Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Bluecatcottage
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 07
Unhappy Broken broken aircon pump pulley + dual mass crank pulley

Has this happened to anyone else? It happened to me yesterday as I was driving down a steep hill, there was a loud bang under the bonnet and the red battery light came on. I couldn't pull over immediately and then there was a second loud bang and the red temperature light came on. I was able to pull over and the pulleys were shattered, belt broken and bits were everywhere. My Yaris is 5.5 years old with 65k miles on the clock. Any idea how much this will cost to fix?
Bluecatcottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It is definitely not a common occurrence. Is the center of the crank pulley still bolted on, or did it come loose and then zing around under the hood?

The compressor pulley is not purchasable separately, and a new compressor runs over $1000 from the dealer. A new crank pulley is about $120. With both, you can pick up used ones from a junkyard or off ebay for significantly less. When swapping out the compressor, the refrigerant will be lost, so you will also have the cost of evacuating and refilling it.