Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2022, 01:30 AM   #1
stiglitz

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris MT
Replacing front struts and rear shocks questions

Should both sides of the car be jacked up to replace the front struts & springs? Same question for the rear shocks & springs.

For the front struts I was going to follow this video, which looks like he has only one side jacked up. But I'd like verification from you fine folks.

For the rear shocks I was going to follow this video. Rear springs this video.

If you have any other tricks or tips, I'd appreciate it. I'm doing front struts & springs, rear shocks & springs, TRD rear sway bar, and new wheels. From my research on the forum it seems pretty straight forward, but anything helps. I found these torque specs:

Front struts
Bottom mounting bolts: 121 ft lb really? That high?
Brake hose mounting bolt: 22 ft lb
Top spring compression nut: 25 ft lb - not sure what nut this is? Haven't seen it in any videos
Top nut: 41 ft lb
Stabilizer bar bolts: 55 ft lb

Rear shocks
Top nut: 18 ft lb
Bottom bolt: 36 ft lb

Lug nuts: 76 ft lb
stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
so heres the real answer, if you have a swaybar, jack up both sides, no swaybar you can do 1 side at a time...most cars made after 1970s have a front swaybar at the very least

can you do it 1 side than the other..yes but youll struggle with it more due to swaybar trying to "flatten" the ride out

im not sure that the brake line bolt is 22 ftlbs ..might be INCH lbs.....
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
It's easy even with just one jack stand. I've done it one at a time in the past. Once the corner is on a stand, I would remove the jack and use it to lift up the lower control arm to square off the sway bar link, for ease of removal.

Since you have four jack stands, as long as you're on level ground, why not just put the car on all four? Remember to loosen the lug nuts first before you lift that corner. Then you can have someone help you remove things at the same time.

The top spring compression nut is the nut that holds the top spring perch. Make sure your spring is being held by a spring compressor before you remove that nut. You'll see it once you remove the top nut that, which is for the strut mount.

For ease of installation, I removed the whole plastic and metal panels where the windshield wiper motor is housed. They're not hard to remove, just be careful to not break any plastic tabs, and not to scratch your paint with the metal panel.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #4
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
For ease of installation, I removed the whole plastic and metal panels where the windshield wiper motor is housed. They're not hard to remove, just be careful to not break any plastic tabs, and not to scratch your paint with the metal panel.
Solid advice. it's how I do it. Doesn't take long.

I usually do one corner at a time, with a jack and stand. Just a preference for me. No issues. I've done shocks a couple of times this way, and wheel bearings a few times.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lowering springs, rear sway bar, shocks, struts