Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2022, 04:46 AM   #1
CaiVitz

Drives: Toyota Vitz RS
Unknown oil leak under manifold - need advice

Hello everyone,

I recently found a slow oil leak coming from under the manifold building up in the corner on my 2011 Toyota Vitz RS. Unsure if its the cover on the side or the main cylinder head seal that is leaking. Car drives very normal and the oil level hasn't not moved at all. Any help would be much appreciated !

IMG_0892.jpg
CaiVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
Cletus Garfunkle
Average KKT User

Drives: 2001 Echo
This looks like a 1nz-fe so just from what I see it looks like its leaking from the timing cover there are oil returns to the pan on that side which are sealed via the head gasket Shown in blue (pic #1) but from what I see it doesn't seem like that is the problem. Looks like it is leaking from the timing cover right where the head sits on the block shown in red (pic #2 and #3). If anyone else would like to add there .02 please do!

PIC #1 PIC #2 PIC #3
Cletus Garfunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If it doesn’t affect the oil level why worry about it? How much would it cost to fix? $$$?

Just my two cents!
Old 09-20-2022, 02:58 PM   #4
CaiVitz

Drives: Toyota Vitz RS
Thanks for the information! I would guess going off this the timing cover seal is failing in that area?

Yes the oil level seems normal but still it is concerning to see a oil leak coming from this area of the engine bronsin
CaiVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
There are several threads going back well over a decade of what I believe to be either similar if not the same oil weeping issue. After lots of discussion and debates, nobody had ever bothered to address it. It's just not a leak of magnitude to warrant tearing things down.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
There are several threads going back well over a decade of what I believe to be either similar if not the same oil weeping issue. After lots of discussion and debates, nobody had ever bothered to address it. It's just not a leak of magnitude to warrant tearing things down.
I think you’re getting good advice here! If you want put a piece of cardboard under the engine where the leak is and examine it from time to time. I don’t think you’ll find anything worth spending money on.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:56 PM   #7
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
dude, just clean it off with brake cleaner and call it a day, unless you want to spend an entire day tearing apart the whole front of the engine to address a tiny seepage. i guarntee you would not see that again for a long time if you just clean off with brake clean and move on
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote