Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
snow wheels dont have to be ugly!

who says snow wheels should just be ugly?

the wheels were free with some well worn blizzaks on 2 of em, i ran em "ugly" last year and the year before for the 2 weeks or so of "threats" of snow...we just dont see snow much out here...but theres times when its better to be safe than sorry

the wheels themselves are 15inch scion wheels..the blizaks are on their last stretch..should be good for another seasons or 2 depending on how much mileage they get..fronts are brand new hankooks both sets are 195/60/15s

anyway i tossed the wheels in my blasting cabinet and stripped em to raw steel, then i set to welding in 3 threaded inserts on the bead...after that a coat of epoxy primer, 2 coats of high build primer, a day of sanding, then a base coat of omni to body match topped with glamor clear..all the same stuff i used on the spoiler so...new new money spent on anything but the 2 new tires and a new set of chrome lug nuts to finish the look, im looking at getting some "trailer" bearing caps for the centers..aperantly theres a set that fit or so i found on a random post on a scion board also added chrome metal valve stems

"summer" with fresh new rubber too...LOVE the 195/60/14 quadracs AMAZING tire on the car...grippy in all conditions glued down like a gokart..stock struts, spings an no rear swaybar..and while i can feel the need for the rear sway, the car still feels very "dialed" in ..tire size and a lil offset will net you big gains sometimes..185s SUCK anyway

"snows"

2 looks same wheels

these salt flat discs were from another project, and well they are not in the greatest of shape anymore, so i sanded them up and clear coated em, they arnt cherry but as snow wheel covers and a "test" to see how well they work in day to day use, they are good enough..and this is why i added the 3 threaded studs on each wheel

sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:13 AM   #2
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Thats really cool work, I need to repaint my wheels and you are inspiring me!

Looks like you are about to go set some Yari high speed records attempts in! Or maybe off to a snow rally!

I keep looking at these rear spoilers also, yours looks good!
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
Flubby

Drives: 2015 Yaris
Cool! People who don't drive in snow and slush probably don't appreciate what is means to have solid hubcaps for the winter.
Flubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:53 AM   #4
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubby View Post
Cool! People who don't drive in snow and slush probably don't appreciate what is means to have solid hubcaps for the winter.
O have no idea what does it do?
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
O have no idea what does it do?
it keeps the snow from packing up in the wheels

honestly tho we dont get enough snow for that to be an issue unless we head to the mountains...i do miss snowboarding
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote