Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
escotric

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Whats the best netbook out there in the market?

I am currently in a market for a netbook but its about every month they come out with a new.

I only own a gaming rig that does everything. (AMD, 2.5ghz quad core, 4gb ram, dual 9600gt 512)

I would have to say the HP 2140. You can buy them right now for $299 btw with case and stick of ram.

OSX screen desktop of the 2140. Sleep and lan dont work.(but those hackers are on to it!) Sound and wireless works too!

But since they don't sell them anymore due because its discontinued. Then the eee 1005ha.

escotric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
This thread may have some help: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19444

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Deltasix

Drives: '07 Liftback: Work in Progress
Send a message via AIM to Deltasix
There is really only one good choice for netbooks, and that is Asus.

Power, battery life, and reliability.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
you don't really want a simple atom 1.6ghz. Actually, i have it running with windows server 2003, and it's really fast for what it's going to be doing. But for day to day use, my friend has the EEE901, 2gb ram, 160gb HD. At first, it was quite fast, but after a few programs installed, it gets slow, every click of the mouse requires infinite amount of loading...

the ION platform, with an atom 330 (dual core 1.6ghz) is a much better alternative. Although, i'm not sure which mfg makes it in nettops :P
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Mateo

Drives: Blazing blue 08 LB
I got a MSI wind U100 as a netbook to take to school and after my desktop died it became my only computer. I saw a lot of reviews and all pointed to the MSI wind having a great screen and kyeboard, and i have to say I love it.

newegg has some great prices and this little netbook surprises me all the time.

I even play WoW on it surprisingly well.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Mateo

Drives: Blazing blue 08 LB
The msi wind even has a built in over clocking button, its called turbo mode and even has a pic of a turbo pop up when u turn it on lol, all you have to do is turn it on in the bios then hit function f10 and u over clock it by like 20 something %. With most all netbooks all having the same 1.6 processor this little mode is really cool and usefull. As far as i know its the only netbook with overclocking option form the box.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
I have three netbooks...

Acer Aspire One - got in in fall of 08 with a version of linux (linpus lite --> derived from Fedora 8 I believe), 8GB SSHD, 512 Ram, 3 Cell battery, Atom... good for me at the time just needed a word processor and web browser. But I lost Linpus for some reason due to a 'HAL' error and now its been through about 4 different OS's (xp, kbuntu/xbuntu, moblin and a few others)

Eee901 - 16GBSSHD, 6 Cell, 1GB - now its a parts computer for the other two (Acer currently has 1.5GB ram and is awaiting the Android OS...) Good for the money, but really slow, get the regular hard drive and as much ram as possible

Eee1001 - can't remember the specs but its leaps and bounds better than the 901, came with much more ram and a better processor, currently able to dual boot OSX Leopard and xP this is our primary laptop, good all round computer but it does cost slightly more than the base model acer, get what you pay for - battery lasts decent amount if you put it in power saving modes