Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #1
bairjo

Really Autozone?

I'm done with the Autozone experiment.
So I have been a loyal customer for years...to a degree.. and have started using gift cards for my purchases so I can benefit from the fuel perks at Giant Eagle. Not a bad idea...can't lose doing that.... Wrong.
As you may all know you are rewarded points at Autozone based on the money you spend there and eventually are entitled to $20 toward your future purchases....within a small time frame.

However, I was concerned as I was sure I was at that threshold of the $20 discount and was always told ...no not yet.

It turns out if you make a purchase using gift cards you do not get credit towards that $20 discount. Of course I questioned that policy and the clerk mumble something about calling the number on my card to try to see what can be done. I said no thanks....I'll not be back so it will no longer be a problem.
Your thoughts anyone?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I've heard of similar gift card policies at other retailers. So, I'm not surprised at all. However, it does suck!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
This is fairly common with Giant Eagle gift cards. Best Buy does the same thing. No credit earned toward your rewards if you use a gift card.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
bairjo

Welp...I guess I'll get whatever I can from amazon from now on if these establishments want to play that game. .....

Last edited by bairjo; 01-12-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
hachi-roku_fan

Drives: 1986 Toyota Corolla
You mad because they caught on to a scheme? They are in the business of increasing new money coming in. Gift cards (because they are already designated for the store) are considered old money. To increase new money, they offer incentives for that. Makes sense to me.
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Cash money! The gift card you can spend anywhere!
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
You mad because they caught on to a scheme? They are in the business of increasing new money coming in. Gift cards (because they are already designated for the store) are considered old money. To increase new money, they offer incentives for that. Makes sense to me.
So...I give Giant Eagle money for a card to use at Autozone. I don't use it for 2 months, who has the money their account watching it grow?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
hachi-roku_fan

Money in their account watching it grow? Lol people STILL think that these companies are gaining interest on money. It's not like the golden days where Bob would walk down to the local bank and make deposits into their account. Those days are gone, and gone a very long time ago. It's all about increasing revenues, and there is a distinct difference between old money (gift cards in your case) and new money.

This also works with most banks. Why do you think they offer incentives to bring over your 401k from another financial institution? It's considered new money, which increases the numbers on the books.

You can't expect a business not to catch on to a scheme and put an end to it. What do they benefit from giving you those points by using a gift card? Nothing. So, what do they give you in return? Nothing.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
...people STILL think that these companies are gaining interest on money.
Of course they gain interest on that money! Haven't you noticed that, in many places payments are always instant while refunds tend to take 3-5 business days, or sometimes even longer?

Quote:
...there is a distinct difference between old money...and new money.
What are you talking about? Money is money! Whether you spend it today or tomorrow, you'll still eventually have negative X amount.

What I'm seeing from all this, is that they're giving preferential treatment to the customers that don't pay using gift-cards. How is this fair? Is my $20 gift card worth less than someone who's paying with an actual $20 bill?

Quote:
What do they benefit from giving you those points by using a gift card? Nothing.
No! What they gain is a returning customer! That's the whole point of the points program. Reward frequent shoppers! Give them a reason to return to the store.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
hachi-roku_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Of course they gain interest on that money! Haven't you noticed that, in many places payments are always instant while refunds tend to take 3-5 business days, or sometimes even longer?

What are you talking about? Money is money! Whether you spend it today or tomorrow, you'll still eventually have negative X amount.

What I'm seeing from all this, is that they're giving preferential treatment to the customers that don't pay using gift-cards. How is this fair? Is my $20 gift card worth less than someone who's paying with an actual $20 bill?

No! What they gain is a returning customer! That's the whole point of the points program. Reward frequent shoppers! Give them a reason to return to the store.

Processing returns has nothing to do with "gaining interest". It's more about verifying and getting the authorization to return the funds back.

"Money is money" that only works for people like you and I. For corporations, increasing certain figures is what matters. Revenue brought in by gift cards is probably on a lower priority than other payments, like cash and credit cards. A good example of this is how financial reports are generated. Most banks place a great deal of importance on new money or money coming in from different banks. Why? This indicator means they are taking customers away from the competition. Same can apply here; buying an autozone gift card is basically old money. That card and its revenue has already been put into autozone when you bought the card. I'll stop here with this since it's getting no where lol

You're gaining the rewards at the gas station, why should it double up at autozone?