Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #19
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Bottoming out like I have been is obviously not a problem for most people. And no I am not grossly overweight. But I think you're missing the point. As I said, we can all cut our bump stops but once we do, their original properties are lost. I am not planning to add just any old bump stop back into the mix. I want to find a bump stop that will work specifically for lowered Yarii. We have to make sure the stop isn't too long or too short. It's going to sit where the old stops sat i.e., in the shock hat. Rears will probably not be necessary but might be a good idea if you're running the Tanabes or the Teins since those springs do drop the rear even more than other setups. It's going to be at least two weeks before everything is figured out and I install. I'm hoping for improved cornering by eliminating the "hop" that I experience now. I also want the bottoming to stop.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #20
rwseattle
Rwseattle

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris (BASE)
Lightbulb Spring, bump.

I recently installed the Tanabe NF210. Wheel and tire set up 16" 205/45/16. I've not yet experienced any problem with the bump stop. I did cut the bump stop about 1.0. in the front because the Tanabe NF210 drops the car 1.0 in the front. The back drop is 1.3 but no bump stop needed. I defiantly would be interested in after market bump stops, but only if its really necessary. Please keep me posted on this subject? It's interesting!
rwseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
I guess I wont cut mine :/

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #22
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
i cut mine because i will change everything anyway when it will be break .. so maybe can save 1-2 year but if you have good road you wont hit the bumpstop too often...
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #23
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenjar View Post
I guess I wont cut mine :/

-- Blen
you might consider it, otherwise adios front struts.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #24
Blenjar

even with the sportivo?
I'll consult with my toyota dealer part guy...hes the one who gave me ideas about his TRD upgrades and son's xA TRD upgrade. I'll ask him about the bump stop.

-- Blen
Old 04-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #25

Drives: 07 yaris
when i had my set up(df210-trd struts)installed they had forgot to cut the bumpstops. when the car was set down the front was still at stock hieght, which i could tell that the strut was sitting only on the bumpstop. i had to drive for a week like this, the ride was harsh up front and the car wanted to skip around in turns if pushed at all. after the bumpstops were cut the front end dropped into its travel and the ride was night and day better. now the car does not bottom out every where like before.

when running springs you will always shorten the life span of the struts.
another note is that the trd shocks were designed to work in conjunction with the trd lowering springs, and with that combo you should not lose hardly any of your total suspension travel.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #26
Blenjar

How much were your shocks?
and where did you buy them?

-- Blen
Old 04-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #27
Galavoxx

I have to agree, you either need to cut the bump stops or get some aftermarket items. I was actually going to start another thread on this because I just installed aftermarket bump stops and spacers last weekend but...

As I mentioned earlier in this post, I cut off too much of the bump stop and was bottoming out at least once a week. After installing the aftermarket bump stops, the difference really is night and day. On Sunday, I Got my alignment done with a little negative camber thrown in and I actually went out looking for a way to bottom the suspension. I drove highway 1 south from San Francisco and turned up through Bonny Doon Rd to Felton to Boulder Creek to Skyline and back to SF.

The drive was great but the best part is that, there is no more *THUD* when bottoming the suspension. In one section of my drive there was a good half-hour of tight fast turns. Even in turns with the suspension compressed and riding on the bump stops while hitting a pothole or bump, the car stayed settled. All I can say is, it's amazing how much difference these damn bump stops make!

Anyway, I would recommend these as opposed to cutting.

However, if you must cut, you should leave enough bump stop to do the job it is intended to do. The aftermarket items I got are a hair over 2 inches long including spacers (52mm).

I actually did my front and rear bump stops but you should really only need the fronts. If you do the rear, you'll have to pop the stock hard black rubber stops out with a screwdriver and possibly cut the dust boot.

Here is a link to the site where I bought mine:

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCMstops.htm

The guys name is Shaikh and he autocrosses Miatas. They are about the same weight and hp as the Yaris. He is planning on making a Yaris page if enough people want these. But for now just tell him Randy sent you.

The Yaris setup:

Front: (2) 47mm strut-style bump stops $24
(4) 9mm delrin spacers, drilled to 21mm $20

Rear: (2) 40mm non-strut (shock) style bump stops $24

extras: $5 each for 3mm slotted spacers, drilled to 16mm, used to tune over/understeer on rear of car. I didn't try this yet but may do so in the future. The car already handles great with maybe a little too much understeer. But this is a front wheel drive car.

Also, I have a spare set of front bump stops with spacers for sale if anyone wants them. I had them installed on the rear of the car for about two days but the inside diameter was too big and they were flopping around so I swapped them out for a smaller I.D. $25 shipped.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #28
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
My DIY showed STOCK struts being used with the Tanabe DF's. If you have the TRD's they are SHORTER then the stock struts, so of course if you removed the same amount off the bump stop, it would be bottoming out.

I guess I should note this for others installing different struts while following my DIY.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #29
Galavoxx

I am using the springtechs with about 2" of drop. So I took off 2 inches of bump stop.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #30
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Whats the spring rate of those SpringTech's up front? Softer then DF's?
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #31
Galavoxx

You know, I'm not even sure. I had the numbers at some point but I looked for them a few weeks back and couldn't find the e.mail. Base on feel alone, they are sort of like goldishox: not too hard and not too soft, juuust about right!! haha. Actually, they could be a tad more stiff, just a tad.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #32
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 View Post
when i had my set up(df210-trd struts)installed they had forgot to cut the bumpstops. when the car was set down the front was still at stock hieght, which i could tell that the strut was sitting only on the bumpstop. i had to drive for a week like this, the ride was harsh up front and the car wanted to skip around in turns if pushed at all. after the bumpstops were cut the front end dropped into its travel and the ride was night and day better. now the car does not bottom out every where like before.

when running springs you will always shorten the life span of the struts.
another note is that the trd shocks were designed to work in conjunction with the trd lowering springs, and with that combo you should not lose hardly any of your total suspension travel.
I used shitbrand springs. I did not cut my bumpstops and the set up is only temorary. The front is 2 inches lower without cutting the bumpstops.

You are saying not cutting the bumpstops with the DF and the TRD Shocks installed that your car was not lower than stock? Huh?

I am planning to use the same set up as you since there are no shock options except for the TRD but I am not yet commited to the idea of butchering the bump stops.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #33
Blenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Whats the spring rate of those SpringTech's up front? Softer then DF's?
Hey, if I use the TRD sportivo with the stock shocks/strut...what do you recommend?

-- Blen
Old 04-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #34
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Hey, if I use the TRD sportivo with the stock shocks/strut...what do you recommend?

-- Blen
Toyota isn't going to chop the stops nor are they going to tell you to do that.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #35
Galavoxx

Quote:

-- Blen
Don't do this!! Save your money and get a full setup. You're going to be bouncing and rolling like your Yaris has tourette's.

And I agree, Toyota isn't going to tell you to cut anything. And quite possibly, you don't need to if you use their setup. The TRD springs have a very high spring rate so you may never bottom out.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #36
Blenjar

damn...not sure now....cut or no cut..g.rrr n I dont wanna pay 85 bux an hr for that....
I got the TRD spark red spring...
any1 got them? bump stop cut off?!?!

-- Blen