Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Best Buy did a hack job on my component install......

So anyways i ordered everything from crutchfield which included the 6.5 speaker adaptors with wiring harness and was debating about installing it myself but i didnt have a hole saw. And i wanted the tweeters mounted in the plastic sails to give it a oem look.

About a month after the install i was getting this horrible rattling sound. I had like 50 ft left of b-quite left in my garage so i figured it put a little around the speakers to help dampen it some. When i removed the door panel to my dismay i found clearly the reason for the rattle.

One the speaker adaptor wasnt installed using the factory holes. It was just drilled into the door panel for what reason i dont know. So the little tabs that were supose to line up with the holes were sticking out one blocking where the door clips goes to. So i guess they just threw away that clip

Second the speaker where it screws into the speaker adaptor. Was not screwd at all. You are probally thinking how is the speaker held to the adaptor if its not screwed into it. Well the 4 screws are screwed into the outside of the adaptor plate. Apparently they couldnt line it up to the holes and didnt want to make new holes. Even though they felt it right to drill new holes into my door. So the screws are at a angle of even pressure on all 4 sides keeping the speaker held in place. One tug from my finger and the speaker fell out of the door. I had to put it back into the adaptor plate and just screw it into the adaptor. Any monkey with half a brain could have figured it out but apparently they couldnt. I have never been so pissed.

I took the other door panel off and it was installed properly. So what went on the drivers side i have no idea.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
That's why I demand to watch installation on anything and everything (though I do most everything myself). If the shop doesn't like it or claim "for insurance reasons we can't let you in" ....then I take it somewhere where I can watch. That's BS!
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
well it looks like your install was done by a well trained installer on one side and on the other side you had the "bored apppliance guy" looking for something fun to do. This why i do all my own hack jobs, which i am proud of ;)

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
That's why I demand to watch installation on anything and everything (though I do most everything myself). If the shop doesn't like it or claim "for insurance reasons we can't let you in" ....then I take it somewhere where I can watch. That's BS!
I'm not sure about BestBuy's, but here at the toyota dealer mechanics' shop... they must allow you in the garage, but they clearly says, and it's written all over the places that they are not responsible if anything happens to you.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
yeah... there are bad installers all over the place... and BB seems to have their fair share.

frankly, I'm surprised BB even installed your speakers considering you bought them from Crutchfield.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Quote:
Well i am a mechanic by profession and i know how annoying it is to have a customer standing over your shoulder watching every move and asking questions every 10 seconds about what you are doing so i was going to give them the same courtesy and hope they would do a good job but i guess iw as wrong. I never let anyone touch my car till now. Even I do my own oil changes. Which consists of racking the car properly so the lift points dont even have dents or scratches. And i hand torque my wheels to 76ft lbs when they are removed not impacted on.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
tetzyamis
'09 5dr

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5-Door Bayou Blue
Wow, that's terrible.
How much did you pay for the installation?
You could've bought wireless drill for $40, I think.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
best buy did the same thing when i had them install a sirius receiver in my trunk. they just drilled it on. it rusted, leaked water into my trunk..then said it wasnt their fault...wtf
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Stereo installations done by the wrong shop can be a nightmare. I do all my own for this reason; yes it takes longer, but all connections are soldered and all wires run cleanly/neatly and zip tied securely in place.

Can you imagine the job they would have done on a cruise control install?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
YEAH!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
lol sounds like the job my audio has on it.. i took it to autobacs, where i bought everything.. and let the guy install it.. i bought 5.25 for the rear, like stock.. guy calls me like 2 hrs into install & says i have to put 6.5 in rear cuz thats what should be there.. yea ok, sure.. well since iv been having some problems with my speakers, i have my ex open it up n look for me.. jackass drilled holes into the metal(like all jagged n stuff!) and installed the speaker directly to the metal.. we only looked at that one speaker.. now im beginning to wonder if that is really the reason for my speakers going out on turns and bumps.. i have yet to look at the other speakers cuz im scared...lol

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, i learned to not let anyone install my stuff when i was younger...first "newer" car i bought, i purchased front speakers for...the place i bought it from said they would install the speakers for free...i took them up on it sadly.

a 500 pound dude waddled his way to my then almost new cavalier. lets just say american compact cars suspension was not meant for such weight...poor car sagged as he drove it into the shop...and ripped the door panels off...literally.

i ended up buying new plastic clips for the door panels, he stripped out the screws, damaged the plastic panels, and my car reaked like a gym sock for a couple days.

i was a 16 year old kid at the time, and i was pissed, but, i never even spoke to the shop manager about it...i just fixed it all myself.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #13
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Quote:
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #14
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlnblkdrs View Post
lol sounds like the job my audio has on it.. i took it to autobacs, where i bought everything.. and let the guy install it.. i bought 5.25 for the rear, like stock.. guy calls me like 2 hrs into install & says i have to put 6.5 in rear cuz thats what should be there.. yea ok, sure.. well since iv been having some problems with my speakers, i have my ex open it up n look for me.. jackass drilled holes into the metal(like all jagged n stuff!) and installed the speaker directly to the metal.. we only looked at that one speaker.. now im beginning to wonder if that is really the reason for my speakers going out on turns and bumps.. i have yet to look at the other speakers cuz im scared...lol
If your speakers cut out on bumps and stuff, you might want to check the slide on connectors on the rear of your speakers for the + and - to see if they are in place all the way, if loose that'll happen. It's a pain to take the door panels off to check but it might fix your problem.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #15
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Sad part on shops doing installs is they are on a time crunch and cut a lot of corners.

BB did my Viper install on my tC. I told the guy I have a lot of wire runs in the dash for my LEDs and if he wanted I could move it out of the way to give him more room..

He was like no it is fine......I only need to get at the fuse panel.....hour goes by and he is done.......everything works great.......a week later I turn on my LEDs and they do not go on......

He pulled off my hot lead to the switch to get to the second plug in the fuse box to power the alarm and forgot to plug it in again.Luckily it was not the other plug form the battery that goes straight to switch.

Good rule is to always request to see all speakers and how they are installed before panels go back on.
Check all power cable runs,RCA runs,and stay around the area so they know you are there and monitoring your install but from a distance so you are not over their shoulder.

Also the best way to make sure things like speakers and decks are installed correctly is to do them your self.
There is a lot of info on the internet,you can install a AVIC using nothing more than Google and the pictures of how to install in any car.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
The one PR

Drives: 08 yaris HB
Send a message via MSN to The one PR
all the intalations of best buy have waranty turn back your cars and claim your waranty you pay for that is your rigth
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #17
Dysfunctionallx
Caw?

Drives: 08 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Dysfunctionallx
I'm an installer at BB and if we did anything like what I've heard our lead would prob fire us on the spot. Maybe I'm just speaking on behalf of my shop since I have heard some horror stories about other places but they do offer a lifetime warranty on all installs so I would just bring I back and make sure they do it right. I just hate how people judge as a whole based on one shop or experience.
Dysfunctionallx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #18
YarisSedan

Wow this old post came back alive heh. I was thinking about taking my car back but the thing is i already fixed what they did wrong. So there is no evidence. Mainly though i work 6 days a week and have no time at all. The main reason i went to best buy is because i thought they were professional. Another one in valley fair that does lots of high end cars did work on my other car before and they did a good job. They actually have a few awards. This particular one is smaller and I dont know if they have some new inexperienced people or what. I have never seen anything like this in my life it completely shocked me.