Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
YellowJolt

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr LB
Send a message via AIM to YellowJolt
Is the TRD rear sway bar a worthwhile upgrade?

My Toyota dealer can get me a TRD rear sway bar for $151.20 + tax. Along with increasing the tire pressure, is there a better bang-for-the-buck suspension upgrade out there? How much of a difference will I really FEEL? I am not an aggressive driver but I like to be able to corner. It certainly seems like the car rolls in the corners, especially in the rear. I realize the addition of a rear sway bar will make some kind of positive difference, but I would like to hear from those who have made the upgrade (on an otherwise stock Yaris) and who can try and quantify the results for me.

Thanks,
Scott
YellowJolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'm not going to say yes to you about this. I'm going to say HELL YES it's a worthwhile upgrade.

I can't stress to you enough about how different the car will feel based just on "some metal bar". For like an extra 15-20 dollars on that price, you could get an Ultraspeed (I believe that's the brand) rear sway bar which is 5mm thicker than the TRD one. Either choice you make though, the bar will make a massive difference.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Totally worth it.

The TRD bar is 19mm. The Ultra Racing 19mm bar is $134.95 shipped - same thing, different color and brand.

We also have the Ultra Racing 23mm bar for $164.95 shipped.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
YellowJolt

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr LB
Send a message via AIM to YellowJolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I'm not going to say yes to you about this. I'm going to say HELL YES it's a worthwhile upgrade.

I can't stress to you enough about how different the car will feel based just on "some metal bar". For like an extra 15-20 dollars on that price, you could get an Ultraspeed (I believe that's the brand) rear sway bar which is 5mm thicker than the TRD one. Either choice you make though, the bar will make a massive difference.
Thank you for your reply. So I will definitely feel this improvement with some spirited driving? Did you adjust your tire pressure up at the same time? I forgot to add that my car came with the 15" alloy wheels and the much-maligned Bridgestone Potenza rubber.
YellowJolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
although i have not tried the 23mm bar that garm carries, i do have a trd one and i love it! its a great upgrade!
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So I will definitely feel this improvement with some spirited driving?
Yes, and I doubt you'll find a single person on here to disagree. It's just one of those things the car should have from the factory.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
please dont flame on me, but what is the reasoning behind the two differnt sizes?

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

19mm was the size of the TRD sway bar, so we matched that with the lower priced Ultra Racing bar. Then for even more stiffness/anti-roll, we requested a 23mm bar. It turns out the larger bar works great.

In race conditions especially (higher g forces and at the limit of traction), the larger bar will provide more stability than the smaller one. It's $30 more.

So you have two price points and two slightly different purposed bars to choose from.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
my next purchase will be the anti-roll bar, and probably the 23mm; many members believe it's a fantastic upgrade. if you're looking for traction and stability under spirited driving, new tires help too!

oh, and also you can probably install this sucker yourself, with a socket wrench I bet-- no need to give any more money back to the dealership :D
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I put the sway bar on a stock yaris. You can definitely feel a difference in hard turns, and it keeps the car straighter in high winds.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
kmf123kmf

Drives: '09 Black 5DR AT
Does anyone know how much a dealer/mechanic would charge to do this install? 1 hour minimum labor charge?

I'd love to do this myself someday but as it is I'd have to buy a jack, stands, and a torque wrench which probably adds up to more than the 1 hour labor charge.
kmf123kmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmf123kmf View Post
Does anyone know how much a dealer/mechanic would charge to do this install? 1 hour minimum labor charge?

I'd love to do this myself someday but as it is I'd have to buy a jack, stands, and a torque wrench which probably adds up to more than the 1 hour labor charge.
I paid the mechanic $18. Anything more than that and you're getting ripped off IMHO. It took them 5-10 mins tops.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
i don't know if you need all that to be honest... i installed a driveshaft on a bronco with nothing special (that's a tad redneck)-- but don't be afraid to get under there! :D

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16743

check the third paragraph

or here too:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...31&postcount=3
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
kmf123kmf

Drives: '09 Black 5DR AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
i don't know if you need all that to be honest... i installed a driveshaft on a bronco with nothing special (that's a tad redneck)-- but don't be afraid to get under there! :D
Thanks for the info! When I finally get my Yaris I'll take a look under the car and see if it seems feasible for me.
kmf123kmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
a must have for the little yaris lb they are very unstable in the wind the trd rear sway bar will help that problem
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Yeah, the installation of the 23mm sway bar didn't take anything special. Didn't need a jack at all. Took me maayyyybe 10 minutes. You can do it if you have a ratchet with a 14mm and a 19mm piece.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have been thinking about adding the rear sway bar and the front strut tower brace for a while now. This thread just bumped it up to the top of my to-do list. I just ordered both parts from microimage for $214 with free shipping.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
thnks!

can you install the bar with the car on the ground or does it have to be jacked up to do it?

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote