Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #1
daewoo01
2NZ Echo kids comp hack

Drives: 2003 Toyota Echo comp hack
2ZZ Swap. Why? Why Not?

The 2ZR Swap, is obviously very popular, but it is really even a swap, or just bringing these cars up to the Spec of what they were sold with in Europe and Japan, and should have been sold with everywhere?

The 2ZZ Engine seems a much better 'swap', as it starts with 189Hp/141kW compared with the 2ZR engines 138Hp/103kW it starts with an extra 50Hp/40kW.

I understand that it's a much more difficult swap, and requires modification of the chassis, but why isn't this swap more popular?

Did it become more popular, but just isn't publicised as much?

The 1ZZ Engine is more common, but has similar power to the 2ZR, which I guess explains why it isn't a more common swap.
daewoo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:38 AM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
It's not just the mounting points that would need to be sorted out, you also need to address the electronics. The 2ZR is a relatively straight forward swap in this regard - the ECUs are of the same generation and for the most part will work with the other computers in the Yaris. If you tried swapping in a 2zz, you'd likely have no functioning dash, abs, traction, AC fan control etc. It'd be ok if you were building a race car, but wouldn't work for the road unless you were leaving the 1nz ecu in place and running a standalone ecu in parallel.

You also have to keep in mind that while the 2zz makes 141kw, it does so by making most of that extra power above 7000rpm. While that's cool and all, how often are you revving it out that far. In addition, the 2zz makes peak torque of 180nm at 6800 rpm while the 2zr makes peak torque of 173nm at 4000rpm (2016+ 2zr). I'd actually speculate that the 2zr would be a better every day motor around town.

Don't get me wrong, the 2zz is a cool motor and sounds amazing above 7000rpm, but just not financially feasible or necessary for a Yaris. You get more bang for your buck out of a 2zr.

Oh and good luck finding a 2zz without 200,000+km on it these days :(

Last edited by stidnam; 10-28-2020 at 05:28 PM.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
^This.

For a daily driver, the 2ZR swap is hands down the most reliable way to add horsepower. It's bolt-on, requires zero fabrication skills, and gives you a rock-solid OEM motor that will last well into 200K miles if taken care of properly. The Blitz supercharger was lots of fun but had too many headaches for me. A turbo would have similar high-maintenance issues as demonstrated by many of the aftermarket builds showcased here.

That said, the 2ZZ is an awesome option for a dedicated race application. I'm seriously considering it for Project 2ZR Vios after I've got a few seasons under my belt and want to step up the competitiveness of the platform.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote