Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
holy sexy clutch

I drove a 5speed yaris sedan just to get a feel for it when my car comes in, keep in mind I have driven a 5 speed honda fit sport which is 2k more than the car I am getting. The clutch on the Yaris is perfection and the shifter feels so smooth, on the fit the clutch is iffy and you can barely feel when it engages and the shifter although it looks cool is shakey and brittle feeling and doesn't like to go into 3rd.

This is gonna be my 3rd 5 speed car I had a mazda 323 gtx and a civic and out of all of them the yaris has the best feeling tranny. I am afraid this car is going to be to fun to drive and I will find myself taking to long way home.

Bravo toyota
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I agree the clutch is rather nice feeling. heck the transmission is really great as well. I was able to drive the car almost like I've driven it for a long time. Just need to get more use to the take up point on the clutch.

here's to hoping you get yours soon.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Why is right the clutch is a little ....... sudden. Once you get used to it, the drivetrain is fantastic and the engine revs like a motrocycle. You are right Birdy you will be taking the long way home. So much for saving money on gas!
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
I didn't feel like the clutch was sudden at all ...thats weird, it felt just like the clutch in the 323gtx I had but stiffer. I guess its just what I am used to.

I think the car is nearly unable to stall, my verdict is this is a car to buy if you are learning stick. I should let my gf drive one, she can't drive stick worth a crap but she doesn't ever have to so its understandable.
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i found the yaris a bit of an adjustment, and i think that is because of the electronic throttle, it holds onto the rev just a bit longer when you are shifting gears,

but the clutch and shifter are great
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
The clutch is fine, but the gearbox ain't all that. It's no Honda. My first gear has been really hard to slot in since I got it. Seems like it's easing up a little, we'll see if that trend continues.

My biggest complaint is the shitty position of the brake in relation to the accelerator - really really hard to heel-toe with if you're wearing a narrow shoe like Converse, which are my favorite to drive aggressively in. Luckily since it's drive-by-wire you can conceivably stick the accelerator on your dashboard if you want. I'll most likely rig something up this weekend to pull the accelerator forward 1/2 and inch and probably an inch closer to the brake.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Hmmmmmmmm, maybe it WAS the electric throttle????? Or maybe it was just that I had driven the Acura every day for 4 years. Whatever .... it didn't take long to get used to.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:43 AM   #8
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy
I didn't feel like the clutch was sudden at all ...thats weird, it felt just like the clutch in the 323gtx I had but stiffer. I guess its just what I am used to.

I think the car is nearly unable to stall, my verdict is this is a car to buy if you are learning stick. I should let my gf drive one, she can't drive stick worth a crap but she doesn't ever have to so its understandable.
I've stalled mine a couple of times. Just used to my Altima. I prefer the Yaris clutch though. I love it and agree that it feels like a way more expensive car. I just wish I had a short throw shifter on it.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcove
I've stalled mine a couple of times. Just used to my Altima. I prefer the Yaris clutch though. I love it and agree that it feels like a way more expensive car. I just wish I had a short throw shifter on it.
LOL. I think we all do. The throws are way too long.