Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #55
Basmii

Drives: 09 yaris hb
I'll try to do the ABS diagnostic in the morning. Probably need to jack the car up and make sure there isn't any damage to the wiring that goes to the front brakes.
Basmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #56
Basmii

Ok I got four flashes plus two of the check engine light. Code 42 is speed sensor circuit/ power steering ecu if I'm reading it correctly.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #57
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Are you sure it's the check engine light? It should only be flashing the P/S light or the ABS light. Blinking check engine light usually means massive intake leak and potential damage to the catalytic converter.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #58
Basmii

Check engine for sure. It's just blinking during the test procedure, not while the car is running.Four blinks, pause, followed by two blinks. I tried to upload a video but I guess the file is too large.

Unfortunately I'm out of time to work on it right now. I have to travel for a few weeks for work. I'll try to sort it when I get back.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:44 PM   #59
Basmii

Returned and looked at it with fresh eyes. Replacing a blown 10amp fuse under the dash fixed everything👍 Drove it a good 100 miles today without issue.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #60
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basmii View Post
Returned and looked at it with fresh eyes. Replacing a blown 10amp fuse under the dash fixed everything👍 Drove it a good 100 miles today without issue.
Feels good, doesn't it!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #61
Basmii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Feels good, doesn't it!
For sure. It's amazing how much smoother an engine the 2zr is. I'm really glad I spent the extra dollars for the MWR flywheel too.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:54 PM   #62
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
For sure. It's amazing how much smoother an engine the 2zr is. I'm really glad I spent the extra dollars for the MWR flywheel too.
I noticed the difference in smoothness between the 1NZ and 2Zr as well. I bet throttle response would be improved with the aftermarket flywheel.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #63
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Awesome, glad it was an easy fix!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #64
Basmii

1 month update:

No issues after getting the early fuse problem sorted. I've driven it about 1800 miles so far and I'm averaging about 33mpg.

My initial goal for this car was to recreate the performance and feel of some of the small lightweight cars I owned in my younger days (specifically the mk1 gti I had in high school) and it is very close.

It is still not"fast" by any measure,but the 2zr revs quick and is very smooth and torquey above 3000rpm.

Some of the good things:

The MWR flywheel is worth every penny. The clutch action is a little more on/off switch in traffic but it's nothing I can't live with.

The actual swap was much easier than I expected.If you disassemble the front end most everything is accessible and the 2zr fits back in easily.

I'm expecting it to be every bit as reliable as the old motor.

The car gives off a cool "sleeper" vibe now.

And the bad stuff:

The new cat/exhaust continues to smell terrible. I was expecting that for the first couple of hundred miles but it hasn't gone away yet.

It is way loud! I ended up welding on an old school Supertrapp end cap to quiet it down but that isn't a permanent solution.

I decided to replace a bunch of other stuff (axles,control arms, brakes) at the same time and ended up spending alot more money than I initially intended.

I'm not entirely sure if the 2zr sits lower in the engine bay, but my oil pan seems very vulnerable. It's easily the lowest point on the car. I have plans to fab up a protective skid plate out of some hdpe cutting board material but that will have to wait till spring. Hopefully I don't run over anything in the interim.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:39 AM   #65
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Awesome to hear. With regard to the flywheel - do you notice any rev hang? I have a factory flywheel on my 2zr and it's horrible. So much worse than the 1nz and particularly in 1st gear which is quite short in my setup
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #66
Basmii

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
Awesome to hear. With regard to the flywheel - do you notice any rev hang? I have a factory flywheel on my 2zr and it's horrible. So much worse than the 1nz and particularly in 1st gear which is quite short in my setup
That is still there unfortunately. Can't say if the flywheel improves it without driving them back to back.