Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
retro fit project got question? help!

im bored and need to do a project to keep me busy and i chose "PROJECT RETROFIT" retro fitting a projector lense specifically using morimoto mini h1 since i gathered this wont require cutting my stock lense.

heres my question.
* want to blackened the housing DO I need to sand it or can i just paint over it? would it stick..and can i use any regular matte black spray paint..

* and what to use to seal the headlight housing back?

thanks folks!!

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
im bored and need to do a project to keep me busy and i chose "PROJECT RETROFIT" retro fitting a projector lense specifically using morimoto mini h1 since i gathered this wont require cutting my stock lense.

heres my question.
* want to blackened the housing DO I need to sand it or can i just paint over it? would it stick..and can i use any regular matte black spray paint..
--better use hi-temp paint as the headlight can get pretty hot, although TBH i haven't heard of any issues with regular paint

Quote:
* and what to use to seal the headlight housing back?
any silicon-based sealant should work, but of course you should have not removed the OEM sealant that you melted to open the headlight, so first reheat your existing sealant that is still there and add the silicon just for insurance

Quote:
thanks folks!!

Last edited by tk-421; 12-19-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: FTFY
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

cool thanks.. project on the go...im excited...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I have those same projectors. Maybe for the 3 door you won't have to cut, but I had to do a good bit of cutting on my sedan ones. I had to open the back of the housing up a little to get the wiring through, then I had to cut the blinker housing and the plastic bit that attaches directly to the lens. I filled the hole in with JB Weld plastic putty stuff.

I used Krylon Fusion satin black paint for mine. You'll want to sand the chrome stuff off, otherwise the paint won't stick well.

I used the 3m sealant they use around windshields for sealing the lights back up. I've had 0 fogging. Those projectors are awesome, you picked well :) Enjoy them!

Here's some of the cutting I had to do.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

nice.. is that the mini gatling gun shroud or the 2.0.. and what size led did you use??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
I have those same projectors. Maybe for the 3 door you won't have to cut, but I had to do a good bit of cutting on my sedan ones. I had to open the back of the housing up a little to get the wiring through, then I had to cut the blinker housing and the plastic bit that attaches directly to the lens. I filled the hole in with JB Weld plastic putty stuff.

I used Krylon Fusion satin black paint for mine. You'll want to sand the chrome stuff off, otherwise the paint won't stick well.

I used the 3m sealant they use around windshields for sealing the lights back up. I've had 0 fogging. Those projectors are awesome, you picked well :) Enjoy them!

Here's some of the cutting I had to do.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
47_MasoN_47

Yep that's a mini gatling gun. I'm pretty sure it's a 60mm.

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 11-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Yep that's a mini gatling gun. I'm pretty sure it's a 60mm.
nice..im going for the regular size gatling gun shroud..just looking and waiting for some promo..

Old 11-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
47_MasoN_47

You getting yours from TRS or a dealer in Canada? I talked to TRS on the phone a good bit before buying my stuff. Good guys to work with. They're just about 4 hours away from me. They have a lot of helpful videos on their youtube channel too.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
marcus
toyota

Quote:
You getting yours from TRS or a dealer in Canada? I talked to TRS on the phone a good bit before buying my stuff. Good guys to work with. They're just about 4 hours away from me. They have a lot of helpful videos on their youtube channel too.
Ordered it last night...hope I get it before Xmas..:)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.3 KB, 223 views)

Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
marcus
toyota

package recieved... now where to start...

Old 12-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
47_MasoN_47

Be prepared for a lot of work :P

Something that will save you a lot of time is go to ahead and adjust the projectors before even doing anything with the lens. Make your cuts so that the projectors fit into the housing without any binding or pressure points, then go ahead and install them in the car. Get them adjusted where you want, then do the cutting on the lens. I cut my lens first and ended up cutting a whole lot more than I would have had to if I'd adjusted them first.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
marcus
toyota

i got the hatch version i dont think i need to do any cutting at all...unlike the sedan...unless im missing something?

Quote:
Be prepared for a lot of work :P

Something that will save you a lot of time is go to ahead and adjust the projectors before even doing anything with the lens. Make your cuts so that the projectors fit into the housing without any binding or pressure points, then go ahead and install them in the car. Get them adjusted where you want, then do the cutting on the lens. I cut my lens first and ended up cutting a whole lot more than I would have had to if I'd adjusted them first.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
47_MasoN_47

Maybe not, but I'd be pretty surprised.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
marcus
toyota

now im worried...but i did start painting the shrouds..

Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
bestyaris

Drives: Polar White 4 Dr
anybody tried to paint reflecter with PlastiDip?

good idea? bad idea?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #16
Kickyaris09

Drives: 09 yaris blazin blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestyaris View Post
anybody tried to paint reflecter with PlastiDip?

good idea? bad idea?
I would say bad idea...don't want a goey mess in there when the lights heat up.
Kickyaris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
jetaimejsc

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
any pics of update marcus?
jetaimejsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
marcus
toyota

its done i just have to shrink the photos so i can upload it..hopefully tonight,..