Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
August 2010 Yaris Sales: Down

August was not a good month for most cars, including subcompacts. The Yaris was down 31.7% from this time last year, which actually isn't bad compared to some other small cars. Then again, the Yaris wasn't a hot seller during Cash for Clunkers. If there's no bubble, there's no burst, right?

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...act-sales.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Dorkinheimer

Drives: Yaris 2007 *manual*
More and more I notice Korean cars on the road. Of course this doesn't help Toyota.
Dorkinheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Love these monthly updates Thirty-Nine! Kia Soul up 100% - wow! Probably because of that commercial... you know which one, lol.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Love these monthly updates Thirty-Nine! Kia Soul up 100% - wow! Probably because of that commercial... you know which one, lol.

That is the only good thing about the Soul in my opinion was the commercial. I have someone that I work with that bought one 2 months ago and it has been in the shop 3 times now. He bought it in New Brunswick and has to go there because the next closest dealership is 200 miles one way in Bangor. Three times in the first 2 months is no good in IMHO.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I enjoy my Yaris but if I could have a pick from the cars released right now compared to back when I purchased it, I probably wouldn't have a Yaris right now. Nothing against it because I think it's amazing first new car but the competition is tough. The Mazda 2 is amazingly fun to drive from what I hear and it comes with a functional tach, along with other nice touches. And even the cheap $9,000 Hyundai accent comes with a B and M brand shifter which although I'm sure isn't Honda s2000 quality shifting, it's probably noticeably better than the costlier manual Yaris.

In my opinion, Toyota just needs to up their game a bit more. Enough of the vanilla, a to b type of cars they've been making. Need to quick slacking and bring back cars for everyone. That includes the vanilla cars for regular folks along with sports cars for those who like life in the fast lane. When they axed the Celica and mr2 spyder, that was the nail in the performance coffin for Toyota. Such a shame.

I mean come on, even Kia can make a sporty car (Kia Forte Koup) for petes sake!
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Dorkinheimer

Drives: Yaris 2007 *manual*
Toyota is making their cars cheaper to compete with Korean cars, but that's not the right thing to do. They should try to make cars as good or better than Hondas. Look up toyota, not down.
Dorkinheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
That is the only good thing about the Soul in my opinion was the commercial. I have someone that I work with that bought one 2 months ago and it has been in the shop 3 times now. He bought it in New Brunswick and has to go there because the next closest dealership is 200 miles one way in Bangor. Three times in the first 2 months is no good in IMHO.
A few years ago, I worked at the KIA dealership in Saint John, NB for a month or so (while I was in between jobs). They had a service schedule set up behind the service desk up on the wall. Most of their cars needed service every 3 months or 6000 km, which completely shocked me, because every service was AT LEAST $40, if not more.

-Matt
Old 09-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkinheimer View Post
Toyota is making their cars cheaper to compete with Korean cars, but that's not the right thing to do. They should try to make cars as good or better than Hondas. Look up toyota, not down.
Um, Toyotas are so much better than crappy hondums it is not even funny. Vehicle to vehicle honda can't touch toyota, and the sales prove it. Hondas have always been absurdly overrated, with the only really good one the old school civic, you know until honda chose to make it a crappy car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I enjoy my Yaris but if I could have a pick from the cars released right now compared to back when I purchased it, I probably wouldn't have a Yaris right now. Nothing against it because I think it's amazing first new car but the competition is tough. The Mazda 2 is amazingly fun to drive from what I hear and it comes with a functional tach, along with other nice touches. And even the cheap $9,000 Hyundai accent comes with a B and M brand shifter which although I'm sure isn't Honda s2000 quality shifting, it's probably noticeably better than the costlier manual Yaris.

In my opinion, Toyota just needs to up their game a bit more. Enough of the vanilla, a to b type of cars they've been making. Need to quick slacking and bring back cars for everyone. That includes the vanilla cars for regular folks along with sports cars for those who like life in the fast lane. When they axed the Celica and mr2 spyder, that was the nail in the performance coffin for Toyota. Such a shame.

I mean come on, even Kia can make a sporty car (Kia Forte Koup) for petes sake!
Oh wow, so Kia makes a car to compete with the Solara, good for them.

But I do agree that Toyota has lost the sporty side, of course Toyota seems to finally realize that too. We will see how long the FT86 takes to come out, but what toyota could really use is to simply add a low pressure turbo and a good awd system to all their cars, like they use to do in the early 80's.

All Trac Turbo. Just awesome stuff.

However I would still absolutely keep my Yaris. For what it is you cannot beat it, and no non hybrid can match its gas mileage yet. We'll see how good the Fiesta ends up being.