Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #37
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Sedan variant was not available when I purchased my Yaris back in Oct 2006, but its pending arrival had no factor in my decision. I'd pick the 5dr hatchback again if I was buying today.

Price b/w the 2 styles, comparably equipped, is about the same. Thus it comes down to utility and preference.

As it already has been pointed out, the hatchback is more flexible in allowing tall & bulky cargo to be loaded. E.g. I've carried a large tube TV, and another time a treadmill, both boxed, straight from the store.

This would not have been possible even in a 1 or 2 sized-up sedan. Even the carry out kids laughed

The sedan does offer greater simultaneous passenger + cargo capacity, but I don't have a need for that. Thus, I prefer having the compact size of the HB, multitasking the rear seat area to carry extra passengers or cargo (piece of cake w/rear doors), as the need arises. Having rear doors makes alot more sense for me.

If cirumstances change in the future and the sedan fits my usage much better, I'd have no aversion to switching to that.

I'll go on record as saying that I actually like the look of the sedan Yaris. IMHO, it's but marginally less cool and funky than the HB. Easily the most modern and stylish of the current (small) array of subcompact sedans
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:36 AM   #38
mutatio

Drives: Flint Mica AT Sedan
I would very likely go for the 5DR hatchback if it were available in the US. I think the sedan is very sharp, particularly in its class. Everything else I've seen as a sedan from the other automakers just looks like crap in the economy class IMO. I'm going for the sedan because of the ease of access for all passengers and future endeavors (read: having a family). The 3DR hatch is one of the only HBs I've seen where I've really enjoyed the design. everything else has inspired a, "Well, I suppose if you really needed one..." When I found out about the 5DR in Canada I had some pangs of jealousy. It would be ideal for the reasons I mentioned the sedan and would also give us a bit of an MUV (mini utility vehicle). ;) Even so, I'm very happy with the prospect of the sedan in our near future. Maybe down the line when we need another new vehicle we'll be checking out the Auris! :D I hope it comes to the US!
mutatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 AM   #39
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
I'll go on record as saying that I actually like the look of the sedan Yaris. IMHO, it's but marginally less cool and funky than the HB. Easily the most modern and stylish of the current (small) array of subcompact sedans
I agree, the sedan has a kinda cheeky, mischievous look to it from the front

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #40
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
reading all of these posts really makes me miss my civic hatchback. i made the unnatural jump of going from a civic hatch to a sienna van, skipping sedans and station wagons altogether (amazing what having a child can do to ya..). with regards to the hatch vs sedan question, it shouldnt really matter since you're getting a great car no matter the choice. it really does boil down to personal preference in the looks category. we absolutely love hatchbacks. we hope to pass down this love to our kids, so when they've all reached driving age, we envision nothing but hatchbacks in our garage and driveway, with the exception of our sienna. i was very reluctant at first, but after having the driven the sienna for 3 months now, i absolutely love that vehicle as well (has every creature comfort we could ever need!). my wife now wants to implement some of our van's features into her ordered yaris liftback (nav system, heated seats, electrochromic mirror, etc). damn toyota for making such great vehicles...

--B
Old 12-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #41
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
I got my Yaris sedan this Oct. I would definitely go for a 5rd HB if they were available in the US. The reason I go for a sedan is that 5dr will be more convenient when I hung out with friends. After reading you guys' posts, I begin to hate my sedan because the HB looks nicer than my sedan.... ...
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:09 PM   #42
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
I got the LB over the sedan because the LB doesn't look like everlything else on the road.Have had it sense 10-27-06 and only seen one other on the road and that was just last week love the car
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #43
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Liftbacks=Vitz :)
Sedan=Belta :(

