales. It needs a product extension to help. In addition they can charge more because it becomes a youth specialty car.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I saw this in person in NYC. Doubt the production model will be tricked out like that....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
LA Yaris
Yaris323

How much do you guys think its going to run for ?? And will it cost more then a Yaris cause its a Scion ??
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Yaris View Post
How much do you guys think its going to run for ?? And will it cost more then a Yaris cause its a Scion ??
$2,000+ over the Yaris. Yes, because it's a Scion.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #6
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
i saw one of these about 5 days ago , sitting on display for sale
at the local toyota dealership
nice looking vehicle.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
LA Yaris
Yaris323

I have a Qustion to ask all of you. Would any of you trade in your Yaris for one ???

YES or NO and Why ??
Old 10-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
advocate

Drives: car
No because it seems over the top. The wheel sizes are evidence of that.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
NO

over priced, better choice would be an XD or a yaris

I have a feeling it will lose 1/2 its resale value

it has a niche market, its harder to unload unlike a yaris or XD would be

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I'd have to build up from cute to aggressive again w/ that car....too much love is poured into my Yaris. The Yaris can hold a lot more than this car and better suits my commuting needs and social styling...

The only thing that would make me trade in my baby would be either a Subaru 2.5 RS or the FT86 ;)
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote