Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Which is more performance oriented...Tein stechs or TigerTecs?

Just wondering which of the two would offer the better performance as far as springs go? Also which ones sit the car lower?

The TigerTecs that I have already put the car pretty low (but not slammed) so I can't imagine springs that would make the car be any lower.

The reason I ask about the performance aspect is because the spring rates are as follows..

TigerTecs--Front:4k--Rear:3k

Tein S-Techs--Front:3k--Rear:3.5k

So the Tigertecs are stiffer up front and looser in the rear,
but the Teins are looser up front and stiffer in the rear...

What exactly would the difference be in those ratings? And I'm taking in account also that the Teins are supposebly lower than the TigerTecs, so that would also lower the cars center of gravity?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
thats a good question. if you plan on the big rear sway bar, i think the tigertecs would be the way to go. if you dont plan on a rear bar, or get the smaller version, i would get the teins. it seems to really help this car by having a stiff rear end.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Some people say the Teins are "bouncy", but I haven't ridden in a car with them installed. Also, yes, I think the Teins are a little more of a drop than the TigerTecs. A shorter spring (lower drop) will need a higher rate to "match" a taller spring with a lower rate.

My Silk Roads are 7k front 5k rear but feel fine on the street. I really don't think you can just compare rates and 100% have that translate into how the car feels while driving it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Some people say the Teins are "bouncy", but I haven't ridden in a car with them installed. Also, yes, I think the Teins are a little more of a drop than the TigerTecs. A shorter spring (lower drop) will need a higher rate to "match" a taller spring with a lower rate.

My Silk Roads are 7k front 5k rear but feel fine on the street. I really don't think you can just compare rates and 100% have that translate into how the car feels while driving it.
one of the reasons i stayed away from the teins was the amount they lowered the car. the reduction in front strut travel made me nervous, front struts are very sensitive to ride height, and alot of time, going low can do more damage to handling that keeping it higher.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Actually , If you only change just the springs the Tigers will give you more understeer , the Teins will give you more oversteer . Understeer is safer . Oversteer , with lots of practice in a safe environment , can be fun and an advantage in a tight situation ...

The Tein with TRD shocks to me are pretty darn good . I'll admit , its not the absolute best set up for the track , they are not silky smooth , nor are they harsh . For mountain driving , they are perfect .

Last edited by HTM Yaris; 12-30-2009 at 08:39 PM.
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
detroiter

Thanks for the insight HTM. So why would the Teins give more oversteer and the Tigers would give understeer? I just want to make sure I understand things right. My current setup is Tokicos, TigerTec springs and a UR 23mm sway bar. I'm thinking whether or not of switching to Tein S-Techs or not, if there is even much difference between them and the TigerTecs to justify switching springs.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I had Tein S-Techs in my evo and didn't like them. They lowered the car too much, and were too bouncy.

Based on specs alone, I would probably go for the TigerTecs if you're leaning towards performance.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Thanks for the insight HTM. So why would the Teins give more oversteer and the Tigers would give understeer? I just want to make sure I understand things right. My current setup is Tokicos, TigerTec springs and a UR 23mm sway bar. I'm thinking whether or not of switching to Tein S-Techs or not, if there is even much difference between them and the TigerTecs to justify switching springs.
Alright. I tried before on Tanabe NF(2.5 frt & 2.2 rear) and Tein Stech (3 frt & 3.5 rear)springs. Those are about the same category of spring rate set-up as you posted, softer on the front to the rear and vice versa.

How much do you find your current set-up in your ride? Do you like them to be more over-steer(increase steering)? If not, it will be good for you to stay as it is.

I must say that the Tein S-tech are really stiff over my NF springs but they provide me SO MUCH more of steering which i love it but i really can't take the "super low" form and discomfort due to the high stiffness. In the end i sacrifice the "increased steering" for more "comfort" by putting back my NF springs. It is all about compromise.

Any car with higher spring rate on the front than the rear will provide u more "understeer" characteristic.

Where higher spring rate on the rear than the front will provide you more "oversteer" characteristic.

Hope the above will help you to make better decision.
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
detroiter

Well I'd prefer to have an oversteer tendency than understeer. I'm curious since I'm running Tokico shocks, would I run into rubbing from the tires and bottoming out if I went with the Tein's? I havn't had any issues from bottoming out or rubbing with the TigerTecs even when I have people in the car. But since the rear springs on the Teins are even stiffer than the Tigers, I'd imagine it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
The only thing i'm afriad is that how much lower is the Stech gonna give as compare to Tiger springs.

You'll love the "increase" steering by having a higher spring rate on the rear than the front.

The best and safest bet, get those lightly used set of S-tech springs. If they do rub on the rear with passagers for being too low, you can easily change back to your tiger without burning big hole on your pocket.
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
Brentorius

Drives: 07 Mazda MX5 Copper Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Well I'd prefer to have an oversteer tendency than understeer. I'm curious since I'm running Tokico shocks, would I run into rubbing from the tires and bottoming out if I went with the Tein's? I havn't had any issues from bottoming out or rubbing with the TigerTecs even when I have people in the car. But since the rear springs on the Teins are even stiffer than the Tigers, I'd imagine it wouldn't be an issue.
I am installing tein springs with the tokico blues on Wed. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
detroiter

Please do man! ^

Like I said, I don't think it would be a problem since the rear springs are stiffer than the Tigers, but since the Tein springs make it a bit lower in stance, I wonder if that would compensate and cause the possibility of rubbing or bottoming out.

The lightly used Teins are not a bad item but for $200, I can get a brand new set. I'd rather just spend the extra 25 bucks.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
HTM Yaris
resident senior

You should be fine with the Tiger Techs . The addition of the UR sway bar should balance it out pretty good .

I've had 5 adults in my car . Never bottomed out . The car actually rides smoother with more people (weight) .
Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
detroiter

Which springs is it that you never bottomed out with HTM? Appreciate all your guys help.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Actually , I you only change just the springs the Tigers will give you more understeer , the Teins will give you more oversteer . Understeer is safer . Oversteer , with lots of practice in a safe environment , can be fun and an advantage in a tight situation ...

The Tein with TRD shocks to me are pretty darn good . I'll admit , its not the absolute best set up for the track , they are not silky smooth , nor are they harsh . For mountain driving , they are perfect .
+1, I like my S.Techs and TRD shocks.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #16
coffiend

Drives: 08 Black LB
<3 my green springs :D
coffiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:29 AM   #17
alch3miss

Drives: Toyota Yaris
i love my tein coilovers
alch3miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Tein Stech . Sorry for the late reply . The operating room has been hopping lately . Everybody is trying to get their surgeries done before the end of the year . Lately we have been averaging 150 surgeries ...a day . 20-30 of those involve me . Tommorow ....163 cases are scheduled