Belta/sedan is the less popular than the Vitz/Liftback through out the world
Old 12-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #44
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
The hatchback has a shorter wheelbase.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #45
Meteorite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
Personally, no disrespect intended but the sedan just looks bland without aftermarket parts. Most of the base model sedans all look the same these days. Yaris, Corolla, Mazda... the HB just plain stands out. Even if the sedan had been available when I bought mine I would have stuck with the HB.
Agreed. Although I went for 3D HB.
Meteorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 PM   #46
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite View Post
Agreed. Although I went for 3D HB.
Admit it, you just wanted that SEXY ASS METEORITE COLOR!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:21 AM   #47
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
I dont wanna start a new topic on a little question, but i have read the storage section of the toyota yaris manual and in my manual it says theres a tray under the passengers seat!!!!! i didnt know that!! but i dont know australian yaris's has it cuz i have looked under the seat about 20 times now to see if theres a tray there but there isnt :(

Anyone has a tray under the passenger seat!??
Old 01-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #48
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22 View Post
Anyone has a tray under the passenger seat!??
Stick your hands above where the bar is for the passenger seat adjustment to move it forwards and backwards. There is a plastic tray there. Lift up and pull. It's there... Trust me.. I've used it many times.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #49
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
IMHO, Sedans look more mature/conservative and Liftbacks look more fun/playful. I could never own a sedan of anything. It's just not me. From a practical standpoint, a sedan just cant fit stuff like a hatchback. I have had 2 Honda Civics Hatchbacks (1988 CX and 1992 VX) and loved them both very much. I also owned a 1996 Civic HX Coupe with the CVT and loved it as well. The coupe was fun, but not practical.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #50
EgonSpengler
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I was torn between the sedan and 5DR, eventually went with the sedan.

I like the look of the car. I grew up with sedans, so they look correct to me. The 5DR is a nice cargo hauler, but if that was my priority, I would have been at the Honda dealership trying to buy a Fit. My primary reason for choosing the sedan was I felt the trunk was better suited to a baby stroller than the 5DR. Don't have kids yet, but I plan to while I own the car.

So far the sedan has performed well on airport runs. The trunk holds many bags without inconveniencing the passengers.

I think all Yaris's look great. I smile whenever I see one.
EgonSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #51
Nivyn

Drives: Blk Sand Pearl 2007 Yaris LE
I think I chose a liftback for the following reasons:

1) I always loved hatches.
2) They're pretty cute and you can tell it's a Yaris. (On the Sedan you can't really notice it).
3) Parallel parking is a little easier
4) fits perfectly into a tiny parking space
5) came with promotional MP3 6 disc changer where and when I purchased the car.
6) Roomy and sporty
7) about 3 cup holders and 4 bottle holders in the doors.
8) Only need enough cargo/room and seats for me and a few friends.
Nivyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #52
Yaris TTE JWRC

Drives: 07 5spd red Yaris HB 1.5L 16V
For me, i wanted a sporty car, so i picked 3dr hb, we dont have the 5dr hatch in the US anyway. personally for me, I think the sedan, wagon, and 5dr hatch are family cars, 2dr coupe and 3dr hatch are usually more sporty looking and because a sports car doesnt need all the extra door, also helps in order to reduce the unneeded weight, as well as the transmisstion on the car, Auto to me are used as family cars, and manuals are for performance, like sports cars, the color too, red, yellow, such as the Ferrari's and some blue are mostly for sports cars ,silver, black, and white are usually for luxury cars, such as the M-Benz. it is just my opinion, for family cars they can be any color, but not red nor yellow, in that case, a family with a sporty color will not be a good combo.

Last edited by Yaris TTE JWRC; 01-08-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Yaris TTE JWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #53
Landinors
IT Pro

Drives: METEORITE 07LB
Hey, All LB 3 Coups ARE the best. Got mine this weekend 07LB3 for $13,450 US$. METEORITE, SPT SFTER KNOB, SPT PEDAL CVRS, 5-PC CARP MAT SET, EXH TIP, CTR ARMRST RR TAIL LTS, Keyless Entry With the power option.
Landinors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #54
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
What ar RR TAIL LTS?
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote