Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Another "my tires are rubbing thread what can i do about it"....

Okay so my suspension is as follows. TRD springs 10mm spacers and i have konig feathers with 205/55/15s. Not sure about the offset or really what offset means. My best guess is its how offset the rim is from the center of the hub? Which would explain why the same tires on same size rims the stock ones did not rub but soon as i changed the rims its rubbing now. Seems most prominent when going over a huge bump or a pothole on high speeds and also if someone else is in the car.

Looking at a few of my options the obvious one would be to go to a smaller diameter tire like a 50 but that would be a waste of money at this point as my tires are brand new.

I am also thinking of getting tokiko shocks and struts. I am hoping that will cure all my problems. Hopefully someone else who has put on rims and tires on lowered springs but didn't not change their struts can post their before and after results.

Lastly i am thinking of rolling the fenders. Looking at where the tire is hitting the fender i don't think it will help much. The rear tires are hitting a bit as well but i attribute that to the hub spacers i have in already. I am debating about taking out the spare tire to see if that would make any difference with the rear rubbing. My commute is non freeway and i keep a AAA card in my wallet at all times.

What do you guys think, few experts come to mind when i think about asking wheel and tire questions if you could chime in.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp to calculate offset

basically the rim width split in half is 0 offset, higher offset say +45 (stock wheel) compared to a +35 (assuming same width) means the +45 wheel sits in 10mm more. Use the calculator because it gets more difficult to compute when different width wheels are used. One thing i have been told is the yaris is set crooked on the frame, my right rear rubs with weight on bump/pot hole (my tires are shorter too), visibly sits further out than rear left. Im on 12mm spacer, so if i could get a 10mm i should be fine. Either roll the fender or camber shim, or take out the spacer.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #3
YarisSedan

My rubbing only occurs on driver side which makes sense cause thats where im sitting so thats where the weight is. But even with a passanger to balance the weight out it still only occurs on front and back on drivers side. So if i dial in negative camber in the front this should help a little right? I am getting excessive outer wear already from excessive hard cornering so this should balance things out.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
ezhacker1

sounds like your car is crooked too. width and offset of your wheels must be close enough to have rub.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Back when the PG spacers were first coming out, people installing the 13mm starting posting about rubs on the left side but not the right. It was becoming apparent that the Yaris hubs are not positioned equally in the rear wheel wells. The left hub sits a few mm more outboard than the right hub.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
YarisSedan

Hmm thats really strange.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
YarisSedan

Knowing this PG spacers should be made uneven slightly. Like it should come in a 8mm and 10mm pack and 13mm and 11mm to offset this imbalance.

I just went out and looked at my tires the one that has the worse damage from rubbing is the left rear. While the right rear has none at all. Strange....
Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
offset! very important..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
205 tires can have a tendency to rub; they did on my car. I ran 205/50/16 tires on a 16x7 wheel with a +37 offset wheel and had tons of rubbing.

I ran a 205/50/15 tire (actually a bit shorter than your tires) on 15x6.5 wheels a +38 offset, still rubbed like crazy.

Switching to a 195/55/15 tire (so 10mm narrower) on a +40 offset wheel on 15x7s (for a total of 12mm narrower) really helped my rubbing. I'm pretty low on coilovers and rarely rub now.

Switching shocks will likely do nothing. However, switching to a 195/55/15 tire will help.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
If your not rubbing, your not low enough :-)
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Okay so my suspension is as follows. TRD springs 10mm spacers and i have konig feathers with 205/55/15s. Not sure about the offset or really what offset means. My best guess is its how offset the rim is from the center of the hub? Which would explain why the same tires on same size rims the stock ones did not rub but soon as i changed the rims its rubbing now. Seems most prominent when going over a huge bump or a pothole on high speeds and also if someone else is in the car.

Looking at a few of my options the obvious one would be to go to a smaller diameter tire like a 50 but that would be a waste of money at this point as my tires are brand new.

I am also thinking of getting tokiko shocks and struts. I am hoping that will cure all my problems. Hopefully someone else who has put on rims and tires on lowered springs but didn't not change their struts can post their before and after results.

Lastly i am thinking of rolling the fenders. Looking at where the tire is hitting the fender i don't think it will help much. The rear tires are hitting a bit as well but i attribute that to the hub spacers i have in already. I am debating about taking out the spare tire to see if that would make any difference with the rear rubbing. My commute is non freeway and i keep a AAA card in my wallet at all times.

What do you guys think, few experts come to mind when i think about asking wheel and tire questions if you could chime in.
I'll be able to give you feedback once I get my tokicos from garm in the mail.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp to calculate offset

basically the rim width split in half is 0 offset, higher offset say +45 (stock wheel) compared to a +35 (assuming same width) means the +45 wheel sits in 10mm more. Use the calculator because it gets more difficult to compute when different width wheels are used. One thing i have been told is the yaris is set crooked on the frame, my right rear rubs with weight on bump/pot hole (my tires are shorter too), visibly sits further out than rear left. Im on 12mm spacer, so if i could get a 10mm i should be fine. Either roll the fender or camber shim, or take out the spacer.
Mine is the same way Wonder why toyota did that. When I first noticed it I thought my frame was tweaked and my car had been in an unreported accident.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
YarisSedan

Well after some researching I guess im going to roll the fenders. I bought the tool one bay and going to give it a try once it comes in. Maybe post a mini diy. Hopefully there is no cracking in the clear coat. I am just going to roll the upper portion just a bit not the entire fender. Really thats only where the rubbing is anyways. If it works id be willing to roll local members fenders for a small fee maybe 35 dollars. Heck of a lot cheaper than paying a professional bodyshop.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
Brentorius

Drives: 07 Mazda MX5 Copper Red
Quote:
Well after some researching I guess im going to roll the fenders. I bought the tool one bay and going to give it a try once it comes in. Maybe post a mini diy. Hopefully there is no cracking in the clear coat. I am just going to roll the upper portion just a bit not the entire fender. Really thats only where the rubbing is anyways. If it works id be willing to roll local members fenders for a small fee maybe 35 dollars. Heck of a lot cheaper than paying a professional bodyshop.
I rolled the fender on my <former> miata. Heat it up well and go slow; you should be fine.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Buy 195/50/15 on some 15's....Im using 185/55/15 on my rota slips and stretching them an inch :)... But i rub on stockers with TRD springs when i have 4 people in the car which is bad cause now its going to be dumb with my coilovers on and a 2.5" drop :(
Old 12-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
ezhacker1

Quote:
Knowing this PG spacers should be made uneven slightly. Like it should come in a 8mm and 10mm pack and 13mm and 11mm to offset this imbalance.

I just went out and looked at my tires the one that has the worse damage from rubbing is the left rear. While the right rear has none at all. Strange....
thats exactly what i think should be done. In my case, my right rear is noticeably sticking out more and rubs.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #17
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Rolled the fenders on my fiances yaris and she is WAY lower then you. Still rubbed. Check the part of of the innner fender where the fender bolts to the bumper. That big part that stick out is where she was rubbing. Cut it out, used a selt tapping screw to hold it all together, no more rubs. Well that is until we corrected all camber and now it rubs a little agian. Next we have to pull the fenders.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
ezhacker1

^ are you referring to the gooey stuff that im assuming is a type of glue to hold stuff together?