Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #37
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I know...they ruined it!
...I have kind of mixed feelings about that. I like not having to step over down and out people 'stopped'* (*) on stairs in the subway, but I don't really like how (for example) Times Square has become sort of a strange combination of the movie The Truman Show and a military installation .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #38
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I have another "Camden Story" for you!

I had a friend at work named John. One day I noticed scars on his neck. I had just had a laminectomy which is a repair of a ruptured disk that is performed from behind. Some operations for the problem (called fusions) are done from the front. I asked him

"John did you have a fusion operation done on your neck?"

(oh I forgot to mention John grew up in Camden)

He said

"No. One night when I was a teenager I was walking home. Four black guys jumped me before I got there. (um...he did not use the words "black guys" he used something else which is unprintable)They thought I was somebody else they had a problem with. Three of them held me down while the fourth cut my throat. The left me for dead but I managed to get to my house and was taken to Lday of Lourdes where they sewed me up. They missed the juguler."

I shit you not!
I believe you. My dad had a much less severe incident happen to him. He was jumped from behind by two "black guys" (to use the phrasing from your post) in San Francisco on a sidewalk. He carried them on his back for most of the block (trying to shake them off...no joke - a female witness on the other side of the street confirmed this) before they got him down and got his wallet. He had a severely sprained ankle, one of the worst the treating physician said he had ever seen. Unfortunately, my dad used the same language your friend likely did. Fortunately, I take cues related to this from the women in my family, and not my dad and some of the other men in my family.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #39
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Yes its no good getting into confrontations with each other over things. It just continues the unpleasentness which none of us needs!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #40
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Yes its no good getting into confrontations with each other over things. It just continues the unpleasentness which none of us needs!
....and unnecessarily shortens one's life (not at that moment, but later issues related to stress...not me personally...but I have observed such).
Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #41
DefStarYaris

Drives: '08 Liftback and Mountain Bike
Send a message via AIM to DefStarYaris
I moved from Fresno, CA to Boston, MA a few years ago. The Yaris got me there like a champ.

You'll do fine in the snow as long as you've got some tread on your tires, but snow tires are definitely good to have when you get stuck out in a blizzard.