Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #1
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
question on brake pin grease

I just inspected brakes on my kid's Yaris and the outer ones had a bit more wear compared to inner ones on both sides. Only about 50% pad wear at 70,000 miles. They were OEM toyota pads (made by Akebano), so I assumed factory. There was some semisolid yellow-gray pin grease, a bit harder than it should be, and the pins a bit stiff, so I re-greased them with the proper pink toyota rubber grease as per the factory manual. I did something right, because the kid came back home safely afterwards.

Now, the question is: is the yellow pin grease factory or the previous owner stuck some bearing grease there?

One more thing, I planned on bleeding the brakes and replacing the brake fluid, but aborted due to brake reservoir hiding way back there under wipers. Do you have to remove wipers to get access there?
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
There is a plastic piece that u can remove to get to the reservoir right above just have a close look and ull see.
As for slider pins I use synthetic grease ( less is more) and spray it with synthetic lube I find it works best ,sliders move nice and free also make sure rubber boots are in good shape. As for where the pads sit use same grease as on pins ..don't need much. Basically all should move free and yes I find that the piston side pad wears out sooner to get more out of ur pads just flip them around .

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
woops

Drives: Jeep Cherokee XJ 1996
If i run out of the Toyota grease i clean the pins and use nlgi 0 or 1 dielectric silicone grease.
I use this grease on most cars except the ones that have pins that aren't covered. . For those I've had good experience with PBC grease. . Learnt this from Nissan
woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
There is a plastic piece that u can remove to get to the reservoir right above just have a close look and ull see.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
yes I find that the piston side pad wears out sooner to get more out of ur pads just flip them around .
My pattern was the opposite.

I found my answer here:

Posted on ToyotaNation Re: sienna brakes. My pins looked similar, but with a bit more of that yellowish grease. Hence it was likely factory grease alright.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
One more thing, I planned on bleeding the brakes and replacing the brake fluid, but aborted due to brake reservoir hiding way back there under wipers. Do you have to remove wipers to get access there?
Make your life easier and go to Canadian Tire or equivalent and buy a syringe for mixing oil/fuel mix. It comes with a short vinyl hose (or you can buy longer) and you can just stick the hose into reservoir to pull out old fluid and put new in. I did this with mine the other day when bleeding my clutch and it worked great and saved me the hassle of having to remove the plastic cover
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote