Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
What is this thing under the drivers seat for?

Found this thing while cleaning today. Not quite sure what it is for but it looks like some kind of holder. Pictures attached!
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
You're supposed to have a jack under there. Looks like someone ganked yours and left you with the cover.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
You're supposed to have a jack under there. Looks like someone ganked yours and left you with the cover.
My jack is in a compartment in the trunk. Whats supposed to be in the compartment in the trunk now?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I'm not familiar with the LB's hatch area, but in my trunk (sedan) the spare tire is in a compartment under the mat.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Yeah, that is where the jack is supposed to be stashed. Stupidest place ever. Nothing easier than storing it in the side bin cubbies in the hatch.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
I'm not familiar with the LB's hatch area, but in my trunk (sedan) the spare tire is in a compartment under the mat.
I've got two cubbies in the back. The jack fits perfectly in one. Now I've got lots of room for extra supplies since I've moved the jack to its proper place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Yeah, that is where the jack is supposed to be stashed. Stupidest place ever. Nothing easier than storing it in the side bin cubbies in the hatch.
I never stop discovering new stuff in my car. lol.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Found this thing while cleaning today. Not quite sure what it is for but it looks like some kind of holder. Pictures attached!
It's the change holder and looks like its full since fifteen cents has overflowed onto the floor...

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
It's the change holder and looks like its full since fifteen cents has overflowed onto the floor...
Perhaps this response belongs in the Yaris Secrets section!
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
Kickyaris09

Drives: 09 yaris blazin blue
when I first got my yaris the previous owner used it to hide is weed and a few glass pipes...he forgot he hid them there cuz I found them lol.
Kickyaris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
The change holder is beside the drivers seat and the door. Duh. I've probably got $15 in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickyaris09 View Post
when I first got my yaris the previous owner used it to hide is weed and a few glass pipes...he forgot he hid them there cuz I found them lol.
The spot under the power window switch would probably be a way better spot. It's pretty huge in there.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
The change holder is beside the drivers seat and the door. Duh. I've probably got $15 in there.
In my 3 door, the change holder is in the driver side top glove box.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickyaris09 View Post

And good to see another Washingtonian on here! We need more members from our state.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
It looks like the bins under the rear deck are optional, since there's a latching point for the "locks" about 4" down from the ones level with the bin tops. That would mean that some models don't get a spare bin for the jack. Not sure where the tire iron and jack handle would go then... It could also be a safety thing: in a rollover or particularly energetic crash, any items not securely fastened become projectiles.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Stupidest place ever. Nothing easier than storing it in the side bin cubbies in the hatch.
That's a little harsh. Unless you have a concealed weapon permit, the space under the seat is wasted or gets cluttered with trash so sticking the jack under the seat frees up the space in the bin. Although, it is a small PITA to get to... Toyota should have gone one step further and figured out how to stow the jack handle under the seat as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
It looks like the bins under the rear deck are optional, since there's a latching point for the "locks" about 4" down from the ones level with the bin tops. That would mean that some models don't get a spare bin for the jack. Not sure where the tire iron and jack handle would go then... It could also be a safety thing: in a rollover or particularly energetic crash, any items not securely fastened become projectiles.
I don't think the bins can be optional because they are what hold up the deck floor panel.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
jayeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
I don't think the bins can be optional because they are what hold up the deck floor panel.
I was excited when I read that and then I went out to my car and made the same discovery. No sweet extra storage for me.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
I agree that the deck hinges on the bins, but there is a second set of latch points below the upper set. There would have to be a different hinge point, and the spare wouldn't fit, so I'm not sure why they added them.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
libraryelf

Drives: 2008 Yaris white
My jack is under my driver side seat. That is why the seat is up high and for someone who is 5 even, that is exactly what I wanted when I bought my car back in 08. I have 3dr Hatchback. I took my car in to have it service at a new dealer ship a town over and I looked at the new and some older cars, I really didn't like any of them. They moved the speed and gas and all the light things back to behind the wheel. I like that in my car they are in the center in the dash board. I guess they did that space for the bells and whistles that are needed these days. I like my car better, I haven't did much to it other than keep the oil changed, tires bought, new battery and wipers and keep the rainx in the wiper water place. Yarrie now has 39,000 miles on her, she had 180 when I bought her.
libraryelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
My jack is under the seat, too.
Seems my car is a special cheapo model (I've seen a lot of this type recently):
-Red (not that this is a matter of cost, but they were all of this same color)
-No fog lights
-No storage boxes in the luggage compartment, the thin board lies directly on the spare wheel
-No speakers in the rear doors
edit:
-no VSC (ABS, however I believe this is mandatory here)
-uncolored door handles and side mirrors

Last edited by dj92; 10-29-2013 at 11:05 AM.
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote