Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
D.A.L

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE
New Yaris owner/vibrations

Hey all. Has anybody noticed a 'harmonic vibration' when driving around 100kph. It is fairly faint. It's a vibration that comes and goes at about 2 sec intervals. Something like - mmmmm......mmmmm.....mmmmm.......etc.(radio off, smooth road) I can feel it very slightly on the steering wheel but definitely with my left foot on the floor and I can also hear it.
I am going to bring it back to the dealer, as my car is only two weeks old but I thought I'd ask if anyone one else had noticed this.
Don.
D.A.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
kralmrax

Drives: 06 yaris rs
i haven't really noticed much of a "humming" while on the highway, but i do notice a rattle in the front end when my yaris is in reverse, it's driving me nuts. i notice a bit of a rattle sometimes coming from the back interior when driving at high speeds. does anyone else have these problems?
kralmrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Polar_Yaris

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5 dr LE Auto
Yo D.A.L , i 've the same problem, just dropped off the car at service, the tech said that does not sound normal, he is going to call Toyota Canada to see if their is something about that issue....you should voice your complaint.

I posted this on the other thread
"Rattles are not as annoying as my car, hums at speed 90km/h and up.....I will get the dealer to look at it tomorrow......

And the engine bay has some rattling noise when I have the brakes press and it's in reverse ....auto tranny"

Man, I thought I was the only one getting a lemon....
Polar_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Polar_Yaris

You guys can check out the "technicial Talk" section, we have a similar issue there........
Old 04-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Polar_Yaris

I called up Toyota Canada the other day, and told them about the humming noise I've with my car driving at speed 90km/h and up. The CSR told me to go back to the service and talk to the Manager. Which i did today, and the manager did look into the issue for me, Well, he said it looks like there is something to do with the automatic transmission. They 've to open up the tranny and do some work to it to see if the problem will go away. Well, I've scheduled for next week to have them fix that. He said I will be a 5 hours job........we will see what the result is, I will update you guys!!!!!!!Hopefully they can have that fix!!!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
You are absolutely sure it is not a harmonic vibration related to the dynamic imbalance of 4 Cyl. engines. This will sometimes set off sympathetic vibes, in the exhaust or bodywork. I have not encountered anything out of the ordinary in my 5-speed, but have very limited km's.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
yeah guys, read thru tech page, we had similar problems before. Actually, the last time when I brought it back to the dealer due to the humming noise, they said somethin' about they have to re-tape somethin' behind my dash. Not sure what it is.....
Old 04-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i haven't had any problems with my 5 spd either, i wonder if this is something that is happening with autos only?
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
shtanna

Drives: 2007, 5 Door Le, Auto
Hi there,

I've been viewing this forum for the past month. I just received my Yaris on Saturday. All the advice/info from all of you have made me confident in my decision; however, I do have a vibrating sound coming from the dash when I put the car in reverse and have the break pressed down. I popped my hood and had my wife sit in the car so I could check. When she moved from Park to reverse, I could see a lot of the components vibrate more. I don't know if it's normal, but I'll visit the dealer later today. The vibration disappears as soon as we step on the gas though. (while in reverse)

When driving on the highway, there is no vibration, but I can definitely hear the engine, but it's not too loud. (about 100km/hr).

Otherwise the car is great, and I've got 440Km on my first tank with 2 bars remaining.
shtanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtanna
Hi there,

I've been viewing this forum for the past month. I just received my Yaris on Saturday. All the advice/info from all of you have made me confident in my decision; however, I do have a vibrating sound coming from the dash when I put the car in reverse and have the break pressed down. I popped my hood and had my wife sit in the car so I could check. When she moved from Park to reverse, I could see a lot of the components vibrate more. I don't know if it's normal, but I'll visit the dealer later today. The vibration disappears as soon as we step on the gas though. (while in reverse)
With regards to this noise, you can bring the car back to the dealer and have them fix it. Basically they have to install an insulation somewhere under the hood. Just talk to the technician about what happened and they'll be able to fix it. As from my technician, there is a service bulletin out for this issue as well. Good luck!
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
Polar_Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
You are absolutely sure it is not a harmonic vibration related to the dynamic imbalance of 4 Cyl. engines. This will sometimes set off sympathetic vibes, in the exhaust or bodywork. I have not encountered anything out of the ordinary in my 5-speed, but have very limited km's.
Ricko, I am not 100% sure, however I have own quite a few 4 Cyl cars and none of them have that kind of problem. Well, I think most of my problems are related to the Automatic Tranny. I have not hear anyone complaint about their 5-speed Yaris. I picked auto because i am getting lazy......
Old 04-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #12
Polar_Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL
With regards to this noise, you can bring the car back to the dealer and have them fix it. Basically they have to install an insulation somewhere under the hood. Just talk to the technician about what happened and they'll be able to fix it. As from my technician, there is a service bulletin out for this issue as well. Good luck!

GabL is right. Bring it back, they should know now on how to have that problem fix. Mine had the same problem and got fixed.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #13
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Pretty sure I'm hearing this noise as well, my Yaris is a manual Liftback.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #14
shtanna

Ok, well, if it's normal, then I'll accept it. I called the dealership, so I'd have to bring the car in. It's a new car, so I need to be picky, I don't know what is/isn't normal. I hope it's a quick fix. What did they do Polar?
Old 04-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
Schmingie

Drives: 06 Yaris LE 5dr
I have a 5 spd Le 5 door and mine has this noise also. The dealer suspects that it may be a wheel bearing, but the problem is hard to diagnose.

Lets keep this threat going with any info anyone may have or gather over time.

S.
Schmingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #16
Polar_Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtanna
Ok, well, if it's normal, then I'll accept it. I called the dealership, so I'd have to bring the car in. It's a new car, so I need to be picky, I don't know what is/isn't normal. I hope it's a quick fix. What did they do Polar?
Shtanna

This was what I wrote on the other thread
"
Okay guys, just came back from service. Rattling noise is from "poor fit of a/t cable bracket at firewall" Fixed by "insulated bracket with silencer kit"....well one thing fixed.
The humming at hwy speed...the technician said it might be the resonance from the engine and the exhaust system, however, there was not much he can do now unless there are more ppl making the complaint and toyota will issue a service recall or something.......

WELL I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD GET THEIR YARIS ON HWY SPEED TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #17
Polar_Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmingie
I have a 5 spd Le 5 door and mine has this noise also. The dealer suspects that it may be a wheel bearing, but the problem is hard to diagnose.

Lets keep this threat going with any info anyone may have or gather over time.

S.
Schmingie, are you talking about the humming noise at HWY speed?
Well, the service manager suspect there is an issue with the tranny...I'm taking it in and have them open up the tranny....
Old 04-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #18
shtanna

Ok, I'll quote what you stated above...'Rattling noise is from "poor fit of a/t cable bracket at firewall" Fixed by "insulated bracket with silencer kit"......as when I called they stated they are unfamiliar with the 2007 Yaris. I will drop it off Monday at 1pm. In the meantime, I'll keep an ear out while driving on the hwy. So far I've never gone above 110km/hr. I do hear engine noise whether I drive city/hwy, but I assume that is normal? It's very quiet when idling. Please explain the humming noise in a bit more detail, I'll compare it to my car when I go out tonight.............