Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
Jeanseb29

Drives: Toyota Yaris RS 2011 (HB)
Roll Center Adjusters (extended ball joints)

I just found out that Roll Center Adjusters existed for lowered Yaris.

https://yumesports.ca/product/5851/h...ll-joint-7780/

after reading some theory, it seems like a good mod to improve suspension geometry.

https://functiontheory.com/2019/05/e...-install-them/

Anyone have experience with this mod? Will it make a noticeable change for the Yaris in everyday driving or is this mod more for race cars? Any potential problems?

Thanks for your help!

JS
Jeanseb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:37 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Thanks for sharing the link. I have been looking all over for these over the past couple years and have never found ones for a second gen yaris.

Ilk be picking these up some time this year to use on the track. I have some pretty crazy bump steer on my build, but it is also due to many other factors like larger engine, LSD, wider r comp tires etc.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #3
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanseb29 View Post
I just found out that Roll Center Adjusters existed for lowered Yaris.

https://yumesports.ca/product/5851/h...ll-joint-7780/

after reading some theory, it seems like a good mod to improve suspension geometry.

https://functiontheory.com/2019/05/e...-install-them/

Anyone have experience with this mod? Will it make a noticeable change for the Yaris in everyday driving or is this mod more for race cars? Any potential problems?

Thanks for your help!

JS
Nice find! Thanks for sharing. If your Yaris is lowered, and don't mind spending the $160, I think it's worth doing, but not really a 'have to". But for those who track their car, I bet it's a must.
I read the article, and the car ended up getting lowered by however much longer the ball joint is after install. I don't think it's true for McPherson struts suspension. So don't go buying this hoping you'd lower your car by an inch. I say I'll probably be doing this mod in the future.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Thanks for sharing the link. I have been looking all over for these over the past couple years and have never found ones for a second gen yaris.

Ilk be picking these up some time this year to use on the track. I have some pretty crazy bump steer on my build, but it is also due to many other factors like larger engine, LSD, wider r comp tires etc.
would it make sense to do the angle of the tie rod ends too? i think its only solving half of the issue, does the steering rack angle matter?
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
would it make sense to do the angle of the tie rod ends too? i think its only solving half of the issue, does the steering rack angle matter?
Can you just flip how it's mounted from the bottom to the top? Never mind, dumb comment. I was thinking if it vehicle was raised, and I think the mounting holes are tapered.

Last edited by Neinris; 03-19-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I had something similar on my old vw jetta coupe. They were just extensions installed on the oem ball joints. They also came with a tierod flip kit. The tierod mounts on the steering knuckle were to be drilled out and a tapered sleeve installed allowing you to mount the tierods on the bottom of the steering knuckle to maintain a proper downward angle. They worked beautifully as a combination. Zero bump steer

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Neinris

Since I'm replacing the bushings in my lower control arms, I went ahead and tried to place an order for a set of these. I'm not sure if they're just out of stock or what, because upon checking out, where I was expecting to put in my billing info, it asked for my email address instead to send me notification, I guess to send me a quote.

In my search for an alternative site to order from, you guys may already know this, but I just discovered that it's also the same part for an MR-S's lower control arm. The one's that I found are from Australia, I didn't want to pay double, due to shipping cost. So I'll continue looking around.

My snooping around also led me to spyderchat, and bump into this thread, pun not intended, where they're talking about similar issues; https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/w....155667/page-3

Not sure if it'd work for the Yaris though, Passat inner tie rod and S-14 bump steer kit.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Since I'm replacing the bushings in my lower control arms, I went ahead and tried to place an order for a set of these. I'm not sure if they're just out of stock or what, because upon checking out, where I was expecting to put in my billing info, it asked for my email address instead to send me notification, I guess to send me a quote.

In my search for an alternative site to order from, you guys may already know this, but I just discovered that it's also the same part for an MR-S's lower control arm. The one's that I found are from Australia, I didn't want to pay double, due to shipping cost. So I'll continue looking around.

My snooping around also led me to spyderchat, and bump into this thread, pun not intended, where they're talking about similar issues; https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/w....155667/page-3

Not sure if it'd work for the Yaris though, Passat inner tie rod and S-14 bump steer kit.
I ordered them from Yume sports from the above link. Lead time is 2-3 months. It sucks but that seems to he the norm right now with current supply issues.

I'll post an update when they eventually come in and I have some seat time with them. My plan is to also order caster adjustable control arm bushings from power flex to replace my bon adjustable whiteline ones.

Reason is I'll have to get an alignment done and I don't want to have to do it twice.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:23 PM   #9
Neinris

Quote:
I ordered them from Yume sports from the above link. Lead time is 2-3 months. It sucks but that seems to he the norm right now with current supply issues.

I'll post an update when they eventually come in and I have some seat time with them. My plan is to also order caster adjustable control arm bushings from power flex to replace my bon adjustable whiteline ones.

Reason is I'll have to get an alignment done and I don't want to have to do it twice.
Oh wow 2-3 months... I don’t want to wait that long to replace my bushings. Just wanted to do them at the same time since it would have been convenient.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
Neinris

here's another supposed site:

https://www.aleksracing.com/hardrace...ios-yaris-vitz

I received an invoice from them, and it comes out to $226 USD! Why Am I paying $70 for shipping when it’s not even overnight and it’s within the States?

Update: They said it's coming straight from Taiwan, that's why shipping is $70. I don't know, I might just bite the bullet on this. Wait is supposedly 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by Neinris; 04-30-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:41 AM   #11
Neinris

Quote:

Tmontague did you ever get these? I never got around to getting them and now they're out of stock again, or marked up from the other website.
I was hoping you'd have a picture to compare the stock and extended ones.
I'm tempted to get a stock ball joint and compare it to a Civic or RSX/Integra, since they have more on the market, and see if they have the same diameter (body and tapered end).
I think I can just cut in the channel, with my friend's lathe, for the snap ring to the right height.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #12
tmontague

I had ordered them and they were being brought in on a shipping container a few months down the road. I ended up selling my Yaris and cancelled the order.

Sorry but I won't be much help. I ordered them out of a company from BC Canads
Old 10-24-2022, 01:20 PM   #13
Neinris

Quote:
I had ordered them and they were being brought in on a shipping container a few months down the road. I ended up selling my Yaris and cancelled the order.

Sorry but I won't be much help. I ordered them out of a company from BC Canads
All good! I was just wondering if they're worth getting. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:35 PM   #14
Neinris

And another one...

Apparently Megan Racing makes extended lower ball joints too...

https://meganracing.com/mrs-ty-1050-ii

Tags
adjusters, balljoints, roll center