Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
JohnnyRockets

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
How to add bluetooth?

Hi Everyone! First post here!

I want to add Bluetooth functionality to my 2007 Yaris Sedan but I don't really know much about cars and have never worked on a car myself.

I tried a search for "Bluetooth" on the forums but mostly it comes up with OBDII diagnostic modules (???), which is not really what I'm looking for. Some questions:

A) To replace the radio-area thing/place to add Bluetooth, do you need to replace just the faceplate ("receiver" I think it's called??), or the entire box behind it as well?

B) Where is a good website to buy these? My budget isn't too great; mostly sub-$100.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
JohnnyRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
You need to find a car stereo that supports Bluetooth handsfree for using your phone and/or bluetooth A2DP for streaming music. I doubt you'll find a new one for under $100.00. Maybe check eBay. Just be sure it supports the features you want. Some advertise bluetooth, but it's for the phone only and does not provide for streaming.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
You need to find a car stereo that supports Bluetooth handsfree for using your phone and/or bluetooth A2DP for streaming music. I doubt you'll find a new one for under $100.00. Maybe check eBay. Just be sure it supports the features you want. Some advertise bluetooth, but it's for the phone only and does not provide for streaming.
What is the item I'm looking for called? Can you give me an example?

I need a lot of help as I don't really know what the name is for what I should be looking for. Stereo? Receiver? Radio? Head unit? AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

I searched "ad2p Yaris" and got 0 results from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

???????????

What should I be looking for? What specific terms? And can you give me an example??

Please help!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
You are basically looking for a dedicated bluetooth kit, OR a new radio unit. Either way, there will be some wiring involved, or you can get the local audio shop to install it...

having a bluetooth kit lets you keep your stock radio in the car, but it will look like you having a GPS mounted in a wierd place on your dash/windshield. I suggest a new radio myself. Everything will be clean and better sounding radio to boot.

here's some links for you :)

standalone bluetooth kit

bluetooth enabled radios (stock yaris has a double-din radio, you can get a 1din and have space for CDs or something under the radio)
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
You are basically looking for a dedicated bluetooth kit, OR a new radio unit. Either way, there will be some wiring involved, or you can get the local audio shop to install it...

having a bluetooth kit lets you keep your stock radio in the car, but it will look like you having a GPS mounted in a wierd place on your dash/windshield. I suggest a new radio myself. Everything will be clean and better sounding radio to boot.

here's some links for you :)

standalone bluetooth kit

bluetooth enabled radios (stock yaris has a double-din radio, you can get a 1din and have space for CDs or something under the radio)
- In the first link, which product should I be looking at? Seems like there's a dozen products, very confused

- What about this one? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ss-765DBI.html Will this work? How do I know if it works for the Yaris? (It doesn't list anything about Toyotas or Yaris)
Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
JohnnyRockets

Will this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-XDMA6415-.../dp/B00012O6QQ

And does it not come with the "box" part, ie, is this just the faceplate?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yes all will work. the first link the dozen items work. you just choose the type you like.
the MKi9000, and MKi9100 should be the cheapest with what you wanted.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
JohnnyRockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
yes all will work. the first link the dozen items work. you just choose the type you like.
the MKi9000, and MKi9100 should be the cheapest with what you wanted.
Ahh thanks

I'm checking those two out but somewhat confused. How do they actually connect to the car's stereo system?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
Ahh thanks

I'm checking those two out but somewhat confused. How do they actually connect to the car's stereo system?
I think there are posters here who have installed external bluetooth systems and maybe they'll chime in but... If I had to guess I'd say there's a few power connection wires and a small stereo plug that you would plug into the AUX input of the stereo. My Personal issue with that is that the AUX input on the stock Yaris stereo (head unit, car radio etc. all the same) is crap. Of course a lot depends on your expectations of good sound when streaming music so you may find the AUX input method works great.

In terms of searching out an all in one unit - ignore looking for Yaris specific units as pretty much all car stereos will work - you just need to get an "installation kit" that provides the extra pieces you would need to mount the unit and to take up excess space when moving from one unit to another.

The extra pieces you would need will depend on what kind of unit you currently have. The Yaris stock stereo came in two flavors - Double DIN and Integrated.

In this picture the user went from an integrated to a single DIN unit with installation kit. They also had to purchase a whole new dashboard bezel to accommodate the unit.

Spend some time reading all the stereo installation threads and you'll get a good feel for it. Given your admitted noobishness, a separate bluetooth unit like the Parrot units would be the easiest to install and least expensive route to take.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
ccbsr45

Drives: 2007, 2008 & 2010 Yaris
Built in Bluetooth Radio

I put a Alpine 103 BT Radio (Built in) in my 2007 Yaris. You can order it from from Crutchfield.com. It has free shipping, no tax, and comes with all of the installation gear including instructions. It is around $150. I had a Stereo shop install it for $50.
ccbsr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
if you want simple just go to any automotive audio place and buy the cheapest stereo with bluetooth and let them install it. Or BestBuy, they do that around here.
Be warned though, it will most likely look out of place in your interior. Almost all of aftermarket radios do unless you go to buy a direct replacement unit that comes with all the yaris specific trim (or a unit sized specifically for the weird yaris size). but that's $$$.

at any rate, for a hundred bucks I would just buy a little bluetooth speaker for now and save up around 200-250$ at least. this will give you a functionally decent budget stereo + installation.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
I put in a Parrot ck3000 and it works. The interface has a small foot print. Check it out here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33150

I think it cost me about $55 and since I did the wiring myself, that's all it cost. Looks like this when done:

tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote